Graduation

The Girl that Stole Yabuki's Heart

Hikari cries happily as they enter the graduation hall. Things were not easy, even during the last three days, but they ended the way they should. It seemed like just yesterday that they were practicing their graduation walks.

"Don't look at the guests like that!" Yankumi scolds as Maru walks past her with a squinty glare. Hayato then begins waving his arms stupidly while walking. Out of the whole class, only Ryu and Hikari walked normally. "Is walking normally that difficult for you guys?"

"They're stupid, what do you think?" Hikari points out, laughing at them.

"What'd you say, tomboy?" growls Hayato. "What's the point of walking normally when this way is more fun?!"

"You heard me, girly," she shoots back as the couple glares at each other competitively. "And it's better to be normal and boring than being stupid like you guys!"

"And yet you love someone as stupid as him," Ryu points out, causing Hikari to blush while the others laugh.

"Let's just move on!" Yankumi moans helplessly, nearly crying.

Hikari chuckles slightly at the memory of their failed practices. Then just a while back, their whole class nearly got expelled due to Kudo. Hikari frowns at the thought of Yankumi taking the fall for them. They also nearly gave up graduation for her as a protest against her firing, or resignation as that fake of a superintendant claimed. But now, Yankumi is back, so nothing matters. Were they stupid for nearly giving up their desired graduation? Yes. Was Yankumi worth it though? Definitely, she might not be their official homeroom teacher, but she is still their homeroom teacher in their hearts. They're all moving on from high school together. Not to mention, Saru-... Vice Principal Sawatari somewhat stood up for them against his boss.

"We're all together now," Hayato whispers in her ear as they walk down the aisle together. He casually slips his hand into her's, gripping it sweetly with gentleness yet still firm at the same time. They march quickly to their seats, waiting for the graduation to resume.

"Class 3D's representative, Yabuki, Hayato!" calls the superintendant. Hikari slowly releases his hand for him to walk up. Everyone watches while holding their breath as Hayato walks up like a real honor student to collect his diploma. The little stunt he pulled when Yankumi gave them fake diplomas was something Hikari is anticipating and hoping that he won't do here.

"Don't worry, he'll be mature this time," Ryu whispers quietly to her without moving. When Hayato accepts the paper at the front podium, Yankumi is the first to applaud with tears in her eyes, clearly moved and proud of him for coming such a long way. Ryu and Hikari tie for second in clapping for Hayato.

 


 

Everyone stands there, gazing upon the old classroom they all grew to love so much. 

"Alright guys!" Yankumi cries happily. "Let's go!" Everyone yells with glee in unison.

"Where are we going?" asks Hikari, running with joy after Yankumi.

"Who cares? We graduated! We can go anywhere!" Hayato hollars into the sky, whooping as he runs.

"Let's run into the sunset!" Yankumi screams at the top of her lungs.

"What sunset?" chuckles Ryu, but runs with them anyway. The class finally stop at the top of a hill, all facing their favorite teacher.

"I'll see you guys again," Yankumi says softly, tearing up a bit.

"Stop crying, you're going to make us cry!" Hikari hisses playfully, grasping Hayato's hand a bit tighter for support.

"Thank you for everything!" one of the guys laugh, waving. A few others say their last words to Yankumi as well. He then takes off, along with five or six others running in different directions. The smaller groups within their class leave in the same manner until their golden group is left. Takeda, Tsuchi, and Hyuga all thank Yankumi playfully while Hikari looked shy about it.

"We're really glad we met you," Hayato begins with gratitude. 

"You're our teacher that we can be proud of," continues Ryu.

"Now and forever," Hikari finishes. She leaves Hayato's side to walk closer. "Yankumi, thanks for teaching me that I'm not invincible just because I can fight and for always helping us out. I don't know what kind of a child I would be without you...Cousin." Yankumi's eyes widen at the title.

"Wait we're cousins?! I thought I was your aunt?" she gasps, trying to trace back on the family tree.

"Idiot, even we got the titles correctly," laughs Hayato.

"Your mom and her mom are sisters," Ryu adds, trying to help her out.

"Well, thanks for everything, Yankumi," Tsuchi repeats. "We're off to face our futures head on!" They all turn and run in different directions, leaving a confused Yankumi behind who was still trying to figure out how the family titles work.


 

"That's enough running!" laughs Hikari, forcing Hayato to stop after a long run. "Why'd you make us run so far?"

"To do this," Hayato simply replies, pushing her against a nearby tree for a full make-out session. When they both pull apart for breath, Hayato gets down on one knee. "And this." He smiles brightly at her.

"H-Hayato? D-don't tell me..." gasps Hikari, tearing up again. "I-I..."

"Just kidding!" Hayato laughs, jumping back up and causing Hikari to shriek in shock. "I'm not going to propose to you." Hearing this, Hikari angrily jumps on his back and begins whacking him all over with her diploma. "Hey! Ow! Watch it Toda-Toad! Ow! Not there!" 

"How dare you make me so happy just to do that?!" she demands, hitting him harder. With much effort, Hayato finally manages to calm her down and get her off him.

"You didn't let me finish!" he gasps, trying to regain the breath she stole by choking him. "I'm not going to propose to you yet. I don't want to yet because I want to become a man you can be proud of and depend on first." Once again, Hayato kneels down and makes a ring out of a small flower. Hikari watches as he slowly slips it onto her finger. "See? I don't even have money to buy you a proper promise ring, so this is the best I can do. So will you wait for me? Just a little longer?" He finishes his question with a cute puppy dog look. Since he scared her earlier, Hikari decides to prank him back.

"I don't know... How do I know your feelings for me won't change in a few years?" Hikari asks, faking a thinking look. Hayato whines, taking her into his arms.

"Come on, Hikari! I promise I'll always love you forever!" he cries like a child, hugging her tightly. "And ever and ever and ever and ever!" He repeats the same two words over and over until Hikari silences him with a kiss.

"I was just kidding," she laughs, touched at what he said. Truthfully, Hikari only expected him to say only that he would not change, but what he said was much better. As a result, Hikari pecks him on the lips one more time. "I'll wait for you as long as I have to. And just for the record, you're already the man I can be proud of and depend on."  Grinning like an idiot, Hayato pulls her back in for another deep kiss, dropping their diplomas on the ground. 

They finally graduated and now even if they don't know what their future will be like, they just know they'll remain together for it.

 

 

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait and thanks for those who stayed subscribed to this story! I hope you were satisfied with the ending, sorry if it seems a bit rushed but I didn't want to summarize a whole episode just to add a character in. I thought it'd be better if I added a final scene of the main couple to end this instead.