Not Fair.

The Boy Next Door
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun didn't take his eyes off Lay the entre time during dinner. Tao thought that he wouldn't even blink if the restaurant exploded during dinner because apparently Lay's stories about China were that interesting.

 

I have stories about China too, Tao thought bitterly.

 

"You know, I never would've thought that the timid Chemistry student would be such a good dancer." Baekhyun said in (what was supposed to be) an alluring voice. Lay just smiled weakly at his compliment, his mind clearly somewhere else.

 

"How well do you know Tao?" Baekhyun blinked as Lay abruptly changed the topic, to talk about Tao. Yet again. Lay had been strangely curious about his dark-haired friend and tried to bring him back into their conversation too many times for Baekhyun's liking.

 

"Not that well, really. We're not exactly best friends. Why do you want to know? Aren't you friends with him?"

 

Lay shook his head, keeping his eyes at the irritated boy in the distance, sitting alone and refusing to talk to anyone, "No, I've spoken to him a few times but that's about it. But I'm glad that I'll have more chance to get to know him now that I'm choreographing the summer productions."

 

"Oh. Really?" Baekhyun was slightly annoyed at Lay's interest in Tao, without knowing why. Maybe he liked his new friend more than he thought.

 

Tao was watching all of this from a distance and his dark eyes glaring at all times. He decided that the best way to get rid of his jealousy bug inside of him is to drown it with alcohol. It somehow made sense to him. It didn't take him long before he was drunk to his bones.

 

When Baekhyun excused himself to go to the bathroom, Lay took this opportunity and made his way over to Tao, who was still glaring at him with his drunken eyes.

 

"Are you drunk?" Lay smirked. Tao grunted something inaudible which made Lay chuckle. He placed the drunken boy's arms around his neck and was about to carry him bridal-style until a shrieking Baekhyun stopped him.

 

"What are you doing?!" Lay released Tao but kept one hand on his waist and shrugged.

 

"He's drunk. I'm taking him home."

 

"T-that's okay. I've got this." A burning feeling was growing inside Baekhyun's stomach and his body moved before his brain could register what he was doing. He pushed Lay aside, a little harsher than he expected, and bent down in front of Tao, throwing his limp arms over his shoulder to pull him on his own back.

 

Tao was a lot heavier than Baekhyun expected.

 

That'll teach you to get someone fat.

 

Lay followed Baekhyun home and they walked on in silence, minus Tao's hiccups.

 

"Gege, I'm thirsty..." Tao was murmuring, but Baekhyun chose to ignore it. Tao groaned and dug his nails into Baekhyun's shoulders, but the elder just kept on walking. Irritated that he wasn't getting what he wanted, Tao then dug his teeth into Baekhyun's shoulders, releasing a strangled scream.

 

"OW! What the , Tao?" Baekhyun gritted his teeth and half wanted to drop the drunken boy onto the floor, but he didn't. Instead, he kept his firm grip on Tao's thighs and threw him further up his back to make sure he didn't fall off.

 

"Why don't you take a break? I'll carry him." Lay offered, moving closer towards the two and taking one of Tao's arms. Baekhyun shifted away immediately, startled by Lay's gesture.

 

The dancer chuckled, "Don't worry, I don't bite. Seriously, you need a break," Seeing that Baekhyun's frowning expression didn't go away, Lay made a compromise, "How about this. You go buy Tao a drink from the store just round this corner, and I'll wait here with him."

 

Baekhyun paused to think for a minute, but Tao's hiccups and the fear of being bitten again made his decision. He gently bent down again and made sure that Tao's feet hit the ground as lightly as possible, afraid to hurt the younger. Lay then took over and carried Tao with his arms around his waist, which made Baekhyun strangely uncomfortable. He didn't like the skinship between Lay and Tao.

 

"I'll...be back soon." Baekhyun murmured, taking one last lingering look at the drunken boy before jogging to the nearest convenient store.

 

As soon as they were alone, Lay's smirk returned to his face and he pinched the younger's face teasingly.

 

"How's my Tao-er doing?"

 

"I hate you."

 

Lay chuckled, "Aww did I go too far? Are you jealous?"

 

"Go away." Tao stumbled away from the dancer's grip and towards the wall. Lay was at his heels and he pinned the boy to the wall with his hands firm on Tao's wrists.

 

"You'll thank me later for this." Lay smirked, revealing his dimple.

 

"Whatever," Tao scoffed, "Let go of me." Lay's smirk grew wider and he leaned into the struggling boy. He heard hurried footsteps coming from around the corner and timed everything well. His lips crashed into Tao's pinched up ones just as Baekhyun reappeared, panting slightly from jogging.

 

"Yah! Get off of him!" Baekhyun pulled Lay away from Tao and pushed the younger behind his protective stance, "What the hell are you doing?!"

 

"Tao was stumbling so I steered him to the wall to straighten him out." Lay simply shrugged.

 

"That's my job! And how did looking after him turn into kissing him?!"

 

"He wanted it too." Lay smirked with a wink at Tao.

 

"But you can't just kiss him!!"

 

"And why not?"

 

"Because...because…" Baekhyun stuttered and couldn't find the words to convey the anger and confusion within him.

 

"Because that's your job too?"  Baekhyun opened his mouth then closed it like a helpless goldfish.

 

Lay looked past Baekhyun to share an amused look with Tao. Then unable to hold in his smile anymore, they both started laughing.

 

Tao suddenly wrapped his arms around Baekhyun's waist and snuggled into his neck with a cute and content smile. Baekhyun frowned, obviously confused by the situation.

 

"What the…?"

 

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry, Baekhyun. I was just messing with ya." Lay ruffled his hair but Baekhyun waved his hand off. He was not impressed.

 

"Explain."

Please log in to read the full chapter