1

Always With You

It was a breezy, lightly raining morning. Sang Hee was walking to school under her panda umbrella. She pulled out her headphones from her sweater pocket and placed them in her ears. Her brown eyes focused on the sidewalk as she blasted the music on her iPod.

Suddenly one of her headphones was ripped out of her ear. “Ow!” she brought her hand up to her ear and looked to the side to find the person who seems to have a death wish.

“Sang Hee, what are you listening to?” it was Sang Hee’s best friend, Ae Cha. Ae Cha placed the other headphone in her ear.

“Yah! Why did you have to pull it out of my ear?”

“You weren’t listening to me when I called for you. Share you umbrella please!” Ae Cha had squeezed in under Sang Hee’s umbrella.

“Fine.” She rolled her eyes. “Don’t forget yours next time babo!” They continued their walk to school.

The two of them noticed the entrance of the school was practically empty. Everyone had gone inside early because of the rain. Sang Hee and Ae Cha walked down the crowded hall to their lockers. “I heard you guys got a new student in your class.” Ae Cha said.

Sang Hee ran her fingers through her long black hair as she tried to remember. “Oh! Yeah…so what?”

“I hear he’s very cute!” Ae Cha squealed.

“Eh? Well I wouldn’t know because I don’t care.”

Just as the girls finished grabbing all their books for classes, Sandeul had approached them.

“Hi Sang Hee!” his voice was loud, causing Sang Hee to jump.

She looked over at him. “Oh. Hi.” She turned back to her locker to close it. She took her stuff and walked away, leaving Sandeul and Ae Cha behind. Ae Cha gave him an apologetic look and ran to catch up with Sang Hee. Sandeul looked after them, scratching his light brown hair in confusion.

“Was that him?” Ae Cha nudged Sang Hee.

“Yeah.” She replied flatly.

“Well you could have given a better hello!”

“Why? He’s too…I don’t know…too cheerful and bubbly.” She tried to find the right words.

“And what am I?” Ae Cha stopped.

Sang Hee stopped too. “You’re different because we grew up together!”

“Oh so you’re saying you’re used to me? I see now.”

“Aaaa come on!” Sang Hee smiled and linked her free arm with Ae Cha’s.

“Well I’ll see you later.” Sang Hee left for her class. “And be nice to the new kid.” She added.

“Sure.” Sang Hee walked into her class. She was one of the first few to come in. She took her seat and took out her book to read.

               ‘Be nice to the new kid.’

She remembered Ae Cha’s words. She sighed, ‘it’s not like I don’t want to be nice. He’s just so overtly happy, like nothing bad has ever happened to him.’ she glared at her book thinking about him.

Sandeul had poked his head inside the classroom. He spotted Sang Hee and rushed over to his seat.

“What do you normally do on rainy days?” he turned his chair to face her.

‘What the heck?’ she didn’t move her eyes from her book. “Nothing.”

“Nothing?” Sandeul cocked his head to the side. “Not even reading?”

“Sure.” She still didn’t look up from her book.

His face lit up. “Me too! Well…sometimes. Most times I just like to play out in the rain.”

Sang Hee put down her book in frustration. “Why are you talking to me?”

Sandeul blinked a couple of times, “Um...because we’re in the same class?”

“There are others in our class too, why don’t you talk to them?”

“Why don’t you?”

Sang Hee was taken aback. “Um…I don’t have many friends I guess.” She picked her book back up. ‘Why did I tell him that?’

Sandeul opened his mouth to say something, but the bell rang. Students were filling up the class room. He turned back around. Sang Hee looked up at him. ‘Weird kid…’

--------------

Lunch time approached. Sang Hee and Ae Cha were sitting together at their usual table.

“…I just don’t understand why so many English words have silent letters. What’s the point of them if they’re silent?” Ae Cha was ranting, Sang Hee half listened as she was more focused on eating.

Sang Hee glanced over a few seats next to Ae Cha and saw Sandeul. He was eating alone, but still had on a shining smile.

‘Does he ever not smile?’ she turned back to her food.

“Oh, there’s the new kid! We should invite him to sit with us.” Ae Cha suddenly suggested.

“Sit with you.” Sang Hee corrected. “I have to study.”

“Ai, chincha! Why can’t you make friends with him?”

“Why do you keep insisting I do?” Sang Hee whined.

“Because you need more friends.” Ae Cha’s expression became serious.

Sang Hee perused her lips. ‘What? Is it national make a friend day?’

Ae Cha lightened up a little. “Don’t you get tired of having boring ol’ me around?”

“You’re not boring! And I only need one friend.”

“Well just consider it, you never know…”

Sang Hee rolled her eyes, “Whatever. I’m leaving first.”

“Ok. See you after school.” Ae Cha waved. Sang Hee left the lunch room, going to the library.

Sang Hee found a table to sit at. Quietly she took out her books and notes for her class. She sighed, ‘If this class wasn’t so boring I wouldn’t have to do this every week.’ She flipped open her chemistry text book.

“Can I sit here?” she jumped at the voice. She looked up quickly, it was Sandeul. She nodded then returned to her studying.

“You struggle in chemistry too?” Sandeul noticed the text book. “Maybe we can study together? Since I’m new, I don’t know anyone else I can study with…”

Sang Hee rolled her eyes, ‘Why does he keep talking to me?’ she closed her book. “Um…maybe next time, I have to meet a friend.” She started putting her stuff back in her backpack.

“Oh, ok!” he waved and began to take out his books for study.

Sang Hee turned to leave. She took a few steps, stopped, and looked back. She saw him studying the book with such a serious face. She looked forward again, feeling a little sorry for being rude. She shook it off and left to her classroom to study alone.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I was so late in posting this!!! Here it is and I hope you loved it kekeke

and I will be writing a U-Kiss one-shot really soon!! look forward to it! ^^