24

Always With You

Hand in hand, Sang Hee and Sandeul pushed through the crowd of students. Their seating was in the same row but a few seats away.

“Sandeul! Sang Hee! Fighting!!” Mrs. Lee screamed from the audience.

Sang Hee laughed to herself. ‘Oh crazy Mrs. Lee.’  “Sang Hee- noona I see you!” she turned around to see Min Ki waving his little arm at her. He looked for Sandeul and stuck out his tongue. Sandeul stuck his tongue out at Min Ki too. “Sandeul stop that!” Sang Hee glared at him and he faced forward. When Sang Hee wasn’t looking he turned back around to stick out his tongue at Min Ki one last time.

The graduation ceremony started. Their class president gave the typical speech of being afraid of the world, finding a good job, not knowing what to study in school, but in the end there’s still the hope of everything falling into place. After the speech the students went up one by one to get their diplomas. Once the ceremony was over, Sang Hee and Sandeul made their way to each other, then to his family.

Right away Mrs. Lee jumped to hug them. “Aw my babies graduated!” She grabbed Sang Hee’s face, “Your mom would be so proud. I’m sure she’s watching right now.”

Sang Hee fought back her tears. “Thank you Mrs. Lee, that means a lot to me.” Then Mrs. Lee pulled her into another hug. ‘Umma, I’m sad you couldn’t be here. But I know you are watching.’

“Congratulations you guys. I can sure use your help at the restaurant.” Mr. Lee pulled Sandeul into a headlock, nudging his head.

Mrs. Lee wacked Mr. Lee’s arm, “Don’t force them to work right away, they need a little break.”

Sang Hee smiled at the family. Sandeul smiled back at her but soon frowned when something caught his eyes. She became confused and turned to what he was looking at.

“Sang Hee! Congratulations!” Her dad walked up to her. He opened his arms to herm but she stepped back.

She reached for Sandeul who came by her side. “Why are you here?”

“To see my daughter graduate. Why else?”

Mr. Lee stepped in between them. “Hey, I thought I told you before to leave her alone.”

Her dad glared at him, “And I thought I told you to mind your own business.”

“Yobeo,” Mrs. Lee dragged Mr. Lee to the side. “This is between her and her father, let’s stay out of it.”  

“Are you the bad man that won’t leave noona alone?” Min Ki stared up at the big man in front of him.

Mrs. Lee covered his mouth. “Oh, Min Ki! You need to go to the bathroom? OK! Let’s go!” Mr. Lee picked him up and they left the three alone.

Sandeul face-palmed. “Why is my family so strange?” he said quietly.

“Sandeul.” Sang Hee elbowed him.

“Sorry.” He straightened up.

“What do you want now?” she got straight to the point.  

“I’m giving you one last chance to come live with me. Don’t you want me in your life?”

“No, don’t you get that?” She raised her voice a little but careful to not draw too much attention. “I’m perfectly happy with this family.”

“Well you can’t stay with them forever; and when you have to leave them who will take care of you then? This punk?” he looked over at Sandeul.

Sandeul was taken aback, but grabbed Sang Hee’s hand and took a step closer. “Yes I will. In fact,” he looked at Sang Hee for a long moment, then looked straight back into her father’s eyes. “we’re getting married.”

The whole world came to a halt in Sang Hee’s eyes. ‘WHAT?!’

Her dad chuckled. “Married? HA! You’re way too young.” His chuckles became a full on laugh.

Sang Hee was still in shock, only looking to Sandeul. “We’re in love. And I can and will take care of her.”

Her dad stopped, “Sang Hee, this isn’t true. Right?”

‘Keep your cool, he’s probably saying this to scare him off. Just go with it.’ She looked back to her dad, but looked down right away.

“Yes, its true. And she doesn’t need you anymore.” Sandeul answered for her.

Her dad scoffed. “Fine. Do what you want. Just don’t expect me to come back when everything fails for you.”

Sang Hee looked up, “Good.” She watched her father finally walk out of her life for good.

“Wow, we won’t be seeing him anymore.” Sandeul nudged Sang Hee.

“Heh, yeah.” She shook her head while smiling. “That joke went a little too far don’t you think.”

“Joke?”

“Married?!” she started laughing. “I can’t believe he fell for that!”

Sandeul let out a small laugh, “Yeah….sure.”

Her laugher died down when she saw the seriousness in his face. “You weren’t actually being serious right?”

“Well-“

She pulled her hand away from his. “You were?!”

“Wait, Sang Hee. What I meant was that wouldn’t it be nice if we did get married?”

“Now? Are you crazy?”

“So what if I am. I love you.”

Those words shot her in the heart. “L-love?”

“Yes.”

“I-I-I. This is all too much for me right now.” She started walking away.

“Sang Hee.” He tried to reach for her.

“Just leave me alone.” She stomped away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How was it? Well it is that time again, next chapter is the last chapter!!! Don don doooonnnn.
I was thinking about a bonus chapter, but I will see if my schedule will allows it. If it does then I will put a poll up so keep an eye out for it ^^

Thank you all my subscribers and commenters, you guys are truly the best and I’m so sorry again that I took so long to update for you.