8

Always With You

“Sandeulie!” Sandeul’s mom called out from the restaurant kitchen.

Sandeul finished taking an order from a table before going to his mom. “Yes?”

“I haven’t seen Sang Hee come in yet. Did you remember to invite her to the opening today?”

He face-palmed. “No. I forgot.”

His mom gasped. “How can you forget to invite that girl? Take a break and go get her.”

“Araso.” He handed the order to his mom while untying his apron.

“And tell her…” she lowered her voice, “that jap chae is on the house.”

“Ok.” He whispered back. He left the restaurant.

---------------

Sang Hee stood in the middle of the candy aisle of the convinent store. “Hm…what kind do I want today?”

“Excuse me miss?” the store clerk tapped on Sang Hee’s shoulder.

“Huh? Yes?”

“Someone outside is asking for you.” She bowed and left.

Confused, Sang Hee headed outside. ‘Who would be asking for me? And outside a conviant store?’ she walked outside and stop dead in her tracks.

“Sang Hee-ya.”

--------------

Knock. Knock. Sandeul was outside Sang Hee’s apartment, fixing his hair and clearing his throat.

After a few seconds, Sang Hee’s mom opened the door. “Oh Sandeul-ah!”

He bowed. “Hello Ms. Kim. Is Sang Hee here?”

“Aw no, you just missed her. She left to run some errands.”

“Oh? Ok, when she comes back can you tell her that I was looking for her?”

“Yeah! I’ll let her know.”

“Thank you!” he bowed and left. He looked around once he got outside. “Wonder where she went?”

--------------

“A-appa?” Sang Hee stood frozen.

A tall man with the same dark hair as Sang Hee’s walked up in front of her. “Sang Hee-ya!” He hugged her.

She didn’t move. Shock was still in her eyes. “It’s been a while, please let me take you to lunch so we can catch up.” He let go and smiled at her.

She started to shake her head, “No. I don’t want to go anywhere with you.”

“Yah. I haven’t seen you in 13 years and this is what you say to me?”

“Who’s fault is that.” She snapped back.

He glared but then took a deep breath, “Just come eat lunch, I have to talk to you about something.”

She glared as well, “What do you have to say?”

“Just come, there’s a new restaurant.” He walked behind her and pushed her to walk.

She crossed her arms. ‘He better make this quick.’

Her dad led the way, going in the same direction of where she lived. ‘Wait he’s not taking me to that resturant is he?’ Within a few more blocks they were in front of Sandeul’s restaurant. ‘You’ve got to be kidding me!’ “I’m not going in there.”

“Come on.” They walked in and sat at an empty table.

“Sang Hee! Sang Hee-yah!” Sandeul’s mom waved from the kitchen window. Sang Hee waved back, nervously smiling.

“You know the owner?” her dad asked.

“Yeah.”

Sandeul’s mom came out to their table. “Sang Hee! Did Sandeul find you?”

“No, I haven’t seen him all day.”

“Ai, that boy. Oh I’m sorry sir, welcome.” She bowed.

“Mrs. Lee this is my….appa.” she barely whispered the word. Her dad smiled at her.

Her smile lost a little glow. “Oh? Nice to meet you. I’ll be taking your order.” She looked back Sang Hee. “Would you like some jap chae?”

“Yeah. Thank you.”

 “I’ll take some ddukbokki.” Her dad ordered and passed the menus back to Sandeul’s mom.

“Ok, I’ll be back in a little bit.” She turned away and fast walked to the kitchen.

Her dad cleared his throat, “Anyways. Sang Hee, I came to visit you today to ask you something.”

 She didn’t look at him, “What?”

“Hey show some respect to your appa.” His eyes flared.

Sang Hee slowly look at him with glaring eyes. “Yes?”

He calmed down before speaking again. “I want you to live with me.”

Her eyes widen, “W-what?”

“I want you to come live with me. I know I haven’t been there for you-“

“No you haven’t! Why are you asking me this?”

“Yah! Let me explain.” His voice got a little louder; the rest of the restaurant went quiet.

“I don’t want to hear! Why did you decide all of a sudden to come into my life? You don’t even know me.”

“You are my daughter!”

“I might be, but you’re no father.”

He pound the table as he stood up in anger. Sang Hee froze. She swallowed hard, fearing whatever might come. “I am trying to change. For you.”

“Excuse me sir.” They both turned to the voice. It was Sandeul’s dad.

------------------------

Sandeul took his time going back. He strolled down the street almost reaching the restaurant. He sighed, “Aaa umma will be upset that I didn’t find Sang Hee.” He walked up to the restaurant.

His eyes widen when he saw Sang Hee talking to someone through the window. He saw the man hit the table and stand up. On impulse, Sandeul ran right in.

Sandeul’s dad marched up to their table. “Excuse me sir.” He grabbed Sang Hee’s wrist and pulled her up to hide her behind him. “You need to leave.”

Her father became angry again. “Why?”

“You’re disturbing my costumers.”

“Fine. Sang Hee let’s go.” He tried to grab Sang Hee’s arm.

Sandeul’s dad moved her away. “She’s ok to stay, but you have to leave.” She felt a bit of relief.

“She’s my daughter, we are both leaving.”

“Sang Hee! I need your help on this one problem in math.” Sandeul cut in. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and directed her away. She didn’t bother to argue or flinch away, she just followed.

“Sang Hee! Sang Hee!” her dad called out for her.

“I’m sorry sir, you are going to have to leave.”

“Aish. Whatever.” He stomped out of the building.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dun dun DUUUUUNNN.
sorry this was short. I had a REALLY crappy day. next chapter will be longer and better I promise!! thank you for reading this far subcribers~ ^^ and non-subcribers too! I hope you do subscribe someday :D