Then he smiled.

The Boy Next Door
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

To Chanyeol's disappointment, Kris' smile was still a mystery.

 

Everyone seemed to be getting along great at lunch, except the grumpy blond who hardly joined in the conversation. Chanyeol was unusually quiet too, keeping his eyes on the blond. But he wasn't being very subtle about it.

 

"Yah, Hedgehog! Didn't your mother tell you that it's rude to stare?"

 

"No I don't think Kyungsoo's taught us that yet." Baekhyun joked. The rest of them laughed, but the blond's glare remained firm on his face. He was clearly not impressed with the joke.

 

Chanyeol jumped at the harsh words and mumbled an apology sheepishly.

 

Why can't you just ask nicely? Why can't you talk to me in the same tone that you talk to Sehun in? Chanyeol pouted. He doesn't even know why he was getting so worked up on the moody blond. Why does he matter anyway? He's just a big meanie. If he's not going to try and be friendly, I'm not going to bother. Chanyeol thougt decidedly.

 

Despite the small bicker between Chanyeol and Kris, the group of six was in their happy bubble, ignoring the endless chatter and rumours that circulated around them.

 

***

 

After lunch, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo set off to their lecture while Sehun and Luhan went home since they didn't have any classes that afternoon. Only Kris and Chanyeol were left.

 

Kris sighed heavily at his luck. It just so happens that Chanyeol also needed to go the library and Kris didn't really have another place to do his Chemistry research. Chanyeol followed Kris like a puppy dog with his head down while Kris was strutting down the corridor like a friggin' supermodel.

 

The two of them entered the library and Chanyeol stood awkwardly beside Kris when he found a table for two, unsure of whether to sit with Kris or not.

 

"Sit down, hedgehog." Kris ordered. Chanyeol sat down in the seat next to him, being the obedient puppy he was.

 

The two of them studied in silence. Well, at least Kris was studying. Chanyeol had a pile of books in front of him but they were of no interest to him. Instead, he hid behind them to observe Kris' face carefully. He traced Kris' features with his eyes and studied that with fascination instead.

 

Kris was chewing on the end of his pen nonchalantly whilst he read. Perfect skin, perfect eyes, perfect jaw line. Chanyeol noted. His lips were a soft shade of pink. Very kissable, Chanyeol blushed at the thought and moved on. Kris took his pen out of his mouth and twirled it casually on his fingers. Dammit, he even has perfect fingers! What is this man?

 

Chanyeol sighed, a little too loud and caught Kris' attention. He looked up with annoyed yet soft eyes, which made him jump in surprised. Chanyeol got up from his seat to hide his embarrassment and pretended to look for a book in the nearby shelf.

 

However, Kris could still see Chanyeol from the corner of his eyes and observed him with his head down. He saw Chanyeol fumble with the books clumsily and Kris chuckled unexpectedly. He came to his senses and maintained his cool immediately, looking around anxiously to see if anyone noticed. Luckily everyone was busy working with their heads down. He looked back at his textbook, slightly bemused by his own action. Nobody, apart from Sehun and Luhan, has ever managed to make him laugh.

 

His thought was interrupted by a loud crash, a pile of books has fallen off the table near to his.

 

"Watch where you're going, four-eye! I thought those glasses were supposed to make you see better!" Chanyeol was bowing and apologising frantically to the fierce boy in front of him. He had obviously knocked over his books by accident.

 

The boy pushed Chanyeol's head whilst he was bowing, making him tumble backwards slightly. He grabbed the thick glasses off Chanyeol's face and stood on the table, holding them up like a trophy. The crowd surrounding them cheered while Chanyeol was jumping up to try and retrieve his glasses.

 

"I thought you were a tall guy, Channie-boy! Come and get them!" the boy teased, waving the glasses in front of Chanyeol and making him jump up and down. The bully smirked and snapped them in half. Chanyeol whimpered and caught them when they were dropped. He looked at the broken pieces in his hands and was about to burst into tears when a warm yet firm arm wrapped around his shoulders. The loud cheering and amused laughter ceased immediately.

 

It was Kris.

 

He kept one arm around Chanyeol and the other held up his mobile to the boy stood on the table. "Expect a meeting with the headmaster soon, Leeteuk. I'm sure he'll be very interested to know that the president of the student body is actually the leader of bullying when I send him this video. Have a good day!" Kris' voice was light and mocking, but there was a tone of authority in it that told people he was not to be messed with. Leeteuk's jaw dropped to the floor and he mouth opened and closed like a goldfish. He whole body froze and struggled to form a reply. Kris scoffed at how pathetic he was and steered Chanyeol towards the door.

 

"Let's go." he whispered softly to his ears.

 

***

 

Kris' arm stayed around Chanyeol's shoulder until they were out of sight from the others. He released Chanyeol as soon as they reached the outside of the university building. The two tall boys just stood there awkwardly.

 

"Thanks for defending me back there. That was...really nice a-and brave of you." Chanyeol said quietly but his eyes widened abruptly in realisation, "Oh no! They're going to come after you now! I'm so sorry I dragged you into this!" He was about to bow frantically again but Kris waved him off.

 

"Don't worry about it. I wasn't exactly on friendly terms with the guy before anyway. It won't change anything."

 

The awkward silence fell on them again.

 

Chanyeol bit his fingers anxiously again, a bad habit for when he's thinking too hard. Kris was staring attentively at Chanyeol's eyes. He's never had a proper look of them since Chanyeol always hides them behind his glasses. He though they were beautiful and pure, like a child's.

 

Snap out of it, Wufan. Kris blinked hard and shook his head to clear his mind, What are you thinking? This hedgehog? Beautiful?!

 

"Well, I've got somewhere I need to be. So I'll...see you later." Kris nodded at Chanyeol and walked away without another word.

 

Chanyeol was left there in a daze. What the hell just happened?!

 

***

 

Chanyeol had returned home now but his mind was still tangled in a big knot. Neither Kyungsoo nor Baekhyun was back yet so he had no one to consult with.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter