Chapter 18

Be My Girl

Yoona was running as fast as she could across the sand but then she stumbled and fell to the ground.

“So you’re finally waiting, huh?”, the man said as they reached her.

She tried to crawl away from them but her foot had gotten hurt as she had fallen.

“That’s not fun anymore!”, the other guy said and grabbed her wrist. Forcefully he pulled her around so she had to face them.

“Uh, you really are a beauty!”, the other one said.

“Let go of me!”, Yoona screamed and tried to escape.

“Come on, we just want to have some fun~”

“Right, we just – “ Suddenly the man was pulled back. A fist hit him in the face and he fell.

The man who was grabbing Yoona let go of her. “What the-“ Then he was also dragged away from her. The man who had come to help her beat the two men up.

“No, don’t! Please! We’ll go!”, they then begged and quickly ran away.

The man watched them run and then turned around. As he got closer Yoona could finally see his face which was lighted up by the moonlight.

“Taecyeon-shi...”

“Are you allright?”, he asked. He wasn’t even out of breath.

She only nodded still surprised about who her saviour was.

“A woman shouldn’t go out alone at night.” Taecyeon turned around and began to walk away.

“Wait!”, Yoona said and tried to stand up, “Ouch...!”

He stopped. He looked over his shoulder and saw Yoona caressing her ankle.

Then he walked back to her and sat down.

Without a word he pulled her feet to him – carefully. “Seems like a contusion.”

He then stood up and lifted her on his arms. Yoona gave a surprised squeak from her.

“I’ll take you to the hotel.”

“But-“, she began but stopped. What was happening right now? Some guys had tried to .... and then Taecyeon had shown up and now...

It was then that she realized that she had looked at his face all the time. Quickly she turned her head away. Her cheeks were burning. Why am I so nervous and...happy?

While he carried her back to the hotel and up to her suite, none of them said a word.

Finally he let her down on the sofa in the living room.

As Taecyeon was about to go without a word again, Yoona quickly said. “Thank you!”

He stopped for a second and then continued to walk again.

“And sorry...”, she said more quietly. Now he stopped again. He turned around. Seeing Yoona looking down on her hands.

With a soundless sigh he went back to her and sat down beside her.

“No, I’m the one to be sorry.”, he suddenly said.

Surprised she looked up.

“I... overreacted...” Yoona couldn’t believe that Taecyeon was apologizing to her right now.

“I was just so angry and hurt that you’ve stood me up.”

She quickly shook her head. “No, it’s my fault for being like that to you.”

“You know... I’ve really thought you would come.”

Yoona gulped. Should she tell him the truth? That she had been with Donghae? If she would, Taecyeon would definitly be mad at her again and then they wouldn’t be able to get on with each other again.

“I... my friend had a fever and I couldn’t let her alone...”

Every word hurt as she spoke it. Though it wasn’t completely a lie, she had lied to him.

As Taecyeon wasn’t answering, she slowly looked up to him. Her eyes got wider.

Taecyeon was smiling at her. “I knew you had a reason. I’m sorry that I’ve reacted like that. It seems like your friend is better now.”

“Y-Yeah...”, totally flabbergasted she wasn’t able to say more.

He then stretched his arm. “Ah, I’m feeling better now.”

So easy... it had been so easy to clear the misunderstanding with him...

“But I should go back now.”, he then said and pulled her back into reality.

“Oh, yeah... Jessica-shi must be waiting...”, Yoona quietly said and felt sad about the fact the other girl was with him.

“Yeah, that annoying girl.”, he said and sighed, “Don’t get it wrong, we didn’t come here together.”

She blinked at him in surprise. “Not?”

“I had wanted to get a bit out of Seoul and then she had suddenly been standing in front of my suite.”

Somehow a feeling of happiness and relief  overcame her.

“Then I’m still your ‘girlfriend’...?”, she asked without thinking.

Yoona was just as surprised as Taecyeon as she realized what she just had said.

“Of course you are.”, he answered, ruffled her hair and smiled, “I’m going now. Good night.”

She nodded and watched him go.

As the door closed behind him, she grasped her head. “Why did I say that?!”

Confused about her own behaviour, she laid down on the sofa and rolled to and fro.

Her face was red. But why did she feel good about it?