Envy like a cancer grows.

The Boy Next Door
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The two dancers refused to speak to each other backstage, giving each other dirty looks every now and then. They kept their distance away from each other but made sure that the other was within their sight.

 

Tao accidentally bumped into one of the other competitors on his way over to the toilet. Tao mumbled an apology and moved away from the man.

 

"Whoa! Where do you think you're going?" The buff guy was glaring at the dark-haired boy. Tao frowned and apologised once more, stepping backwards to move away. The guy sneered to his friends.

 

"Hey, you're that Chinese kid. Do...you...speak...Korean?" He mocked, pronouncing and exaggerating every syllable, "I said, where do you think you're going?" Tao's body stiffened and remained silent while the others laughed at him. He could feel his anger boiling inside him and clenched his fists.

 

"Don't." He felt a soft whisper to his ear and a gentle hand around his tightened fists. The gentle boy steered him away from the buff man and the crowd made a theatrical "oooooo" as they passed.

 

"Aww I was only joking with your friend, Byun Baek! No need to be shy!"

 

"You're clearly not a very shy man, Taecyeon. Your flies are undone." Baekhyun called without looking back.

 

He found a spot by the stage where there were less people and stopped there. Tao blinked at Baekhyun but didn't say anything. The elder just kept his eyes on the stage, peering from behind the curtains and didn't even spare him a look.

 

There was a weird air surrounding them and they stayed silent.

 

Soon, it was Baekhyun's turn to dance on the stage.

 

"Hey!" Baekhyun turned his head in surprise at his caller. Tao bit his lip.

 

"Break a leg."

 

One side of Baekhyun's lips turned upwards into a lopsided smile, "Thanks. I'll try not to."

 

Tao's heart was racing and he cringed as soon as Baekhyun disappeared behind the curtains to the stage.

 

What are you doing, Huang Zitao?

 

After Baekhyun, it was Tao's turn and he danced well. Although he almost slipped when he caught Baekhyun's eyes on him.

 

Tao returned from the stage after his performance with a deep sigh of relief and Baekhyun welcomed him with a small smile.

 

"You did well."

 

"I know." Tao smiled cheekily and Baekhyun chuckled softly. The weird air returned and Tao could feel his face warm up.

 

There was only one more contestant before the winner is announced.

 

The two peered from backstage and saw a single spotlight on a toned dancer.

 

The music started and the boy moved like nothing Baekhyun had ever seen. So smooth and elegant, yet strong and y. Baekhyun found himself to be holding his breath and suddenly got very excited about this mysterious stranger. The dancer ended his dance with a move where he bent his hips backwards and pushed himself to stand up with a single hand. He body arched perfectly and he straightened himself, finishing with a smirk. The crowd went crazy and the boy saluted before disappearing back into the darkness as the lights faded.

 

"Who is that?" Baekhyun's eyes glistened with curiosity and admiration, which made Tao frown in annoyance.

 

"Keep your nose to yourself." He snapped. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and glanced around the backstage to see if he could find the mysterious stranger, but there was no sign of him.

 

"I thought you wanted to be the choreographer? That guy could ruin your chance!" Tao said, a little angry.

 

"More reason for me to find out who he is then, huh? Besides, with talents like that, I would gladly give the place of choreographer to him. Someone like him is to be admired." Tao huffed and pouted. The jealousy bug was eating his insides.

 

You never admired my talents.

 

The presenter was gathering the contestants to the stage now, and it was time to announce the winner. Baekhyun grinned as he finally found who he was looking for and kept his eyes firmly placed on the stranger in black as they lined up on the stage.

 

With no surprise, the judges agreed with the chanting crowd that the winner was the Diva in Black. His y smirk was no longer there when he stepped forward to accept the cheers as winner and bowed his head modestly to the crowd.

 

"Now, I'm sure that most of the audience would agree with me when I ask you to do this for me. Could you take off your mask for us?" The crowd cheered in agreement to the presenter. The boy scratched his head shyly but the presenter pushed on. He nodded and took off the mask, revealing a handsome and timid face. The hall exploded with wolf-whistles and cheers.

 

Tao gasped and Baekhyun flung his head round to look at him, "What's wrong? Do you know him?" Tao nodded and an expression of pure horror and shock on his face.

 

"That's Lay. He's my next door neighbour." Baekhyun took another careful look of the boy and recognised him a little. He widened his eyes as the information clicked in his head. He was the shy, Chemistry geek from China.

 

A boy with an alter-ego. Interesting.

 

After they had returned backstage, Lay approached them with a friendly smile.

 

"Hey, Tao."

 

"Hello, gege." Tao smiled awkwardly and introduced his friends to them. Baekhyun smiled brightly

Please log in to read the full chapter