New Life

My Dorky Boyfriend

 

“How’s Jaehwa today?” Luhan asked as soon as he stepped into Jaehwa’s home. He had been visiting her for the past week. Jaehwa had been locking herself in her room, refusing to go out and have fun with her circle of friends. She had been eating less too; making Luhan felt even worried about her health.

“Still the same, Luhan,” Jaehwa’s mother paused, and her face showed that she’s worried as well. She tried everything to cheer up Jaehwa, but she failed. Her husband bought everything that he thought will make Jaehwa jumped in joy but no, she didn’t. “Please, please cheer her up. I don’t know what I should do anymore,” Jaehwa’s mother said, tears were rolling down her cheek. She looked sick as well – maybe she slept less and less these days, thinking of how to cure Jaehwa.

“I will try my best, omoni. Please rest, I don’t want you to fall sick as well,” Luhan slowly brought Jaehwa’s mother to rest on the sofa, before he climbed the stairs. He walked slowly towards a door, cheerfully decorated with cutesy stuffs with a subtle touch of feminity. He sighed, before he knocked the door.

“Jaehwa, do you hear me?” Luhan said while leaning against the door. He put his ear close to the door, trying to hear any faint answers from her. “Oppa comes again today,” he continued, while slowly squatted before he sat on the floor, still leaning against the door.

“How do you feel today? Are you feeling much better than before?” He stopped, hoping that she’ll give an answer. Confirming that she’s not answering, he continued, “I ate cheese rabokki today, your favourite. Remember that you’ll always ask me to treat you cheese rabokki after you watch our practice? And how you’ll puff your cheek when I said no, but jumped happily when the waiter send the rabokki to our table,” he giggled a bit.

“You’re always happy, you’re always smiling, some times I forget that you’re a normal human being just like me, Jaehwa,” Luhan fiddled his fingers. “Because sometimes, you just smile to cover your tears, you just laugh to hide your problems. You keep everything to yourself, acting that you can handle everything by yourself.”

Luhan sighed. “That’s not the problem right now. I just want you to step out from your room, so I can feel you, I can see you, all alive, still breathing in front of me,” a tear escaped Luhan’s eye. “You scare me to death by acting like this, Jaehwa. The Jaehwa I knew is always cheerful and never give up easily. Especially on her life,” he stopped, trying to sob as slow as he could.

“Do you remember that one time when I thought of quiting football because of my injury? Remember how you stopped me, begging me to stay, calling me your ray of hope? Do you remember that, Im Jaehwa?” He began to sob louder. “Because of you, I stay. Because of you, I keep on chasing my dream. If I can do it, why can’t you?”

Luhan stood up, facing the door before he knocked it again. “Please, Jaehwa, please open this door. Do you want to see your mother being admitted into hospital? Or do you even know that Jongin asked to rest for a week because he’s feeling guilty? Do you even know about Eunkyung cried herself to sleep, thinking that you’ll stay like this forever?”

He knocked again. “You promised to listen to my words – why are you ignoring them now?” Luhan asked for the last time, and stopped knocking after there’s still no response from her. “It’s okay if you’re not ready to step out of your room today. I’ll come again tomorrow. Take care Jaehwa, and please take your meals on time.”

Luhan leaned against the door for the last time, wiping his tears before he slowly whispered “I love you, Im Jaehwa. I hate seeing you torturing yourself like this…” He was getting ready to leave before he heard a click from Jaehwa’s room – she’s opening the door.

“O-oppa…”

Luhan turned quickly, and was really surprised to see the pale Jaehwa who barely could stand properly. She had to hold on the knob to support her. He quickly walked towards her, squatted and carried her bridal style and brought her down stairs.

“Omoni, please call ambulance!” Luhan begged, seeing Jaehwa who’s so weak. Her mother was surprised as well, but called the hospital just like Luhan asked. After putting Jaehwa on the sofa and lied her down, he quickly went to the kitchen, and came back with a glass of water and a straw.

“Drink this, no buts,” he said, while taking a sip of the water and transferred it to Jaehwa’s mouth. His heart hurts to see Jaehwa struggling to swallow the plain water. He did that for a few times until Jaehwa stopped him, saying she had no energy left to even swallow the water.

“O-oppa…”

“Don’t talk, Jaehwa. Just rest. I’m going to let this slip, but don’t you ever dare to torture yourself like this again,” he said nicely; not even once he raised his voice to Jaehwa. He caressed her head, played with her hair, while Jaehwa’s mother packed some of Jaehwa’s clothes to bring along to the hospital.

Luhan went to the hospital with Jaehwa, together in the ambulance while Jaehwa’s mother went with her husband in a different car. Luhan kept holding on Jaehwa’s hand, gently rubbing it and smiled to her all the time. He kept comforting her whenever she looked scared, assuring that she’ll be fine. Saying that she’ll be okay. Saying that everything’s going to be just fine.

///

Jaehwa was sleeping soundly and still, Luhan sat by her side, grabbing her hands. She looked pale, she looked different. Whenever Jaehwa looked like she’s experiencing nightmare, Luhan will put his forefinger on her forehead – separating her brows from meeting each other. His mother always did this to him when he’s younger, and naturally, he did the same to Jaehwa as well.

“I love you Jaehwa, please stay healthy after this,” he kept on whispering this to Jaehwa’s ears, repetitively and countlessly till his voice began to fade, slowly and slowly and within seconds, he fell asleep though he tried to stay awake all night.

Jaehwa then opened her eyes after confirming that Luhan had fell asleep. Tears rolling down her cheek – she was touched to see his sincerity. She had totally forgotten about Sehun, which she heard from Luhan that Jongin ended Sehun’s contract to model for his mall and even had a small fight at the studio. She didn’t care; in fact, she felt nothing towards Oh Sehun. She hated him so much; she didn’t want to ever see his face nor listen to his name ever again.

But this foreigner, this gentleman who sat right next to her, she felt thankful that she met him. She used to think that love lasts forever, but nature proved that she’s wrong. Her eyes were wet, but she tried hard not to sob loudly. Her body was trembling a bit as she tried to hold in her tears. She turned her head slowly, looking at the guy with a worried look pasted on his face.

“Oppa, you look better in smiles rather than frowning…” she said it faintly as she didn’t want to wake him up. She then raised her left hand, and put it on top of Luhan’s hand. She was gently brushing it before she tried to reach for his face, but was stopped as Luhan suddenly opened his eyes.

“Jaehwa? You’re awake?” Luhan asked, feeling surprised to see that Jaehwa’s wide awake when he fell asleep. Jaehwa wiped her eyes so quick while Luhan's rubbing his eyes. She then nodded slowly, and her lips curved into a smile afterwards.

“Do you feel much better now?” He’s still looked worried. “Do you want me to call the doctor?” He asked again, asking for confirmation.

“No, he’ll come when he wants,” Jaehwa paused, before beaming a bright smile with her pale face. “I just want you to stay with me,” Jaehwa grabbed Luhan’s hand, shaking it slowly. She tried to do aegyo but failed as she could barely lift her head up.

“Don’t force yourself, just, please, please rest now,” Luhan said, still frowning. He couldn’t even smile to see the girl he loved was still weak.

“Luhan gege…” Jaehwa called for him, eyes on his face.

“Yes my dear? Do you want anything?” He replied immediately, looking all anxious as he tried to get ready to take things for her.

Jaehwa giggled.

“Gege, can you please smile for me? I miss your smile,” She smiled again, and blushed a bit the moment she confessed how she misses to see his smile, especially on that moment.

“Ah, smile? For you?” Luhan looked clueless, but smile afterwards. He gave her the best smile of his, and somehow, it made Jaehwa felt a bit uneasy. Her heart beats faster, and she felt like bloods were rushing to her cheek – it felt warm afterwards.

“My gege looks even handsome while smiling rather than frowning,” she giggled a bit, making Luhan to giggle as well. Gradually, Luhan no longer had the worried look on his face. Spending his time chatting with the sick but hyperactive Jaehwa, made him feel much better as time passed by. He looked at Jaehwa, who’s slowly recovering and gained energy to move around.

Jaehwa kept staring at Luhan when he’s talking, though it made him feel a bit anxious but he ignored the feeling and kept talking, telling stories and joked around with Jaehwa. She laughed, she enjoyed the stories as well, but she couldn’t help but to continue to stare his face.

Why did I just realize that Luhan looks way better than Sehun?” She monologue, being in awe seeing Luhan’s beauty. She continued to stare, especially into Luhan’s beautiful doe-like eyes, making Luhan to shift his gaze even frequent than before.

“Luhan ge…” Unknowingly, Jaehwa called for Luhan who’s telling a story excitedly.

“Yes Jaehwa?”

“I heard…”

“You heard what?”

“Can you come closer? I’m losing my voice now,” Jaehwa asked, gesturing for Luhan to draw his face closer to hers.

Feeling nervous but looked as firm as ever, Luhan then said, “Is this okay? You heard what?” His cheek was few centimeters apart from Jaehwa’s lips.

“I heard your confession,” she answered, and quickly left a peck on his cheek before she covered herself with the blanket. She’s sure that her face was so pink that time, that’s why she wanted to hide it from Luhan.

Luhan, on the other hand, was shocked by the sudden kiss he got. He looked at Jaehwa, clueless about her sudden act. He wanted to ask, but he couldn’t think of any sentence. His mouth formed an ‘O’, his eyes were widen, and he had his hand slowly touching his cheek.

“Is that…” Luhan paused as he’s trying to take the blanket away from Jaehwa’s head.

“Kyaa oppa! Not now! I’m blushing!” She raised her voice a bit, before she grabbed the blanket even tighter.

Finally understood everything, Luhan smiled widely. He’s happy, and he knew she’s happy as well.

“Thank you, Jaehwa.”