Challenge Accepted.

The Boy Next Door
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

A month went by quickly. It was nearly the end of October already.

 

The six of them had gotten much more comfortable with each other, hanging out almost daily. The rumours and attention given to them had died down significantly now, although Kris and Sehun's "Beauty-and-the-Beast" relationship is still well discussed. It irritated Kris a lot but he managed to accommodate to those, blanking the rude comments and stares towards Sehun whenever they were in public. Sehun had begged Kris to simply ignore the whisperers and keep their heads down, so he did.

 

The confrontation between Kris and Leeteuk managed to make Kris even more popular than he already is. All the girls were drooling over his manliness and the guys wanted to become friends with the hard-core male. Kris never paid any attention to that of course. He just wanted to stay with Sehun, Luhan and the Derp Squad.

 

After hanging out with the Derp Squad for nearly 2 months, he grew fond of them and considered them his friends too. He appreciated the kindness and care that they had shown towards Sehun and in Kris' eyes, anyone who considered Sehun as their friend were his friends too.

 

***

 

It was lunch time.

 

Kyungsoo was heading for the canteen to meet with his friends after practicing his vocals in his free period. He avoided any eye contact with the people he passed by and kept his head down as he walked down the corridor but smiled a little. He had a feeling that something good was going to happen today.

 

"Hey, Kyungsoo!"

 

The greeting made Kyungsoo almost drop his music sheets in surprise. It was definitely someone he didn't expect.

 

"Hi Suho." Kyungsoo managed to squeak and stared at the boy with his usual wide-eye expression plastered on his face. Suho felt his face warm up at the sight and the words fell out of his mind.

 

Kyungsoo waited patiently for the boy to continue but the elder seemed to have forgotten his purpose in initiating the conversation.

 

"You weren't at choir practice last night." Kyungsoo asked.

 

Suho swiftly awoke from his daze, "Yeah I was at the student board meeting. We were discussing the problem regarding the position of the president since Leeteuk...transferred to another university."

 

Kyungsoo nodded knowingly. He had heard that Leeteuk's parents were furious with the school's board and their assessment of the incident at the library that happened a month ago.

 

Leeteuk's parents insisted that the school should punish Kris for publically humiliating their son or they will withdraw their yearly, generous donations to the university. The school's board were not impressed with this blackmail and stated that they should be thankful that Leeteuk isn't being punished for his act of bullying.

 

The case dragged on for a while and Leeteuk was looked down upon from those that were previously his friends. It was the harshness of university life - you could be the most wanted person of all time but your fame could drop to nil within a click of your fingers. With his parent's anger at the university and his own embarrassment to return to school, Leeteuk finally decided to transfer away.

 

"Anyway, the meeting overran a little but we came up with a solution. They've elected me as the new president." Suho said, tilting his head and scratching his neck shyly.

 

Kyungsoo's face lit up and clapped his hands despite the loose music sheets in them. "Congratulations!" Kyungsoo was truly happy for the boy.

 

Suho was the rare exception to the rule of their university. Even though he was popular (not to mention his position as the president of his Business and Management class AND the year representative of the student body), handsome (he had the face of an angel) and ridiculously rich (his family owns about half of Seoul), Suho was not arrogant. He was down-to-earth and worked hard for everything that he did, never taking anything for granted. He was kind and friendly towards Kyungsoo and his friends.

 

Kyungsoo viewed him as a role model. Oh, he's had a massive crush on him since forever...

 

"Thank you." Suho smiled modestly. "So as a celebration, I'm having a party at my apartment next Saturday on the 3rd of November? I think you should come."

 

Kyungsoo's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. "A-a party? You're inviting m-me to your party?!" Even though Suho showed kindness towards Kyungsoo and his friends, he's never had any interactions with them outside of school.

 

"Yeah…I mean now that I'm the president of the school's student body, I feel like I should invite...everyone. Try and get different groups to mingle. And I just thought that it would be nice...to...you know, hang out and...get to know you outside of school too." Kyungsoo tilted in confusion.

 

Suho nervously added, "And your friends too! Obviously. I'd love to meet your friends properly. Bring your friends with you."

 

Kyungsoo's palms were sweating and he clung onto his music sheets harder as he struggled to think properly. Without really knowing why, he nodded and agreed.

 

"Cool. I'll text you the details." Suho said casually.

 

Kyungsoo checked his watch and saw that he was late to lunch. "I've got to go now. I'll see you next week then!" he said, rushing off clumsily.

 

"I'll see you later." Suho said quietly, not really caring that Kyungsoo could no longer hear him and smiled happily to himself.

 

***

 

"Pffft~ You what?!" Baekhyun spurted his orange juice. The rest of them sat at the table leaned backwards immediately to evade the spatter of the drink.

 

"Ew~" Chanyeol was the unlucky person sat directly opposite Baekhyun. Sehun burst into uncontrollable laughter as Chanyeol tried to wipe off the juice on his face on Baekhyun's shirt. The rest of them joined in, even Kris managed a sneaky grin.

 

"Get off me, Yeollie!" Baekhyun whined, slapping the boy away. "Back to what I was saying, we are NOT going to Suho's party. We're gonna get ripped apart! Shredded to pieces! None of us will come out of that party alive."

 

Kris rolled his eyes and smirked, "You're such a drama queen sometimes, ByunBaek." The group laughed again and Baekhyun pouted.

 

"But what do you mean? Why is it so dangerous?" Luhan asked, looking at Baekhyun.

 

"Do you have any idea what happens at these parties?" Luhan and Sehun shook their heads in sync. Baekhyun sighed dramatically. "There's so much to teach you. Only three things could ever happen at social events like this. Number one - alcohol abuse. It's just a known fact that every single person who attends one of those SM snob's party is gonna come out of the doors drunker than…than..."

 

"Cooter Brown?" Kris suggested helpfully.

 

Baekhyun clicked his fingers and pointed at Kris, nodding in agreement. "Yes! Thank you. Drunker than Cooter Brown."

 

"Who's Cooter Brown?" Sehun asked, looking round at his hyungs.

 

"A very drunk person, basically. It's a slang they use in Southern America. I had a friend back in Canada who used to say that all the time. He was originally from Southern America." Chanyeol looked at Kris suspicously and with curiosity. Sehun never mentioned anything about Canada...

 

"Anyway, the excessive amount of alcohol at these parties are not good for us. There's a high chance that we won't be able to return home sober." Baekhyun stated, interrupting Chanyeol's thoughts.

 

Luhan nodded in agreement. "Sehunnie's still a minor. I don't think it'll be good for him to go to parties with so much alcohol." Sehun pouted at this comment and Luhan patted on his head with a light smile.

Please log in to read the full chapter