The Recorded Conversation

Maybe It's Time...

 

I have been talking with my family for two hours already. And I decided to stay longer. But my phone kept on ringing persistently. I was about to curse the moment I will answer the phone but when I read the name on the screen, I thought that maybe it was about the mission.

“Dara, I’m sorry to interrupt but Sajang-nim called for an emergency meeting,” Jaejoong said right away.

Of all the days that Sajang-nim has to call for a meeting, it has to be today?

Nevertheless, I stood up immediately after saying goodbye to my family. Along the way, I was wiping my tears away which were still running down my cheeks. Because I was busy doing that, I haven’t noticed that there was a person in front of me and I bumped into him. When I looked up with my tear-stricken face, two surprised eyes met me.

“Miss Park…” he greeted in a whisper.

Oh good. Of all the places where I have to run into him, it has to be here? And it has to be the time when I was still wiping my tears? Now, he’s going to interrogate me in school. I’m sure of it. Thankfully, because of this week’s mission, I’ll be able to avoid him. That means, I’m going to think of another alibi to tell the principal. Hmm?

“Mister Kwon…” I greeted back and walked past him.

“Miss Park, can you –“

Because I was in a hurry, I ran back to my car without even listening to what he has to ask.

 

We received our mission. According to Sajang-nim, it was supposed to start tomorrow but the senator involved in this mission especially wanted to meet his ‘new bodyguards’.

Right now, I was standing in line with the other qualifying bodyguards. And I must say I look the smallest here. I just hate being short. This must be a deduction to me. They might not trust me because I look so small and fragile, even though I’m not. And besides, I’m the only girl.

Like my other missions, I’m in a disguise. I wore a wig of short hair on my head. Also, I wore shades just like every bodyguard we see in movies.

The senator is in front of me right now, peering into me. Good thing he can’t see the disgust I have in my eyes. Just by looking at him, one can already say that he’s a ert.

Luckily enough, I was chosen as one of the bodyguards to go with him on a campaign. We were walking around town while giving out some gifts to the people, which I secretly call bribes by the way. These townspeople are so clueless. They don’t know that this ert senator was just giving them these to bribe them, to ask them to vote for him. They don’t even know how ert he is, and what he does with the money he steals from the local government. That’s exactly our mission. We have to let the truth out to the public.

And, take note. This senator knows very well that the NIS was investigating him. One would think that he would take extra measures now that he’s under investigation. Oh well, he’s not careful enough. Now, one of the top agents was investigating him, while just beside him.

Right now, while the senator was faking a smile to the people around, I was waiting for the signal to come.

When a familiar figure appeared among of the crowd, I knew that the time has come. I smirked at this. I was craving for action for so long, even though I just had some last week.

The guy in leather jacket and a mask on his face walked towards us as he was getting his knife to stab the senator. Well, of course we’re not going to let that happen. Of course this is just phase one of our mission. I have to get the senator’s trust in the shortest time. And knowing that people in this world gives out their trust to other people so easily, I know that this senator is going to trust me right away.

The guy in leather jacket was now fast approaching. The townspeople were all shouting and panicking and running around to cover themselves. I heard the senator backing out behind me. And now I know that I have to do this. I shouted orders to the other bodyguards like how I used to do with the other agents. Nevertheless, they heeded. Fools!

When I saw that Seunghyun, who was the guy in leather jacket anyway, was already almost reaching the senator, I immediately kicked the hand which was holding the knife. I heard the senator gasped. Good, he’s paying attention.

And now, Seunghyun turned his attention to me. Well, as planned, he pulled another knife and aimed it at me. He ran towards me but I was able to grab his arm and twist it behind him. He was struggling as he felt that his arms are going to break off. But, because this was just an act, I tried to go easy on him and just made it look to the witnesses that I’m really breaking his arm off.

After he struggled, he elbowed my gut with his free arm and was able to get free when I bent forward. I saw him trying to stab me but I immediately dodge it. Finally realizing that he missed me, he turned around only to be kicked on the stomach. I then punched his face and saw a trail of blood oozing out of his nose. Uh-oh! Was that too hard?

I decided to make it look as if I’m going to finish it so I kicked him once more and he fell back to the ground. I grabbed him by the collar and made him get up. It looked like I’m throwing him some curses but truthfully I was apologizing. Oh, that’s a new me. When did I ever learn to apologize?

After I apologized, I told him to pull out another knife from behind him and try to stab me. It was for the final act. He did what I told him and he stabbed me in my stomach. I feigned a gasp and clutch my stomach to see blood. Then I closed my eyes.

I, then, heard the sirens of the police car, another props. The ‘police’ were actually from our agency so that Seunghyun will be safe and he won’t be sued, because, again, this was actually a mission. Before we initiated this mission, we already talked to the cops, telling them to not mind our business.

I found myself lying down on a hospital. I just talked to the ‘doctor’, who was actually Youngbae. As I said, all of these were all planned. He turned to the senator and told him that I’ll be alright and that no vital parts have been hurt. Well, in truth, I was wearing a pad. So, the knife just went through the pad. But maybe Seunghyun’s stab was too deep that it grazed my skin a little. But I’m alright beside that.

I heard the senator’s footsteps towards me. I gave him a weak smile.

“Are you alright?” he asked me.

I nodded.

“I can’t believe you just did that.”

I sat up. “As your bodyguard, I think it is my duty to do so.”

“Because of your performance today, they decided to make you my permanent bodyguard. I hope that’s okay for you.”

“It’s an honor for me,” I said and bowed.

I smiled inwardly. The first phase of our mission is complete. How can people be easily deceived?

 

Two days from now, it will be the senator’s birthday. The phase two will be accomplished on that date.

For two days, I have been working as the senator’s permanent bodyguard. I must admit, this is harder than I imagined. I have to stay up even though my eyes wanted to drop so badly.

Not too long, the senator’s birthday finally came. Because he ‘trusts’ us so much, he brought us to the place where he wanted to celebrate. He kept on telling us that he frequents this place and saying that it feels like heaven when he comes here.

That night, it was only the four of us – the senator, me, and two other male bodyguards. Obviously, the other bodyguards never knew of how this senator uses his power to spend the people’s money on his personal ‘needs’. I assumed they were newbies just like me, because when we reached the place, their eyes widened. They stared at each other, exchanging something telepathically. They wanted to share it to me too, but because I already knew about this, I just feigned a surprise.

When we stepped off the car, the loud banging of the music from inside the club boomed. From what the information we received a few days ago, it was true that this club looked like a normal club where teens usually go to enjoy. But truthfully, there are more that’s happening inside than we can imagine. Two new men in black appeared and approached us. The senator turned to me and to the other two bodyguards beside me.

“Stay here first. I’m fetching someone,” he said then went inside with the two other guards trailing behind him.

When they got back, there was already a lady in a very short skirt and a y top revealing her navel. My brows rose. She is young for this kind of job. It would be better if she was able to go to school. Kids these days… tch! They waste their lives.

When they got on the car, I and the other bodyguards got on our car as well. While inside, one of the newbie started a conversation with the old bodyguards who were sitting behind.

“Hyung, what was that all about?” he said while he had his eyes on the road.

I knew this is going to be a good opportunity. I could get information from them and use it against the senator. My finger slowly crawled inside my pocket and turned the recorder on.

“He’s like this every time he gets the chance, usually when his wife is abroad for business. He says that he can’t afford that his ual needs will be deprived so he goes to that club,” one of them said.

I smirked.

“Isn’t this a bit of betraying his family and all? And besides, I heard that he’s using the money of the government for this.”

“YA! Just keep your eyes on the road and your mouth shut. Stop gossiping!”

We arrived at an apartment I recognized from what Sajang-nim showed us a few days ago. Apparently, this is his secret haven, where he brings his girls. I looked up to it and smirked once again. This is going to be an action-filled night! How exciting! Phase two is about to start.

----------

poster credits to jiyongsfuturewife