The New Kid

The Girl that Stole Yabuki's Heart

"Good morning new home!!!" A girl yelled as she stretched her arms, waking from her slumber. She rubbed her eyes and ran to get ready.

"Hikari!" A motherly voice yelled. "Get ready! You need to start your school today!" Hikari yelled back an "Ok!" and changed into her new school's uniform. Of course it was a guy's uniform since her new school was an all boys' school. How'd she get in? Simple. Back at her old school, she had punched a teacher super hard, getting her expelled. Hikari isn't really a trouble maker though, it's just that trouble always seem to find her. Although the school didn't listen to her side of the story, her parents did so she didn't get in any trouble at all with them. The board memebers decided to have her go to Kurogin where this Yamaguchi-sensei taught, hearing her of changes with Kurogin's own trouble makers. So now her whole family moved over to Tokyo. Well most of them, her dad hasn't spoke to the family since he left her family for some e. But that's fine with her. Her mom, little sister, and her were doing much better without him.

She checked herself out in the mirror and winked at her reflection. "Even in this uniform I look good." Hikari didn't have a problem with the uniform, she was actually glad they didn't make her wear a girls' uniform. One, she was a tomboy anyways. Two, being the only girl in an all boys' school would bring her enough attention, a uniform would just bring her more trouble. "I'm ready mom!" Hikari yelled and jogged downstairs. Her mom smiled at her warmly and handed her some pancakes. She was a bit health conscious so she ate them without any whipped cream or syrup.

Her little sister looked up at her as the little girl watched her big sister consume three pancakes at once. "Onee-chan," She spoke. Hikari paused a bit to look at her before finishing her pancakes. "Can you wake me to school today? I'm a bit nervous." Hikari 'aww'ed at her sister's cuteness and ruffled her hair.

"Of course Sayo-chan!" Hikari and Sayo put on their shoes, yelled good bye to their mom, and went out the door. Well Sayo said bye, Hikari did her signature two finger salute with a wink. Hikari smiled at her little sister who was skipping to school happily.

"Onee chan," Sayo said smiling. "Do you think we'll make a lot of new friends here?" Hikari frowned inward knowing that Sayo was masking how much she missed her old friends and felt guilty of being the reason they had to move, again. "Of course kiddo, you're a sweet kid. It'll be surprising if you didn't make a lot," Hikari replied. They came up to an elementary school and Hikari gave her sister a two finger salute as a good bye. Sayo happily waved and ran into her classroom, getting ready to make friends. Hikari chuckled at her anxiousness and walked to her own school.

"Class, we have a new student here today!" the teacher who introuced herself as Yamaguchi announced. The class started in cheers and began making plans with each other. "Let's scare him!" A boy with a fan yelled. Hikari stood outside the door smirking to herself. She decided to play with them a bit. Reaching into her case, she pulled out a cap. She twisted her long hair up and carefully tucked it into her cap, making sure only the bottom are sticking out, giving her that long boy hair style, but still short enough to be considered a male. Hikari checked her reflection in the glass and smirked in triumph at how she looked. Unaware, a male student from inside had seen what happened even with the rucus happening in the class.

"Toda-san!" The teacher called. "Come in here and introduce yourself to the class!" Yamaguchi-sensei smiled to herself thinking the class would be surprised when they see the new student. However as Hikari stepped into the room with an air of confidence around her, Yamaguchi's eyes widened. 'Why did she change her hair?' the teacher asked herself. "Uhh... Would.. you like to i-introd-duce yourself Toda-san?" She asked again, confused this time. The boy that saw her change earlier smirked to himself, knowing everyone was fooled into believing she was a boy. 'That girl seems familiar.' He thought. 'The class is stupid, so let's see how long she can fool them.' Hikari looked around and saw a boy with light hair staring at her as if he knew her prank. 'He looks really familiar...'

"As you know my name is Toda," the new student said. "And my first name, there's no need to tell you guys. So where's my seat?" Yamaguchi, still shocked, pointed to a seat in the back. As she walked with attitude to the back with one hand in her pocket, she felt the eyes of class 3D on her. The same guy with a fan blocked her way and tried to give her a threatening look, one that Hikari returned. She began to smirk as she saw the boy sweating a lot and fear appeared in his eyes. After a while the boy lost his balance and fell backwards, earning laughs from around the class and a smirk from Hikari and the light haired boy.

"You lost to the new kid Tsucchi!" a boy with slightly long hair yelled. The boy Tsucchi stood up and attempted to defend himself. "That's because he's got a glare that rivals yours Hayato!" Yamaguchi went back to teaching the class as Hikari sat down and  most turned their eyes away from the new kid. Soon a boy poked her from behind.

Hikari turned and saw a nice looking guy smiling at her. "Hi Toda-kun," the boy said. "I'm Takeda Keita. Let's hang out after school to get to know each other ok?" She smiled at him and nodded. Hayato, Takeda's friend Hikari assumed, told him to ignore the new kid. "Don't mind Hayato, well let's talk later." Takeda turned back to the board and began trying to spit ball the teacher, along with other students. Even Hayato was doing it. Since he saw directly on her left, Hikari chuckled to herself as his spitball hit Yamaguchi right in the back of her head. Hayato seemed to be the only one of the four boys that seemed as though he could aim. Then looking around Hikari realized that only she and the light haired student were the only ones even taking notes. Everyone else were chatting, playing, etc.

"Yabuki-kun!" Yamaguchi's screech stopped everyone from what they were doing. "One more spit ball and that's detention for you!" As she turned around, Yabuki shot another spit ball, but this time at the light haired student. "Dude, he didn't even do anything to you," Hikari scolded. She watched as the boy took the spitball out of his hair, turned to look at Yabuki, and looked back at his notebook.

"Tch," Yabuki scoffed. "Odagiri's a traitor anyways. He deserves it!" He made sure Odagiri could hear it, but Yamaguchi to not hear. During the class break, Hikari watched as the Odagiri guy walked out of the class. 'Poor guy, does everyone thinks he's a traitor? Wonder what he did...' She was planning to ask someone about it later. "Hey Toda-kun!" Takeda yelled. "Let's play darts!" He pointed to the dart board that they were at while the others made bets. Hikari nodded and walked over. Takeda introduced her to them as they started.

"Oy Toda, we're making a bet," Tsucchi said, still avoiding her eyes. "The winner decides a punishment for all the losers." Hikari smirked, knowing her skills for darts. "I'm up for it!" She gave them her two finger salute and sat down like a guy, waiting for Kosuke to finish his turn. "Don't get too excited, I'm the champion at darts," Yabuki bragged. Hikari smirked at him. 'Wait until you see me in action.' Kosuke slumped over to them as he finished with a score of 10. Everyone got three shots, and so far Hikari could see why Yabuki always won. The guys ! Kosuke and Tsucchi both got a 10, and Takeda got 11... One of them even missed the board once! Now Yabuki was up. He began tossing his darts at the board.

10. Straight in the middle.

5. Close to the center, but off a bit.

5. Not even close to the middle.

Hikari stood there looking at him. "If this is the so called champion, then I wonder what I am," Hikari said and stepped up. They could see the new student's remark made Yabuki mad already. The guy did have a short temper, but he held it in thinking how humiliated the new student would be once Yabuki won. Hikari began throwing darts and focused on her targets. Two of them hit the center dead on. The last one was extremely close to hitting center also, but it hit the other darts and fell down, leaving her with a 20.

"See?" Hikari said. "Don't underestimate me. I would've gotten a perfect score if it weren't for the other darts in the way." Tsucchi, Takeda, and Kosuke nodded with their mouths open, still in awe. Yabuki on the other hand was more mad than before. "Don't give your lame excuses!" Also had a short temper, Hikari got angry also. "What'd you say?!" The whole class looked at their leader and the new student. Soon they all began to chant "Fight! Fight! Fight!" Takeda was the only one who tried to keep them apart since they were both his friends.

"Stop it you two!" Yamaguchi yelled as she entered the class. Yabuki kicked a desk nearby, nearly breaking it. "Shut up!" He turned around and got close to Hikari. "You, me, today after school near the hill." The commotion broke apart again as the class calmed down and Yamaguchi tried to get the class out to play soccer.

"Remind me again why we're playing soccer during math?" Hikari asked watching their teacher fail at her task. "No idea," the guy next to her answered. "So why'd you disguise as a boy?" Odagiri asked. She looked at him in surprise. "I saw you put the cap on." She nodded in understandment.(Is that a word?) "I didn't mean anything by it! It's just I wanted to see how I'd get treated since that Tsucchi guy was expecting a male student. You won't tell just yet right?" She asked to make sure.

"Actually I wanted to see how long it'll take them to figure it out," Odagiri replied. Hikari took that moment to check out the guy next to her. Unlike the other students, he wore his uniform properly like she did and in her opinion, the guy did look really handsome. And familiar too...

"I'm sorry, but have we met before? You seem really familiar," Hikari asked curiously. Odagiri nodded to her. "I'm Toda Hikari, anything familiar?" He thought about it for a while before giving her his name. She snapped up and had a big smile on her face.

"Ah! I remember now!" She yelled gaining his attention once again. Hikari pulled out a locket she hid under her uniform and opened it. Inside was a picture of two little kids smiling and hugging each other. Odagiri opened his eyes in realization.

"Ryu-kun!" a little girl ran up to him and jumped on his back. "AH!" The boy twirled around before falling over. "Ri-chan, you're too fat!" He shouted as he poked her in the side.

"You're so mean!" She said and pouted as Ryu laughed and pinched her cheeks. "You're so cute Ri-chan." Hikari blushed as they raced each other to their parents.

"Mommy!" Hikari yelled and jumped into her mother's arms. "Why don't you two take a picture?" Ryu's mom suggested and took out her camera. Ryu and Hikari hugged each other as his mom snapped a few pictures of them.

Hikari snapped out of the trance as Ryu pulled her to the side. "Looks like I have to watch out for you again, huh Ri-chan?" She blushed at what he said and nodded. She looked back up at the handsome man her childhood friend had grown into. Although they couldn't be friends for long back then, after two years Ryu had became friends with two other guys and Hikari had to move due to family situations. Back then Hikari had a crush on Ryu, but never told him. It seems like even now Ryu still had that effect on her. She felt her heartbeat slow down again when he let go of her arm.

"Why didn't you stop it Odagiri-kun?" Yamaguchi scolded. Ryu looked at the teacher, at the net, and then back at her. "I'm on your team."

"I scored against my own team!" She whispered loudly in realization, making Ryu and Hikari smirk at each other. Soon Yabuki stood up and started walking inside, making others follow him. Even Ryu and Hikari began walking. They heard Takeda yell a greeting to them, but Hikari was the only one who turned and responded. She gave her signature salute and turned back to Ryu.

"So how come Yabuki said you were a traitor earlier Ryu-kun?" If it was anyone else who asked him, Ry would've said "None of your business" or ignored them coldly. But this was his childhood friend and she had a way to make him respond.

"There's a war between Ara High and our school," Ryu explained. "And a few months ago we were supposed to fight them, risking ourselves for expulsion. But we were so close to graduation and Takeda didn't want to risk it since his mom was so proud of him. He told only me about it and I needed to help him." Hikari watched him as he paused for a bit. "I went and apologized to them to stop the fight. Ara High now thinks they're superior to us since one of the co leaders bowed down to them. But only Takeda and I know why. Everyone else just thinks I chickened out and blames me for it." Ryu looked down sadly and Hikari knew what he lost that day. His pride, his life, his friends.

She didn't even bother to ask why didn't he explain to them since Hikari knew that Ryu cared for his friends a lot. "So don't hang out near me too much unless you want to be shunned too ok?" Even though he was lonely, Ryu cared for his friends. This was one of the things Hikari had admired about Ryu.

"Toda-kun!" Takeda yelled to her. "We're going to the arcade! Wanna come?" Hikari was about to decline until Ryu pushed her towards Takeda and nodded to her. "I'll talk to you later ok Ryu-kun?" He nodded to her and pulled out his phone. She did the same, but was careful to block Takeda's view of her phone since it was a girl's phone. The two friends exchanged numbers, happy to see each other again. Hikari saluted to him and ran over to Takeda.

"So you and Ryu are friends?" Takeda asked. Hikari nodded. "Yuup! Good childhood friends. Well let's go! I can't wait to check out this city!" And with that, Hikari dragged Takeda to the others who were waiting for them. All of them had smiles on their faces except for Yabuki who glared at her. She returned his glare, scaring Tsucchi who hid behind Takeda and Kosuke.

"There are those eyes again..."He whimpered. The other two laughed until they saw Yabuki losing. "Our leader lost?!" Tsucchi yelled in shock.

"Well are we going or what?" Hikari asked boredly. They all nodded and began walking off while Yabuki growled about losing. 'There's something strange about that kid,' Tsucchi thought.