Chapter Sixteen

Just Like Cinderella

Chapter Sixteen:

 

••••

 

Your POV

 

I inhaled a deep breath before ringing the bell. My dad greeted me with a relief expression. I bet he was thinking I ran away from home. Yeah even if I ran away from him, he doesn’t have to worry about it. The furthest I can reach is Hyuna’s place and that is only a few minutes walked from home.

 

“Where have you been?” he asked in a worried tone.

 

“Away.” I replied. I glanced behind him, stepmother was standing behind him. Seeing her face made me regret going home. I should just stay at Jinyoung’s restaurant and wash the dishes to pay for my food. I entered the house and walked towards the stairs.

 

“We are not done talking Minjee.” The woman said sternly. She sounded exactly like our principal.

 

I stopped my track. I smirked. My back was facing them. “Then talk.” I said in annoyed tone.

 

“You are grounded.” She announced, wickedly.

 

I let a small sarcastic laugh. “Is that it?” I asked still not facing her.

 

“Ani, somebody needs to do the dishes and it’s you.”

 

“Sure…” I said and headed to the kitchen. Holy cow! What the? How the? The kitchen sink was full, seriously full. It doesn’t look like two were having the dinner. She probably invited the whole neighbourhood. “Did I miss a party or something?” I asked myself

 

It was almost eleven when I was done with the dishes. I took a shower before resting on the bed. I stared at the ceiling and smiled remembering Jinyoung. *Right!*

 

I took my phone and dang! How stupid could I be? I don’t have his phone number. I slapped my forehead and tossed the phone away. “You should ask for his phone number, Yie Minjee!”

 

I slid ender the blanket. I feel bad; he probably is worrying about me. I shut my eyes as I wished tomorrow will come fast.

 

 

Breakfast was hell! I had another argument with that woman and my dad did nothing to stop us. There is something wrong with him. It was as if he was scared of her.

 

I went to school with mix feelings. And boy I don’t have a good feeling about it. The hallway was almost packed with students by the time I reached there. I walked to my locker and was surprised by Jinyoung, who was leaning on my locker.

 

His face lit up when he saw me. “I’m glad your dad didn’t kill you last night. Why didn’t you call me?”

 

I beamed. “I realised I don’t have your phone number.” I chuckled as I keyed in my locker combination.

 

“Really? I thought every girl would have my number by now…” he said.

 

I snapped my head at him. “Well I don’t?”

 

He pinched my cheeks and smiled. “What a charmer! So you wanna go out on a date?”

 

My smile dropped upon hearing his proposal. “You’re kidding right?”

 

He shook his head. “I’m not joking. Why would I?” he asked serious.

 

“But what about the girl you’re looking for?” I asked him.

 

“I told you I give up on her.” He replied. For some reason my heart ached.

 

I shut the locker violently, causing him to jump in surprised. “You can’t give up on her just like that!” I shouted. I covered my mouth right away. *Did I just say that?*

 

He stared at me in confusion. “I’m sorry.” I whispered and hugged my books. “Just ignore me.” I added and walked away.

 

“You’re hiding something are you?” He said as he grabbed my shoulder. I snapped my head at him.

 

“No I’m not!” I failed to compose myself.

 

“Then why are you acting…” he paused, finding the right word. “…weird?”

 

*Me weird?* I shook my head. “I’m not.”

 

“If you said so. But I swear you are hiding something from me.” he said, hand still on my shoulder.

 

He shut his eyes for a while and then lit up his face, “You haven’t answered my question.” He said.

 

I stared at him. “So you wanna go out with me?” he asked again.

 

I shook my head. “No.”

 

“Why?” he dropped his hand to his side. I looked at him apologetically before leaving him behind. I heard gasps from the other students. Some were giving me a dirty look, some were throwing their invisible swords at me.

 

 

I won’t be surprise if I died in the hands of Kim Hyuna. She was shaking me violently. “Why did you do that? He was asking you out!” she yelled as she shook me.

 

I didn’t reply her. Wow, news really spread like virus in this school. After I rejected Jinyoung, every girl was giving me their weird look.

 

“I hate you!” she yelled and stood up. I looked up at her, expressionless. “What is wrong with you?” she asked, annoyed by my reaction.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with me.” I responded as I removed my eyes from her.

 

She sat back next to me and poked my arm. “I know you are hiding something from me.” she said.

 

“I’ve been through s.” I said in audible whispers.

 

“I’m listening.”

 

I gazed at her as I sighed. “I got a new mother from hell.”

 

“WHAT?!” she was surprised. “You’re kidding right?”

 

I shook my head, “I’m not.” I said as serious as the look in my face.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

 

“I don’t wanna talk about it.” I didn’t answer her real question. I fished my hand inside my bag and took out Jinyoung’s watch. I handed it to her. “Take this.” I placed the watch inside her palm.

 

She eyed me in confusion. “Minjee… What…” she stuttered as she stared at the object in her palm. I inhaled a deep breath.

 

“He said he gave up on ‘her’.” I told her in a hint of disappointment.

 

“He what?!” is it me or she was slow today. I glared at her and then flicked her forehead, real hard. She yelped in pain as she used her free hand to sooth her now red forehead.

 

“You’re slow.” I chuckled a bit. She blinked at me as she blew her cheeks. This drives me insane every time, her aeygo is just… “Arggghhh!!!” I shouted and pinched her cheeks.

 

She flapped my hands away, “That hurts!” she pouted.

 

“Then don’t do that aeygo of yours in front of me.” I said.

 

“How do you know he’s giving up?” she asked, this time she was serious.

 

“I kind of…” if I told her about that night, then I have to begin from A. I sighed. I stared at her for a moment. “Listen.”

 

I told her everything. When I said everything, it really meant everything. From the morning of finding about ‘stepmother’ to the dinner with Jinyoung.

 

Once I was done, Hyuna raised her palm at me. I eyed the object in her palm. “So why are you giving this to me?” she asked.

 

“Can you do me a favour?” I stared at her full of hope.

 

She nodded.

 

“Give that back to its owner.” I stood up from my seat and walked away.

 

“NO WAY!” she shouted as she ran after me. “You can’t just give up like that. Just because he give up finding you that doesn’t mean you should too.”

 

“Hyuna, if you are my friend then do it for me.” I stopped walking. She almost bumped into me.

 

“No way.” She was now glaring at me. “If you are my friend then you do it.” she took my left hand and passed me the watch. “I don’t want to do it.” she said and strode away, bumping into my shoulder as she passed by.

 

I only watched her leave. Once she was out of my sight, I looked at my left palm. I touched the leather strip and traced the face of the watch. I closed my palm and then slid the watch inside my left pocket.

 

I bit my lower lips and approached my locker. “Cinderella!”

 

“Oh God…” I muttered. I pretend Baro wasn’t there at all. After a few moments of staring and grinning freakily at me, I gave up. “What do you want?!”

 

“Homework.” He replied as bright as the cherry on the top of a cake. I sighed.