2

Always With You

“I’ll have a scoop of chocolate and cheesecake please, kamsahamnida!” Ae Cha happily took her cup of ice-cream. Sang Hee was waiting off to the side, eating some of her ice-cream.

“Let’s go!” the girls linked arms and walked away. “So how was your day?” Ae Cha asked.

“Boring…as usual.” They walked to a park that was close to Sang Hee’s place. They unlinked their arms and sat down on a bench.

“Sooo…”

Sang Hee looked at Ae Cha suspiciously, “What? Is there something you need to tell me?” Sang Hee know whenever Ae Cha started talking like that, it was to give bad news.

“Wellll…” Ae Cha hesitated.

“Come on, just tell me already.” She put a spoon full of ice-cream in .

“I’m moving.” Sang Hee choked on the ice-cream. Ae Cha patted her hack until she calmed down.

“Mwo!?” she shouted as soon as she was safe to talk.

“Well it was up in the air for a while, but my appa was offered a job in Seoul.

Sang Hee stared with hanging open;  the situation was still trying to be wrapped in her mind. “When?”

Ae Cha’s body tensed as she leaned away from Sang Hee, “Next week…”

“MWO!?”

“Trust me, I was just as shock as you were!” Sang Hee glared, “I barely found out yesterday!” Ae Cha defended.

Sang Hee rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Why so soon?” she looked down at her melting ice-cream, which made her more sad. “What about ice-cream Mondays?”

Ae Cha patted Sang Hee’s back again. “You’ll find someone else to eat ice-cream with.”

“But it’s our thing.” Sang Hee was getting frustrated. ‘Why is this happening so suddenly?’ She looked off to the side. A long moment of silent passed.

“Are you going to be ok?”

She scoffed. “Like I have a choice?”

“Mianhae. I didn’t want to tell you this way.”

“It’s ok. Can’t be helped.” She stood up. “I’ll be leaving first.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah.” She stomped off, leaving her ice-cream behind. Ae Cha sighed.

‘This is so stupid. Why can’t they wait till the end of the year for us to graduate together? It’s the worst time to move in the middle of the ye-‘

“You live around here Sang Hee?” Sang Hee’s thoughts and body froze at the annoyingly familiar voice. She slowly started to turn around. ‘Oh gosh, please don’t be him.’ out of the corner of her eyes, she could already recognize Sandeul. ‘Great, just what I need.’ She bit her lip trying not to snap. “Uh…yeah. You’re not following me, are you?”

Sandeul was shocked. “Oh! No! I live around here too.”

Sang Hee raised an eyebrow, “You do?”

“Yeah, over there.” He pointed to a small restaurant being renovated. Just above were some apartment complexes. “My parents bought that restaurant.”

Sang Hee looked, “Oh. Good for you.” She started to leave.

“Maybe we can hang out sometime since we live nearby?”

She stopped, ‘This kid!’ she turned back and walked to him. “Listen. No offence, but I’m not particularly interested in making new friends right now.” She tried not to sound too harsh.

“Why not?”

“It’s…a long story.”

“I have plenty of time.” He smiled. Sang Hee rolled her eyes and took off.

“Well, could you make an exception just this once?” he called after her. She shook her head while trying to walk away faster.

Sandeul sighed. “Don’t take it personally.” He jumped at the random voice and looked around for the person. Ae Cha appeared next to him and put a hand on his shoulder.”

“Eh?” he cocked his head to the side.

“She has a really hard time trusting guys. Well, people in general, but mostly guys.”

“Oh?” he was still confused, but shook the thought off for a second to hold out his hand to Ae Cha. “I’m Sandeul. I’m new here.”

Ae Cha shook his hand. “So I’ve heard. Ae Cha. Welcome to our school slash neighborhood.”

“Thanks.”

“But really, no hard feelings. Her father abandon her and her mom when she was younger, ever since then she’s had trust issues. Don’t tell her I told you.” She brought her finger up to her lips. “I’m just giving you a change since you seem to want to be friends with her.”

Sandeul shied away a little. “She was the first one I talked to in class. Something about her just draws me to her…”

“Aww, does someone have a crush on our Sang Hee?”

Sandeul shook his head franticly. “No, it’s too soon to think of someone that way.”

Ae Cha laughed. “Don’t worry I won’t tell.”

“No. I. It’s-“ Sandeul struggled to find words.

“Anyways, don’t give up. If you bother her enough, she’ll come around.” She gave him a reassuring smile.

“Uhh…thanks.” He smiled back. She gave him a thumbs up, then left for her own house.

--------------

“Umma! I’m home.” Sang Hee kicked off her shoes at the entrance. “Umma?” she looked around the apartment for her mom.

“I’m in my room.” Sang Hee followed the voice to her mom’s room. She opened the door to find her mom lying down in bed.

“You had a hard day?”

“Nah, I’m fine. How was your day sweetie?”

Sang Hee sat on the edge of the bed, “It was ok…I found out that Ae Cha is moving.”

Her mom gasped. “Oh no. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s alright…I guess.”

Her mom took her hand. “It’s ok to be sad, don’t hold it in.”

She stared at the wall, quiet. ‘It’s not like it’ll help anything.’ She sighed and got up.

“Oh…I got a call. From…you appa.” Sang Hee froze. “He wanted to see how you were.”

She clenched her fist hard. “Wanted to see how I was? What’s this? This is so out of the blues.” Her voice began to rise.

“I know. He called so suddenly I didn’t know-“ her mom tried to explain.

“He hasn’t called once in 13 years! Tell him I’m dead!” she shouted and ran out of the room. She slammed her door once she was in her room. ‘Gah! Can this day get any worse?’

There was a small whinny noise. Sang Hee looked down; by her foot was her little dog, jumping and her leg in comfort. “Aw Gingy, come here.” She picked up the tiny ginger fur ball. “Well, at least I can count on you to make things a little brighter.” He wagged his tail, she hugged him tightly.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how was it?? Comment and subscribe please~ and thank you all who have subscribed already!! ^^ you guys are amazing~