Underwater World, Lei

Is This Magic?

“Where are we?” Hyung Joon asked. Bubbles emerged from his mouth.

 

Hyung Joon looked around. He thought he was talking to someone, but nobody was there. He was just suspended in water, talking freely. In fact, how was he talking freely when he was underwater? Was it his magic?

 

“Stupid, look behind you,” he heard a girl’s voice. The voice wasn’t hindered at all by the water.

 

Hyung Joon spun around so quick he generated a huge amount of bubbles. He was temporarily blinded. Mi Kum’s body slowly emerged as the bubbles rose. Hyung Joon couldn’t help but smile to himself. He was stuck in some underwater world with a pretty girl.

 

“I can’t believe I’m stuck with a baby like you. I’d rather be with that handsome Jung Min,” Mi Kum pouted when she said that.

 

Hyung Joon’s smile turned upside down. Hyung Joon was flipped over by the water current. “You mean that Jung Min? He’s mean. You wouldn’t like him.”

 

“How would you know?”

 

Hyung Joon swam around a bit. The sensation was a bit weird. He could feel the pressure on his body, but it was easy to move around. It somehow felt like he was floating in midair.

 

Just then, a shadow loomed overhead. A bellow erupted from the beast. Mi Kum screeched, and caught hold on Hyung Joon’s arm. Hyung Joon tried to keep calm. He felt the wind tingling from his fingertips as he got ready to defend himself.  “Don’t worry; I am just as brave as Jung Min.” Though that’s not saying much.  He kept the last part to himself. He reached for her hand and gave her a comforting squeeze. She didn’t repel his hand immediately, so his hand did not release instantly, neither.

 

The beast was a mountain. It had the body of a fish, but it seemed overly bloated and blown out of proportion. Its eyes were as big as Hyung Joon’s head, and its fins were small but plentiful. When it heard Mi Kum scream, its eyes shot down towards them, acknowledging their presence. It made a move to approach them, slowly, like a predator stalking its prey.

 

Just then, the current around them took a turn for the worse. The pressure from above grew, and Hyung Joon found himself being compressed and pushed toward the bottom of the sea floor with Mi Kum. It pulled his legs down, and pushed his head down. Compared to before, his breathing was restricted even more. The ocean roared. It increased its hold on the both of them, and then, it was all over.

 

Hyung Joon breathed a sigh of relief, “I felt like I was going to be crushed to death…” Even before he finished his saying, though, they entered a state of free fall. In water, it’s still possible.

 

Hyung Joon couldn’t resist the urge, and his screams joined Mi Kum’s wails as they both clutched tightly onto each other. Darkness swallowed them up.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sang Hee had no prior knowledge of swimming, holding her breath in water, or going under water. This fact panicked her even more as she was suspended in the water. She dared not let one air of breath into her lungs, fearing the water. The pressure from the water blocked all her reason and she could only think of breathing.

 

An unconscious Hyun Joong floated above her. Young Saeng was off to her left. She felt herself losing her focus, and let in a mouthful of air. She panicked and her arms put a death hold on what was in her arms reach: Young Saeng. Young Saeng’s eyes popped open, and, unaware of his surroundings, took a deep breath.

 

Sang Hee was about to scream a warning. It was just then that her muddled brain noticed she could breathe under water perfectly fine. What kind of sorcery was this? There shouldn’t be enough oxygen in the water for breathing.

 

Young Saeng didn’t speak, only glanced at his arm interlocked with Sang Hee’s.

 

Hyun Joong woke up with a yawn, taking the biggest mouthful of breath his lungs could hold. Hyun Joong noticed Sang Hee clutching Young Saeng’s arm as well. His eyes narrowed. He and Young Saeng’s eyes met, and Young Saeng flashed a smile.

 

“Sang Hee, are you hurt?” They simultaneously asked. Hyun Joong gasped as bubbles were produced from his speech. Only then did he notice their surroundings.

 

“Where in the world are we?”

 

“It seems like this place has magic, or else we wouldn’t be able to breathe. Can’t you feel its presence?” Young Saeng replied, “I feel like my whole body is tingling.”

 

They scanned their surroundings. All around them, there was nothing extraordinary; just an immense amount of water and bubbles, sprinkled with bits of seaweed and coral.

 

“Let’s explore.” Hyun Joong took hold of Sang Hee’s hand, and pulled her downwards. This resulted in her grip freeing Young Saeng’s arm.

 

Young Saeng rushed to the other side of her and took her other hand. Sang Hee was oblivious to the struggle, and swam. She liked the feeling of swimming. It felt like she sprouted a pair of fins; she moved like a natural.

 

“I wonder if we can see the floor.” She dragged the both of them, caught up in her fascination.

 

Not far off, Sang Hee saw some bubbles just sprout out of nowhere. She happily moved in the direction, oblivious to the current. Little did she know that once she was within reach, the force would her in, pulling the two boys in with her.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Where are we?” Mi Cha exclaimed in wonder. She had woken up to find herself in a water wonderland. All her readings in science were proving to be false. First strong clouds, now breathing underwater. Kyu Jong awoke at her words beside her. He quickly grabbed her hand, as to not let her drift away.

 

“I don’t like the feeling of this place,” Kyu Jong pulled her closer. He was cautious.

 

Mi Cha didn’t share his cautiousness. She did a few somersaults in the water. It seemed more free than usual. She tried a few more. She decided she liked this place.

 

“This is beautiful!” Mi Cha swam up to the coral reef. It illuminated a luminous glow. She turned around, and was not met by Kyu Jong’s presence, “Kyu Jong! Where are you?”

 

Mi Cha turned around in circles, and did a few more somersaults. Still he was nowhere to be found. Mi Cha sighed, and then let out a shrill scream.

 

Bubbles and the sound of fast swimming were the response. Kyu Jong was in front of her within seconds. “Are you hurt, Mi Cha?” Kyu Jong half yelled. He came up to her, and touched her arm tenderly.

 

“Where did you go?” Mi Cha scolded, “It’s not nice to leave a girl on her own in the big ocean.”

 

Kyu Jong’s cheeks grew flushed. He smiled shyly, and handed her a sea flower. “You’re the first one I like,” Kyu Jong ran away shyly. He looked back, only to meet Mi Cha’s eyes, and turned back.

 

“I love this!” Mi Cha squealed in delight. She threw it up in the air, intending to catch it, but it floated out of her reach. A current got hold of it. Mi Cha quickly followed the flower, only to be swallowed up as well.

 

“Mi Cha!” Kyu Jong recovered from his shyness, and dove straight into the current. Even with his magic power, he could not escape.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Stephie woke up with a start. Then she noticed her surroundings. A vast amount of water. She felt like a stone apart of a mountain. Jung Min was clutching on her arm like a baby. Stephie tried squirming out of his grasp, only to enrage the sleeping Jung Min. His hold got even stronger. Stephie gave up, and let him be.

 

Stephie dragged Jung Min around, and surveyed her surroundings. Her aunt had told her about a place like this. She didn’t actually believe they would have found it.

 

Jung Min aroused from his slumber. He yawned, only to find bubbles produced. Then he looked at his surroundings. He didn’t even notice the strong hold he held on Stephie. He was silent as he did a quick search.

 

“If I guess right, we’re in…” Stephie started.

 

Jung Min finished her sentence, “Hai’s realm.”

 

“I didn’t know the Pai lines led here. I’ve only been here once, when I was five, when Hai was alive.” Stephie swirled around in the water.

 

“I wonder where the others are in this vast void of water,” Jung Min tried not to panic.

 

“I think Hai’s son would have been notified of our unintentional arrival. They might already be headed to the castle.”

 

“An underwater castle, eh? Like Atlantis?” Jung Min smiled.

 

“What is Atlantis?” Stephie asked, confused.

 

Now it was Jung Min’s turn to be confused, “You’ve never heard of Atlantis? The underwater city?”

 

“You mean the place where they used to train child sorcerers? Atlanta?”

 

“No! It was a utopian city, they wouldn’t…” Jung Min searched up Atlantis in his encyclopedia. It came up as an article about… Atlanta. “B-b-but..” Jung Min stuttered in defeat. Then he suddenly got angry. “Why did you have to shatter my dream?” Jung Min turned around, and pouted.

 

“Okay, less talk, I think we should find the current to his castle.” Stephie swam on ahead, without turning back.

 

Jung Min watched her swim away gracefully. He was still mad, though. He contemplated on swimming in the other direction, but that would get him nowhere, wouldn’t it? He sighed and followed.

 

Stephie gave a yell of delight as she spotted bubbles. She danced right in to the current.


Jung Min was horrified, was she crazy? The current looked like it would eat people up. He started retreating.

 

And suddenly, with a giggle, a hand grabbed Jung Min by the leg. Jung Min shouted out in horror, and flailed frantically. His fight ended when he, too, was dragged into the fast current.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Who do I find in my realm in dangerous times like these, snooping around and disturbing the peace? Are you friend or foe?!” The boy was about Stephie’s age. He had long, silky hair that flowed like a river. It was longer than any of the girls’ hair, surprisingly. He had a warrior’s armor on, and wore a stern look. He had a trace of a smirk, though.

 

They were all held down by the guards. Kyu Jong was trying to fight them, but he was held down by magic. Hyung Joon shot fire, but it was quenched by the water.

 

“Lei, don’t you remember me?” Stephie stared into his eyes. She struggled under the guard.

 

“Who? How do I know you?”
 

“I visited when I was five. You were five as well.”

 

A look of happiness suddenly replaced the solemn look. His eyes turned from suspicious to warmth. He flashed a bright smile.

 

“You’re the girl who…” Lei signaled to his guards, and they released the grip on them, “I knew you’d come back. But what took you so long, and why’d you bring so many people?”

 

“It’s hard to find your place. We’re on a mission together.”

 

“Lei is handsome,” Mi Kum whispered to her sister.

 

“I think there is something going on…” Sang Hee smiled. This reminded her of a drama.

 

“Who are you to Stephie?” Jung Min took up the courage to ask.

 

Lei’s stare turned into a glare. Jung Min seemed to feel a feeling inside of him, a weird burning sensation.

 

“I was betrothed to Stephie. Who are YOU?”

 

“I…” Jung Min was speechless. Stephie was taken all this time? “I’m… a… worthless friend.” Jung Min was depressed. He didn’t even know why he felt this way. Nothing ever happened.

 

Kyu Jong patted Jung Min on the back, gently. Mi Kum did, too. A wave of emotion washed over her as she met contact with Jung Min. She felt a lot of despair and anger. She flinched, and let go of Jung Min. The sensation was over.

 

“So, Stephie, tell me how you’re going to do what you plan on doing without dying in the process.” Lei joked.

 

“How else are we supposed to do it, Lei? I wasn’t counting on your help.”

 

“What do you mean? I would do anything for my betrothed.”

 

“Well, we plan on waging war. Up for that, betrothed?” Lei’s shocked reaction was priceless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for not updating! I had a few exams I had to tackle before I got to this. Anyways, please comment! They are appreciated! Tell me what you think should happen =J