Ashamed? A shame.

The Boy Next Door
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

He was at an art gallery. Just browsing. He wasn't really sure what he was doing either.

 

He saw a painting of the Eifel Tower.

 

"I'd love to go to France someday. It sounds like an amazing place!"

 

He closed his eyes and suddenly found himself to be stood in a foreign country with a familiar face. The boy has been a regular visitor to his mind recently.

 

He sighed with a heavy heart.

 

I miss you...

 

***

 

"Guys…" Kyungsoo looked at his best friends in turns. Both of them were sat on the sofa with looks of pure annoyance.

 

"I'm sorry," the wide-eyed boy murmured sheepishly.

 

Baekhyun sighed dramatically, "It's okay, Kyunggie. We don't mind. It's not like we're supposed tell each other everything, right Yeol?"

 

Chanyeol swallowed his smirk immediately and joined in, "Yeah, that's right. We weren't expecting you to inform us of your love life because we're not like best friends or anything."

 

Kyungsoo was gawping helplessly at the mocking derps. Baekhyun was not letting Kyungsoo get away with this so easily.

 

"But Umma, give us a day's notice next time before you announce your wedding so that we would at least have time to find a decent tux, okay?" Baekhyun then turned to Chanyeol with a theatrical frown and disappointed expression, "Oh, but then again, you might not even invite us to your wedding. And I was looking forward to being your best man..." Unable to withhold his grin anymore, Chanyeol burst into laughter and Baekhyun soon joined in. Kyungsoo pouted and grabbed the nearest cushion to attack his friends.

 

"You are guys such jerks!" Baekhyun shrieked and grabbed another cushion to retaliate while Chanyeol was bouncing up and down clumsily on the sofa.

 

"Yah! Yah! Mind my leg! It still hurts from dance practice!" Kyungsoo paused momentarily to look at his friend with concern. Baekhyun fell on the sofa and held onto his right ankle, groaning and rolling around. Kyungsoo dropped the cushion in his hands immediately. "I'm so sorry! Are you okay?"

 

Baekhyun peeked through his eyelids to see that the 'enemy' has dropped his guard.

 

"Yeollie, attack!!" Chanyeol jumped onto Kyungsoo who yelped in shock. The three playfully tickled and attacked each other in a pile on the sofa. Their laughters filled the small living room.

 

Luhan and Sehun walked in at the scene. They were meant to be joining their friends for dinner and a movie night. The three derps didn't stop to greet their guests.

 

"Hyung! What's happening? Tickling competition?" Sehun bounced excitedly to the wrestling trio, who finally registered the two.

 

"Hey there, Sehunnie. Hi hyung!" Chanyeol managed to shout before Kyungsoo tackled him again. The three fell to the floor in a heap of laughing mess. Luhan chuckled and helped the Derp Squad get up.

 

"And I thought we were having a quiet night in tonight. What happened?" Luhan asked while the trio straightened themselves out. Chanyeol and Baekhyun looked towards Kyungsoo, who pouted, with a smirk.

 

"Umma found us an new appa!" Kyungsoo nudged Chanyeol harshly and blushed. Both Luhan and Sehun widened their eyes and waited eagerly for one of them to elaborate.

 

"I…"

 

"Kyunggie's going out with Suho!" Baekhyun interrupted eagerly with a wink. Kyungsoo hid his face in his hands while Chanyeol cheered like his usual derpy self, clapping and laughing like an idiot. Sehun bounced excitedly while Luhan smiled warmly and ruffled Kyungsoo's hair.

 

"Our Kyunggie's all grown up!" Kyungsoo smiled awkwardly and looked down in embarrassment.

 

"And I was starting to get worried that Kyunggie was going to hold his breath for the rest of his life!" Baekhyun teased.

 

"So how did it happen, hyung?" Sehun's eyes gleamed with a bright and adoring smile. Kyungsoo blushed and bit his lip in an attempt to hide his smile.

 

"Yeah, actually, we've haven't heard the story either." Baekhyun added and they all gathered around the flustered boy for story time. Kyungsoo took a deep breath.

 

"Well…"

 

***

 

What the just happened?

 

The last 24 hours has been extremely confusing and frustrating for Kai. Nothing made sense. Nothing happened in the way that Kai, or anyone, had expected.

 

Suho, being the sensible and timid gentleman that he is, wasn't meant to rush upstairs and confess his feelings spontaneously. Kyungsoo, derpy yet sane, wasn't meant to agree to being the boyfriend of a guy that he's barely spoken to. And Kai, a natural player and a , wasn't meant to have jealous feelings towards the other two, especially when one of them is the closest thing he has to a friend and the other being the guy that he failed to .

 

What the is happening?!

 

Kai scratched his head in frustration. He hated all this. He hated how frightened he felt when Suho stormed out of their apartment and headed upstairs for Kyungsoo's apartment. He hated how worried he was about what would happen if Kyungsoo knew that Suho felt the same way about him. He hated how his stomach lurched upon hearing that Kyungsoo had accepted Suho's confession and agreed to be his boyfriend, and how he wanted nothing more but to punch his flatmate in the face when he saw how happy he looked.

 

But most of all, he hated how he couldn't understand why he hated it so much.

 

He thought he didn't have a heart, but Kyungsoo obviously proved him wrong. Having all these different feelings was something new for the tanned boy. And he hated it. He felt better when he was a cold heart , around without a care in the world.

 

Things were simpler that way.

 

"...so I just told him that I couldn't keep my eyes off him ever since he joined choir and he's always been someone special for me. He was always...different, you know? Like really innocent and nice and he stands out from the crowd." Suho blushed, "I even gave a cheesy speech about how we could take things slow and start as friends if all this was scaring him but he told me that he totally feels the same for me!" Suho was beaming like the sun. Jongdae was 'aww-ing' and giving all the right animated responses whilst he heard the story, which encouraged Suho to elaborate every little detail with even more enthusiasm.

 

Kai didn't want to hear anymore, but he wanted to prove himself wrong. There was no way that some kid, who clearly had problems keeping his eyes the right size, could just walk into his life and ruin his cool.

 

He didn't care.

 

...right?

 

***

 

Going steady. That was the current state of their relationship, they had both agreed.

 

"So...what are we doing next?" Kyungsoo asked shyly, still finding it difficult to meet Suho's gentle eyes. Suho smiled warmly as he packed up the music sheets in the music room. They had just finished choir practice and the two had remained behind to tidy up, like they have been doing for the past few weeks. The rare alone time was always a bonus.

 

"Fancy going out for dinner?" Kyungsoo nodded eagerly with a timid smile. Suho sighed silently at the sight.

 

Amazing.

 

Suho held his hand as they walked down the empty corridor. It was quite late already and the building was mainly empty. Kyungsoo couldn't help but smile at his own happiness, and luck - he was holding hands with the man of his dreams. Everything was perfect.

 

Suho loosened his grip and let go of his hand unexpectedly when they reached the end of the corridor. Kyungsoo's heart skipped a beat in a bad way, looking at the separated hands and then at Suho's slightly alarmed face.

 

"I…" Suho cleared his throat, "I left something in the music room. Go wait for me outside, okay?" He ran off before Kyungsoo could reply, leaving the latter in a bit of a baffled daze.

 

"Oppa!" Kyungsoo turned around to find a smiling Sulli rushing towards him. The wide-eyed boy managed to form an absent minded smile at the sweet girl.

 

"Hey Sulli. Why weren't you at choir?"

 

"Victoria noona wanted me to do an extra dance practice session, so I had to skip choir." the younger pouted. Kyungsoo nodded knowingly, Baekhyun too, had been practicing hard for the big dance-off competition coming next month.

 

"Have you heard about it yet, oppa?" Sulli asked with a smirk. Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows. Sulli was a sweet girl with only one flaw - her passion for information and gossip. She was Kyungsoo's main source of information, always the one with the latest news and most exciting rumours.

 

"Heard about what?"

 

Sulli let out a dramatic gasp. "You haven't?! How could you not?" Kyungsoo frowned and shook his head. The giggling girl waved for Kyungsoo to lean in a bit and whispered loudly.

 

"Remember a few months ago, when people were speculating who Xiumin oppa's boyfriend was?" Kyungsoo nodded.

 

Xiumin was the first ever student in the history of their university (well maybe not really the entire history, but you get the idea) to ever come of the closet publically. The university has seen gay students before, but nobody was ever as honest and confident about it as Xiumin since people were usually quiet about their ual preferences.

 

It was especially hard for someone like Xiumin, who was amongst the popular social groups, to come out like that. Kyungsoo admired the elder for his courage. Like Baekhyun, he wasn't scared of what others thought about him and was proud of exactly who he is.

 

However, as you would expect from a university like theirs, it caused a lot of controversies. Some dickheads even dragged Xiumin's flatmate, Jongdae, into this mess, sympathising the younger for having to live with a gay person. Luckily, Jongdae was a good friend with decent sense. He didn't care about the rumours and that he got for being friends with Xiumin either. The buzz around Xiumin's uality never really died down but the rumours eventually turned into positive ones. Everyone were secretly happy for Xiumin's bravery. Besides, nobody really fancied pissing off a Taekwondo ninth-degree blackbelt, even if he was gay.

 

"We found out who it is! They held hands in public just today! It was Jongdae oppa afterall! No wonder he was so protective of Xiumin oppa!!" Kyungsoo widened his eyes while Sulli squealed, unable to hide her excitement, "Isn't this exciting?"

 

Before Kyungsoo could form a reply, Suho had returned from the music room and casually joined them. Kyungsoo noticed that he chose to stand beside Sulli, carefully keeping a certain distance away from himself.

 

"Hi Sulli. Hey." Kyungsoo frowned at his boyfriend's greeting. It was detached and strange, as if he was bumping into him for the first time. That and the fact that he's standing in a way which suggested Kyungsoo was an unfamiliar acquaintance to him, made Kyungsoo's stomach lurch. He felt sick.

 

"Hi oppa. I was just telling Kyungsoo oppa about the school's latest couple. I bet you know what I'm talking about." Sulli said with a wink, "Do you know anything that we don't?"

 

Suho quickly shook his head, "I know what you're asking for but sorry, I don't think I know anymore than you do. I've been busy with organising the choir schedules so I haven't spoken to Jongdae for a while. We've kind of bee

Please log in to read the full chapter