Goodbye Kiss.

The Boy Next Door
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

If either of them had any idea what was waiting for them on the other end of the phone, Chanyeol never would've let Kris let go of his hand to answer it and Kris would've probably thrown the phone into the nearest bin in an attempt to avoid this dreadful fate.

 

But they didn't. So Kris answered it.

 

Kris smiled to hear the voice on his phone and the smile turned into an excited grin as the conversation went on. The moment was short-lived though, because the happiness on his face gradually dissolved into a deep frown. The blond walked a few steps away from Chanyeol, muttering things every now and then, pacing back and forth nervously. Chanyeol had never seen Kris in this much distress, and after Kris mumbled a soft goodbye to whoever it was on the other end of the phone, his heart sank to see that Kris' eyes were now filled with tears.

 

The tense atmosphere that suddenly surrounded them began to suffocate Chanyeol and his breathing eventually slowed to a stop.

 

"Is everything okay?"

 

Chanyeol spoke with a trembling voice even though he didn't really know why he was so scared.

 

Kris tried a weak smile, "I'm...not really sure."

 

***

 

"Hyung! Hyung!"

 

After celebrating Valentine's Day with dinner at home, Luhan was washing up the dishes when Sehun came crashing into the kitchen with something in his hand.

 

"Calm down, Sehunnie. What's up?"

 

The boy with the huge grin held up the wrinkled letter he was gripping onto and shoved it in Luhan's face. The elder had to take a few steps backwards before he could read and register what it was.

 

"Dear Mr. Oh, we are pleased to inform you that your application to the Beijing Academy for Gifted and Talented Youths has been successful--Aaaah Sehunnie I'm so happy for you!"

 

Luhan lifted Sehun off the floor and spun him around as he hugged him tightly. Sehun had applied to the Academy a few years ago, but due to problems with his Korean passport, he failed to get accepted into the Academy's high school. Luhan had spent some time applying for a student visa and after that had been approved a few months ago, the Academy finally accepted Sehun into the Academy for a university degree.

 

"We're going to Beijing! We're moving to China! Hyunggie will be so pleased when we tell him!"

 

Realization suddenly hit the both of them and Luhan released Sehun to found that his doubtful face was reflected in the younger's.

 

"We're going to Beijing…" Sehun repeated in a smaller, doubtful voice. Luhan held onto his boyfriend's hand and squeezed it.

 

"We'll be okay."

 

The boy with the scar frowned, not convinced by the elder's words. Luhan took out his phone and handed it over to him with a soft smile.

 

"Call him."

 

***

 

Chanyeol was happy for Sehun, of course he was. But even the most self-less person will eventually have selfish thoughts. He just got Kris back after being months apart from him, he couldn't afford to lose him again.

 

"So now what?"

 

Kris wished that he knew. But he couldn't really produce an answer for Chanyeol. The brunette began to panic as the silence went on. He kept his pleading eyes on his boyfriend, even though the blond was avoiding to meet them.

 

"I'll come with you?"

 

Kris shook his head, "I can't ask that of you. This is huge. You'll regret it as soon as we're on the plane."

 

Chanyeol shrugged with a forced chuckled, "I don't mind. I've always wanted to go to China."

 

The elder sighed, slightly annoyed by Chanyeol's careless outbursts without giving them much thoughts, "We're not talking about a holiday. We're talking about living in a foreign country. Sehun's degree will at least be 3 years and that's how long we'll have to stay. Are you sure that you're up for that?"

 

Chanyeol swallowed. The thought terrified him. He wasn't ready to leave his friends, university and everything that he'd ever known in his life behind to live in a foreign country where he would have zero knowledge of the language and people there. So that plan wouldn't work.

 

"Then stay here. Don't go."

 

Kris rubbed his forehead, "I've got to. I can't just leave him. He may be 18 but he's still a kid."

 

"But Luhan hyung will be with him. He'll be fine. You'll need to let go sooner or later."

 

"He's my brother. Where Sehun goes, I go. He needs me."

 

Chanyeol's heart pounded as the conversation neared its end. Kris had already made up his mind and he now understood that he wasn't going to persuade him. He felt sharp tears stinging his eyes, "I need you."

 

He clung helplessly onto Kris' hand, but Kris remained still, still refusing to look him in the eye. Chanyeol felt so small, so insignificant, but all of his rationality and pride went out of his window when Kris' promise did. He kept one hand on Kris and the other automatically went to the heart shaped pendant that hung on his neck.

 

"You told me that you belonged to me...You promised that we'll stay together…"

 

The tears fell like a string of beads that came loose. He could feel his hand starting to tremble and tightened his grip on Kris' hand even though the elder didn't curl his fingers to intertwine their fingers.

 

Chanyeol didn't care. He refused to let him go. He would do anything to make him stay.

 

Even if it means that he'll have to beg.

 

"Please…"

 

Kris finally looked up, his eyes were also swimming in tears, and spoke in a voice that threatened to crack, "Don't make me choose, Yeollie."

 

Chanyeol snapped, his pain turned into anger, "I'm not making you choose! Why should there be a choice in the first place?"

 

The street became freezing cold, the icy air slowly sank into their skins. The warmth of Kris' presence now failed to give Chanyeol any comfort and the evening air nibbled at him like small needles. On the inside, jealousy and anger were also stabbing at him punching holes in his heart and stomach.

 

If they would've extended their discussion instead of cutting it off at such a bad place, if Chanyeol would've just calmed down and thought  about the whole thing a moment longer, if Kris would've just broken the silence

Please log in to read the full chapter