Saving Ryu Pt. 2

The Girl that Stole Yabuki's Heart

The six of them sit in Yankumi's house awkwardly, not knowing what to do as Hayato had to explain to the other three the truth about Yankumi and Hikari.

"So after you graduate, you're taking over?" Takeda asks cutely. Hikari nods, still uncertain about if she can handle such a task. Knowing this, Hayato grabs her hand in a reassuring manner.

"So that means Hayato will be getting his kicked every day, right?" Tsucchi asks, attempting to lighten the atmosphere. His attempt succeeds, since everyone lets out a small chuckle.

"Ojou!" Minoru calls. "Odagiri's parents are here!" Immediately everyone looks at each other with fear. Surely Ryu's dad has figured out Yankumi's family business and if it is revealed, Yankumi will definitely be fired.

"Quick, all of you, get out of sight!" Yankumi orders, ushering them into another room and carefully closing the door after. "Tetsu, Minoru, alert the others!" Everyone obeys Yankumi and go to their positions. However Hikari remains where she was. "Hikari, didn't you hear me? I said get out of sight!"

"This is my family now too," Hikari shoots back. "No matter what, I am the next heir to this dojo and I will be beside you when this goes down."

"Ri-chan, get in here!" Ryu orders, giving her a cold stare.

"No, besides your old man's already figured out who Yankumi is, it's only a matter of time before he figures out my relation to her," she points out, causing Ryu to look down. "I might as well stay out here." Seeing her boyfriend open his mouth, she puts up her hand to silence him. "No, Hayato. As the Oedo's next head I will be here and help Yankumi handle Odagiri-san." She harshly shoves the two boys back into the room and slams the door closed. Everyone else stares at the high school girl wide eyed, seeing a potential yakuza in her. "Go bring Odagiri and his wife in."


"I never knew my son's homeroom teacher had such a background," Odagiri states, disappointment in his tone. His gaze turns to Hikari, who is sitting erect next to Yankumi. "And you, had I known you were involved in such an organization, I never would have approved your friendship with my son." Hikari glares at the man as he turns back to Yankumi. "I had you investigated. You're next in line, right? I want to know why such a person wants to become a teacher. Please return my son."

"RYU," Hikari starts, emphasizing his name loudly, "can return when he wants, seeing as his dad can't act like a dad."

"Hikari!" Yankumi chastises, glaring at her. "Odagiri-san, I apologize for my neice's rude behavior."

"That's quite alright, Yamaguchi-san," Odagiri says. "But perhaps you should remove this child from a talk between adults."

"No!" Hikari protests. "I'm the next heir to the Oedo gym after Yankumi, and I refuse to send Ryu back to a father who doesn't even call his son by his name. Ever since you've entered, you've called him your son, yet you treat him like an object."

"That's enough Hikari!" Yankumi growls loudly, silencing her.

"That's fine," Odagiri says nonchalantly. "If you do not return him, I'll call the police and sue Yamaguchi-san as a kidnapper. After that, not only will you not be able to teach anymore, but everyone here will also be arrested under the same charges.That includes your grandfather."

"This guy!" growl both Tetsu and Hikari, about to lunge at him.

"Hikari! Tetsu!" Yankumi stops. "My grandfather and these people have nothing to do with it."

"I have no intention of forgiving what your students have done either," Odagiri adds. "I hope you're ready to take responsibility for their actions." The Oedo group continues glaring at him while Yankumi looks down, conflicted about what to do.

"I am," she finally answers. Immediately the door flies open and Ryu and the others burst out into the room.

"As I expected, you were here," his father says with satisfaction.

"Please forgive them," Ryu pleads. "They did it for my sake."

"Don't be foolish," scoffs Odagiri. "What they did was a crime."

"And you locking your son in wasn't?" Hikari retorts quietly, but is elbowed by Yankumi.

"Don't let them be expelled," begs Ryu, bowing his head down. "I won't go to school anymore. I won't attend the graduation ceremony either." Flashbacks of the last three months run through her head. "I will listen to everything you say. So, please." Again, he bows down to his dad, causing everyone's eyes to widen in shock. School without Ryu? Sure he's always quiet, but his presence is loud. Things won't be the same if Ryu isn't there. Hell, it wouldn't be the same if any of them isn't there.

"I will think properly about your future," his father replies. "If you listen to me, you won't fail. And, stop hanging around these guys too. Come, let's go home."  Odagiri stands up to leave so Hikari turns toward the guys and Yankumi for help.

"Please wait!" the yakuza teacher calls. "Earlier, you asked why the inheritor of this place wanted to become a teacher, right? It's because my grandfather, unlike you, doesn't force his ways upon his descendants." She pauses, trying to figure out her words. "Can you please listen to your son's feelings properly?"

"You don't need to tell me that, I'm always listening!" Odagiri roars in return.

"Not that!" rejects the teacher. "I want you to listen to what he is feeling and wants to do right now! Stop assuming things and accept his words as they are!" Hikari smirks a bit at Odagiri's face, but then bites her lip to hide it. "Odagiri! What do you want to do?" Ryu locks eyes with Hikari for a second and turns back to his father when he receives a nod from her.

"I want to go to school," Ryu states bravely, getting on his knees. "I want to graduate with everyone." Hikari sighs with relief, smiling as Ryu pours his heart out to his father. As he proclaims his love for his friends, teacher, and school, Hikari can't help but let out a couple of tears.

"I see my family has caused some trouble," the Oedo head states in a light manner, entering the room. He praises the high schoolers, telling Odagiri he should be proud that his son has such friends who would come to his rescue. When he is done, Hayato immediately moves to Ryu's side.

"Please, let Ryu graduate with us," Hayato begs, kneeling. "Please." Hikari and the others watch as Hayato lowers his head to the ground. Moved by her friends, Hikari follows Hayato's example and bows down on Ryu's other side.

"Please let Ryu graduate with us!" Hikari asks loudly.

"Please!" the other three repeat, also bowing down. This causes the Oedo head to chuckle proudly. Hikari shuts her eyes tightly, silently pleading for Odagiri to allow Ryu to continue school as Yankumi speaks with him.

"Please, please, please, please," she chants quietly, praying with all her might. Ryu can't leave! She's finally met up with him again after all these years, it just can't happen.

"Taking care of a child is a difficult job, isn't it?" Odagiri asks, sighing. Everyone looks up with hope as he turns toward Oedo's head and Yankumi again. "Can I please ask you... to take care of my son until graduation?" Hikari gasps while the others  grin. They watch happily as Ryu leaves with his parents.

"See you guys," Ryu starts, unable to contain his grin, "later."

"Yeah, later," Hikari agrees, hugging him.


The Oedo head and Yankumi pull Hikari to a separate room after Ryu leaves, leaving the other four boys in the other room.

"Hikari, do you know what you have done wrong today?" her great grandpa asks, giving her a kind smile. Hikari shakes her head. Did she do something wrong? She remembers Yankumi telling her to stop earlier, but she was standing up for a friend. There's nothing wrong with that!

"Did it have something to do with me standing up for Ryu?" Hikari asks slowly.

"You were right to stand up for a friend, but you did it the wrong way," Yankumi tells her sternly. Hikari quirks an eyebrow, not understanding.

"What is the difference between how you talked to Odagiri and how Kumiko talked to him?" hints the Oedo head.

"I don't understand," Hikari admits. Didn't they both stand up for Ryu?

"Kumiko did not speak with just her mind, but also with her heart," her great grandpa answers. "You are not ready to become the next head because you spoke against Odagiri-san with your mouth and heart."

"Because she did not speak her mind right away," Hikari realizes aloud. "Yankumi let Odagiri talk and replied to him while I went off with just my feelings." The two adults nod at her proudly.

"Just realizing that is enough", her great grandfather smiles proudly. "You are not yet ready, but you have potential and the right heart to become the next leader of the Oedo dojo."

"Now go, Yabuki-san is waiting for you," Yankumi teases, nodding not-so-su


Hayato and Hikari decided to walk together to school instead of with the other two.

"It's such a relief that Ryu will still be with us, isn't it?" Hikari sighs happily.

"Yeah, it is," agrees Hayato, looking at her a bit. Hikari gives him a confused look, asking him what's wrong. "It's just.. Do you still have feelings for Ryu? You hugged him pretty tight back there."

"Yes, but more of a brotherly love now," she answers, glancing at hayato before blushing. "The one I like now is a rabbit with fluffy hair and the smallest brain ever." Hayato playfully pushes her, laughing. As they walk, their hands continuously hit each other's.

"If you want to hold my hand, just do it," Hayato suddenly says, grinning like a moron.

"Who says I want to hold your hand?" retorts Hikari, flushing at the smirk he's giving her. He holds out his hand again, but due to embarrassment, Hikari slaps it and walks away. Suddenly Hayato walks up to her and takes her hand in his, intertwining their fingers tightly. A shock runs up her hand at the sudden contact while her stomach rumbles with butterflies. "What are you doing? I said I don't want to hold your hand!" She pulls, but Hayato refuses to let go. Despite how much she enjoys this contact, she still isn't used to the feelings and butterflies Hayato gives her, and she probably never will. to save her pride, she continues fighting his hand.
"If we're walking side by side still, our hands are going to keep hitting," he tells her, looking straight ahead. "And your man hands are beginning to hurt me, so this way our hands will stop colliding, right?"  In a weird way, this was Hayato telling her 'I want to keep holding your hand.'

In response, Hikari tells him, 'I want to keep holding  your hand too' by squeezing his hand as hard as she can until he screams.

"Ow! You stupid tomboy!" growls Hayato, which means 'I like you'.

"Ugly rabbit!" Hikari returns, meaning 'I like you too.' 

"You know, you were really hot when you yelled at Ryu's dad," Hayato says, ruffling her hair. Hikari knocks his hand away and fixes her hair.

"You have the strangest turn ons," retorts his girlfriend, rolling her eyes. The couple glares at each other for a bit before giving into their silly grins. Without another word, Hayato pulls her close and places his lips on hers. Her hands fly around his neck immediately as she gives into his kiss, nearly melting in his arms. Hayato smirks into the kiss, feeling her knees buckling. The two finally break apart when Hayato begins to talk.

"You know something else I love about you?" he asks. Hikari blushes, but continues looking at him in the eyes as she shakes her head. "That even though you're stronger than me, I can still make you weak." Before she can argue, Hayato pecks her forehead, rendering her silent. "See?"

"Oh shut up," she pouts angrily, kicking him in the shin before walking away.

"Wait! Ri-chan!" Hayato calls, running to catch up to her.

That day during math, they celebrated Ryu's return to school instead of having an actual class. It went well until the students threw Ryu so high up that his head hit the ceiling and left a hole in it.