Fairytale.

The Boy Next Door
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Kris' 21st birthday was very different from the ones in the past.

 

It was a birthday without a cake for the first time in his life (since Sehun always, always made sure that he gets a cake). A birthday where he actually went out (instead of the usual simple dinner at home). It was one without any "happy birthday"s and one where he followed orders (instead of giving them out). And most importantly, it was a birthday without Sehun or Luhan.

 

And it was the best birthday of his life.

 

But it was about to end.

 

***

 

Kris was still holding onto Chanyeol with no sign of letting go. The two of them were just stood there inside Kris' large coat, drowning in bliss.

 

Chanyeol's eyes were overfilling with tears which flowed defiantly down his face. He was choking on the air he was breathing in because it was filled with Kris. He closed his eyes and waited. Waited for this fairytale to end, because it had to be a dream. There was no way that any of this was real.

 

Kris was trying to calm his own heartbeat, but it just seemed to increase its pace infinitely. He could feel the younger shivering, so he held on tighter. He couldn't understand what triggered his actions. None of this made any logical sense.

 

But then again, when did love ever make sense?

 

"Stay."

 

This was his final reason.

 

Stay for me.

 

Kris gave no reply, so Chanyeol reluctantly released himself from Kris' embrace and turned around to face the blond.

 

"Please," he pleaded.

 

Kris reached for Chanyeol's flawless face to wipe away the tears with his long fingers. He held Chanyeol's face and smiled.

 

"You're freezing." He held Chanyeol's waist and wrapped him properly inside his coat again. Chanyeol gasped softly as Kris pulled him closer so that the coat would fit around the both of them. His face was dangerously close to Kris'.

 

Kris looked into those familiar brown eyes and leaned in. His heavy and rapid breaths caused Chanyeol's glasses to fog up.

 

"I thought I told you to get rid of these." Kris whispered with a smile. Chanyeol blushed and looked down. He awkwardly took his thick glasses off before he abruptly dropped them to the ground.

 

Kris could taste vanilla in Chanyeol's lips. They were sweeter than he imagined. The brunette carefully slid his arms around Kris' neck and pulled him deeper into the kiss.

 

If this is a dream, I'm going to make the most of it.

 

Chanyeol was struggling for air and opened his mouth to gasp. Kris seized the opportunity and slid his tongue inside the younger's mouth. Their tongues danced but it wasn't aggressive. It was gentle and loving.

 

They were both panting when it ended. Kris placed his forehead against Chanyeol's, refusing to let go of the younger's trembling body. Both had their eyes closed, pausing to regain their breaths.

 

"I love you." The words escaped Chanyeol's lips before he could stop himself. Kris opened his eyes and placed a soft kiss on the younger's forehead. Chanyeol swallowed and waited for his apology, tears escaping his closed eyelids.

 

"Would you understand if I told you that I can't say it back?"

 

The butterflies in Chanyeol's stomach turned into daggers. He didn't know why it still hurt so much when he already expected the painful answer. But it did.

 

"You still can't let go of him." Chanyeol's lips were trembling and his face was washed over with a new set of tears.

 

"I need to sort out my feelings before I can start things anew. I need...some time." The words were hurting him as much as it was hurting Chanyeol. He hated himself for causing the younger so much pain.

 

He cared for the boy. More than he thought he did. It was the first time that he's felt this way towards anyone. He wanted to stay beside him, but now was not the time to be selfish. He would be lying if he said that he was over his previous heartache. It would be unfair to Chanyeol. He needed to clear out his heart before he could fully give it to him.

 

His birthday was nearly over. The fairytale-like dream was ending - even Cinderella had to be home before midnight.

 

It was time to come back to reality and face his problems.

 

"Are you still going to leave?" Chanyeol whispered, burying his head inside Kris' chest. The taller placed a lingering kiss on top of his head.

 

"Yes."

 

***

 

Chanyeol walked into the apartment, face pale as a ghost.

 

"Where have you been, Yeollie? Why didn't you answer my calls?" Kyungsoo walked over to his friend and frowned in concern. "What's the matter?"

 

Chanyeol just shook his head, eyes swollen and emotionless. Kyungsoo fussed over him for a while but the brunette gave no reply. He just walked straight into his room.

 

Kyungsoo looked helplessly towards Baekhyun, who was lounging on the sofa.

 

"Do you know what's going on?" Baekhyun shrugged and stood up, stretching and yawning.

 

"What d'you think happened? Something wrong at the orphanage?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"Don't worry, Umma. He'll be okay." Baekhyun smiled softly and gave the wide-eyed boy a comforting tap on the shoulder, "Good night."

 

Baekhyun sighed knowingly when he was alone in his room.

 

Chanyeol was still wearing Kris' clothes.

 

***

 

They stopped looking.

 

Kris left a voicemail to Sehun, telling him not to worry. He said that he would be back very soon.

 

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Except Chanyeol, of course.

 

Everything was pretty much back to normal.

 <

Please log in to read the full chapter