The Following Car

Maybe It's Time...

 

Because I’m still suffering from jetlag, I dismissed my class early. I was also about to head to the infirmary to change the bandage on my hand. But, along the way, I remembered something. I decided to pass by the room where the substitute teacher has his own class. The moment I arrived there, he immediately stumbled outside receiving some thrown crumpled papers. He was covering himself while cowering on the floor in front of me.

I creased my forehead and put my arms on my waist. I waited for him to notice me and look up.

“Oh,” he gasped.

“What –“

“Miss, please help me! These students are monsters!” he said.

I just stared at him while begging on his knees. “You still owe me an apology.”

He looked clueless.

“You bumped into me this morning and you didn’t help me up. I won’t let you go until you-“

“Fine! Fine! Sorry! Just, help me, please!”

I rolled my eyes and stomped my way towards the room. The class was too noisy that they didn’t notice me at first. But when they did, they started to quiet down. I threw glares towards them.

“What are you doing?” I asked them.

They were silent.

“When you weren’t asked to talk, you’re noisy. Now you’re being asked, but you couldn’t respond me?!”

Still, no answer. I pounded my fist on the table and many of them jumped. I can see that they’re already trembling in fear.

“I can tolerate students who are noisy. I can tolerate students who don’t listen to me even when I’m talking in front. Do you want to know what I can’t tolerate?!”

I paused for dramatic effect. Oh, how I love these kinds of expressions on their faces.

“I can’t tolerate students who don’t know how to show respect towards their teachers!” I interjected. “I can send you all to the principal’s office to be reprimanded! Heck, I can even tell the principal to not let you graduate when this school year ends! Your kinds of students are the kinds which disgust me the most!”

Most of them started crying silently. Oh, they deserve this. It’s true; I hate people disrespecting their teachers.

“You have to respect your teacher, okay?” I softened my voice. “Now, you have to apologize to – err – your teacher.”

I stared at the door where the teacher was peeking. I motioned him to enter. And when he did, the students all stood up and apologized.

With satisfaction, I turned to leave. I was already outside when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I was about to turn and twist his arm but I thought otherwise.

“Thank you,” he said.

I didn’t respond and continued walking. “I must return the favor!” he shouted, but I didn’t stop on my tracks.

 

“Hey!” someone greeted. I turned and saw the substitute teacher’s smirking face.

I turned back to continue my lesson plan.

“Thanks for a while ago,” he said.

I didn’t respond.

“I must return the favor. Perhaps, I could-“

“Mister Kwon!” it was the principal. For once, I’m happy he’s here.

The substitute teacher turned and bowed to the principal.

“I heard what happened this morning,” the principal said. “And I heard what you did Miss Park.”

Hearing my name, I stood up and turned to him.

“As a teacher, I think it’s my duty to so.”

“Very good, Miss Park,” the principal complimented. “That’s why you’re one of the best teachers here. So, anyway, I’ve thought of an idea.”

Oh no, I don’t think this is a good one.

“But before that, I want to introduce the both of you. Miss Park, this is Mrs. Lee’s substitute, Mister Kwon Jiyong. Mister Kwon, this is Miss Park Sandara.”

Mister Kwon offered his hand out for a hand shake but I just stared at it. Seeing that I won’t offer mine, he dropped it to his side.

“Get to the point,” I told the principal.

“Okay, so since the both of you are Music teachers, and since Mister Kwon is a newbie here and you, Miss Park, are one of the best Music teachers here, I want Mister Kwon to sit-in on one of your classes today and let him observe.”

My eyes widened, but I didn’t make it obvious that I was shocked. It was one thing that the students watch you while teaching – whether they’re listening or not – and it is another when this jerk here watches me. The moment I met him this morning, I already decided that I hate him.

 

I hate being watched like this. As an agent, I'm used to watching people from afar, spying them, following them wherever they go, and the likes. But, what is this feeling? I just hate how he smirks like that and that annoying amused expression on his face while he watches me. I can’t concentrate for Pete's Sakes! It’s alright, Dara! Just pretend he's not there! I convinced myself.

While teaching, my eyes would naturally wander around. When my eyes rest on his, he would smirk at me, and I would start stuttering. Aish! He’s making fun of me.

So, as much as possible, I started avoiding his gaze.

When my class ended, I headed out of the classroom. But once again, he rested his hand on my shoulder. I was tempted to really twist his arm right now but maybe next time.

“What now?” I asked without turning to him.

“Please let me return the favors. I’m indebted to you with –“

“No one is indebted to anyone,” I said, starting to walk away but he stopped me. “Don’t get too touchy with me or else I would-“

“Just let me take you out on a meal,” he offered.

I finally turned to him. I saw his face lift up.

“No,” I said and turned to walk away.

“Please?” he pleaded while walking beside me. “I won’t stop until you say yes.”

“Then perhaps you’ll die while trying to make me say yes,” I said.

“Oh, please? Please?”

Oh, so he’s serious with this? I was quiet until I reached the faculty room, but he didn’t stop begging. When I finished fixing my things, I went to the rest room. When I expected him to stop when I went there, he disappointed me. While on the door, I can still hear him begging me to say yes. I started getting embarrassed when I felt the other teachers shooting me stares. But I tried to ignore them.

I stepped out of the rest room and stared at him furiously. He stopped talking for a while. When I started walking away, he talked again.
“Please?!” he pleaded.

When I turned, he was on his knees.

“Would you just stand up?!” I interjected.

“I won’t,” he said stubbornly.

“Why are you so stubborn?!”

“Why are you stubborn too?”

“I asked you first!”

He laughed. “Please say yes already?”

I turned to leave again but he caught my wrist.

“Aish! FINE!”

He finally stood up on his feet and jumped around while still holding onto my wrist.

“AISH! Stop jumping around! Or I’ll change my mind!”

He stopped and smirked at me.

“But not a meal, only a drink, okay?”

His face fell but immediately light up. “Okay, then.” He started walking still holding onto my wrist.

I shook his hand off but he didn’t budge. Instead, his hand slid down and held onto my hand tightly. I rolled my eyes and let him be.

When we reached the parking lot, he finally let me go.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“The drinks here are so lame. Let’s have a drink at my favorite café.”

When we finally arrived, my eyes immediately widen. Oh my gosh! Of all the cafes here in Seoul, why does it have to be this?

“Oh, what are you still waiting for?” he asked.

Hesitantly, I followed him inside.

We were drinking in silence. He just kept on staring at me with a smirk and his signature amused expression. Aish! This is my first time having a drink with someone besides Sajang-nim and Jaejoong. What’s gotten into my mind that I accepted his offer? Perhaps, he was too insistent, that’s why I was annoyed.

I wandered my eyes around the café and tried to see if Jaejoong is anywhere in here. I stared at the door to his office longingly. Good thing I don’t really visit this café often so Jaejoong’s workers don’t recognize me. But while my eyes are wandering around, I saw someone. My eyes got wide as he was staring back at me too. I can’t remember Jaejoong mentioning that one of the agents is working here too. I looked away.

Okay, fine. Jaejoong isn’t here but one of our co-agents is. Aish! This news will surely arrive to Jaejoong and he will… he will… what will he do?

My phone rang. I quickly answered it when I read Sajang-nim’s name on the screen. I expected something serious came up.

“Yes?” I asked and listened. My face fell upon hearing what he’s saying. When he finished, I hanged up and stood up to leave.

“Where are you going?” Mister Kwon asked.

Oh, I forgot I had a companion. “I have to go.”

“At least finish your drink,” he said but I was already walking away.

 

I hailed a cab towards the NIS Headquarters and immediately headed to Sajang-nim’s office.

“You wanted to see me?” I asked.

“Please take a seat,” he said.

“I don’t have time. I still have to-“

“How’s your hand?” he asked.

I hid my bandaged hand behind me.

“Were you serious with what you were saying last night?”

What? Of course, I’m serious. You think I went too far as to breaking the glass with my bare hand and not mean everything I said? But I didn’t say that.

“Did you really want to quit work?” he asked.

Oh, so he’s more concerned about me quitting work than all those questions I threw at him about him taking me in. This guy! Why did I even look up to him several years ago? I was fooled with just one simple act.

“Yes, I am,” I answered finally.

“Don’t,” he said, I can hear a little bit of pleading in his voice.

“As I told you last night, I won’t quit until I let go of the past. If I will finally move on, I will. But not now, nor later. I still have too much to show. I still have to save the injustices given to many people. So if you’re worried that-“

“You’re the most outstanding agent here in the agency. You wouldn’t want to waste your efforts into getting and reaching that position, would you?”

“It’s true that it took me all the efforts to make me get to reach this particular spot. But I already gave my word last night. I would quit if I’m ready. I thought that’s what you wanted. That was what I thought you wanted. But now you’re confusing me. If you’re worried that I would leave this agency, I don’t know if I would even stay longer.”

I saw his fist clench.

“If you don’t have anything more else to say, I would take my leave now.”

While walking along the long hallway of the agency, I met Jaejoong.

“Dara!” he greeted.

I gave him a small smile. “Hi.”

“Why are you here?” he asked.

“Dad wanted to see me,” I said.

“Oh,” he nodded. “Anyway, let’s go party tonight.”

My eyebrow rose. “We just partied last night in India. Isn’t that enough?”

“Well, to tell you the truth, our team wanted to ask you to go out with them tonight.”

“With them?” I asked, suspicious.

“I mean, with us. So, anyway, they said as the team leader, they believed that you should treat them out - I mean - us out.”

“What?!” I asked in disbelief.

“Oh come on, Dara. They just wanted to spend time with you. You know how they wanted to befriend you since several years ago.”

“And you know why I don’t want to.”

“Just give them a chance this once,” he convinced me. “I won’t leave you there. I’ll be there, okay?” he rested his hands on both of my shoulder and stared at me right into my eyes. “I want you to find new friends. These guys aren’t that bad. They’re our co-agents. We’re in the same team. You should consider starting to trust them.”

I thought for a while. Here he goes again. He’s being insistent again. “Fine!” I said. “But I’m not doing it to befriend them; I’m doing this because I’m the team leader.”

“Fine with me,” he said, smiling. “It’s a good start. So, let’s meet at the club tonight, okay?”

When I finally left the building, my eyes squinted into tiny slits when I saw a familiar car. I marched towards the car and saw Mister Kwon sitting on the driver’s seat while talking seriously on his phone. I pounded my fist on his window. When he saw me, he panicked and dropped his phone carelessly to the car’s floor. He rolled down the window and smirked. When his window was completely down, I can still hear a person’s voice cackling from his phone.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Hung up your phone first,” I ordered.

He picked up his phone and hung up on the caller who sounded angry, by the way. He then looked up and blinked at me.

“STOP FOLLOWING ME!” I burst out.

He looked like he was about to jump with my loud outburst but since he was still locked on his chair with his seatbelt on, he couldn’t.

When I stopped and panted, I looked at him furiously.

“I…I…” he started stammering. He fixed himself and smiled that toothy smile of his. “Oh, so you also work here? It’s such a big coincidence, I used to-“

“STOP DENYING! I KNEW THAT YOU WERE FOLLOWING ME THE MOMENT I STEPPED OUT OF THAT CAFÉ!”

This made his smile falter.

“Go back to school now!” I ordered. I walked away to hail a cab for me but he followed me with his car.

“Don’t you think it will be more convenient if we go back together?” he asked.

“I’m going somewhere else,” I said.

“Then, I’ll drive you there,” he offered.

I stopped walking and faced him. He also stopped his car. “I refuse,” I said.

 

When I finally arrived, I sighed a relief. Thankfully, Mister Kwon stopped following me. I started walking towards my destination. As usual, the grass was neatly cut. The wind felt fresh as it brushes my face and blows my hair. The rustling of the trees sounded like music to my ears. But, today, I’m not here to admire the beauty of nature. Heck, I have been coming here for almost twenty years but I never once stop in my tracks to admire the beauty of nature. I have only one purpose of coming here. That is to visit my family. 

------------

 

TEASER:

Why are the stars flying everywhere? I used to admire this night sky full of stars. But, right now? I hate them. Why are they being thrown everywhere. Oh no, I must dodge, one of them looks like it's going to fall towards me.

 

--------------

poster credits to LokiCraze123