The Techie Nerd

Maybe It's Time...

 

The days passed by in a blur. Class started and to avoid suspicions, I worked regularly.  I also tried to balance my teaching career and my agent career. Not to mention, I also go out with Jiyong.

It was already the third week of investigating Senator Noh Seunghwan’s case. And we weren’t getting enough sleep because of this. But I have a very good feeling that this case will be accomplished very soon.

So far, information about Senator Noh Seunghwan’s scandal while sitting on his position as mayor of Gyeongju came out. Apparently, he was accused of getting richer day by day by selling illegal drugs. He was accused of being a drug lord even before he became the mayor of the said city. And guess who the first one to accuse him was. You got that right! It was Senator Lee Kyung Wan.

Senator Lee Kyung Wan and Senator Noh Seunghwan were friends before they decided to enter politics. They always had friendly competitions. But during Senator Noh Seunghwan’s first reign as mayor, he challenged Senator Lee Kyung Wan to run against him. And he accepted the challenge.

However, before his reign ended, Senator Lee Kyung Wan discovered something and he accused Senator Noh Seunghwan of owning an illegal drug factory. This was when they had a clash and Senator Lee Kyung Wan won the position of mayor, earning the townspeople’s trust.

There was a hearing held and Senator Noh Seunghwan was condemned not guilty because of lack of evidence. He then started to regain the people’s trust and he won the next elections.

We tried questioning Senator Lee Kyung Wan again, but this time, it was Jaejoong who initiated the interrogation, while me and the other agents were listening and watching through the one-way glass.

Unfortunately, we didn’t obtain any more information from him. He was firm on not cooperating with us. This made me conclude that he’s hiding some crucial information. But it doesn’t make sense since this is against Senator Noh Seunghwan, not against him.

 

“What are you talking about?” Senator Noh Seunghwan’s voice boomed across the four walls.

“We just want to search your house. We already have a search warrant so you don’t have to-“

“I thought the investigations in my house were already done?!” he said cutting me off.

“It was, until we obtained some information,” I said calmly. I was trying to hold my patience in.

“You won’t find anything here,” he said.

“Senator Noh Seunghwan, let us not make this a big deal. We are just working here. And this might help you.”

“Help me?” he scoffed. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I believe that this case will be accomplished in no time,” I said.

“Be accomplished? By searching my house for some damned thing?”

I nodded.

“You won’t find any damned thing that you could use against me!” he said standing up.

I smirked. “We didn’t even say that what we are looking for is something that could be used against you, Senator. By your words, I can already assume that you’re hiding something crucial.”

He froze on his spot, making my grin wider. Gotcha!

He turned his back and headed towards his room. “Search anything all you want! I don’t care!”

As soon as the senator left, I barked orders towards the agents, assigning them to their respective places. I assigned myself to search in the senator’s personal study room.

I was too engrossed with searching every corner of the room. I pulled each books from the shelf expecting some kind of a doorway opening or a staircase leading towards the pit of the earth to show themselves.

I was starting to get frustrated. I even picked up all of the decorations and pictures on the desk. I was even peering behind all of the picture frames hanging on the wall. I kept on asking the other agents for some improvements on their search, but they reported nothing, or if they report, they weren’t helpful.

“Aish!” I stomped on the spot I was standing as I pulled my hair in frustration.

While I was being childish, I heard someone clearing his throat behind me. I sharply turned towards the source and saw one of the senator’s guards.

I smirked. So much for thinking that the senator’s being uncaring and indifferent towards this search.

Of course, I acted cool in front of the guard after he witnessed my childish acts. I deliberately walked towards the swivel chair behind the senator’s desk and crossed my legs under. I stole a glance towards the guard, and I saw him flinch with a glint of fear in his eyes.

Omo! Did I just hit the jackpot? Not sure yet.

So much for acting cool, Dara, look for the object that made this stupid guard flinch like that. I quickly picked everything up from the desk. Every now and then, I would glance at the bodyguard who relaxed again. Therefore, I might be doing the wrong thing. My eyes darted towards the turned off computer. I turned it on and ta-da! It was locked with a password.

I stared at the guard who acted indifferent.

Hah! I know exactly how to unlock this computer.

“Agent Seungri,” I whispered through the communication device. “Come to the study room quickly. I have a job for you.”

The moment Agent Seungri arrived, I ordered him to hack into the system and unlock the computer. He’s a techie nerd anyway.

It has been half an hour since Agent Seungri arrived and nothing happened yet. He said that hacking would take a long time but I told him to pursue it anyway. I also didn’t receive any reports from the other agents.

As for the bodyguard, well, he looked more relaxed now. He was too relaxed that I got distracted. Maybe…

I quickly crouched and pulled every drawer of the desk. When I found nothing, I sat on the swivel chair feeling defeated. I stared at the bodyguard who went back to his blanched state. He’s scared again. Does that mean…?

I stayed on the swivel chair and pushed myself back away from the desk. The guard seemed more scared. I smiled. So, it’s on the swivel chair, eh?

“Agent Dara, I’m done. But there’s nothing interesting here. Just a few files and-“

Agent Seungri got cut off when he turned to me. I was still staring back at the guard. I saw Agent Seungri turn to the bodyguard too then he leaned to my ear.

“Did I miss something?” he whispered.

I smiled, eyes still glued with the guard. I lifted my arms and rested them on the armrest. The guard flinched as his gaze followed my arms resting. I smiled again.

My hands crawled towards the end of the armrest, and then I grabbed them. On my right, I felt as if I just pressed a button.  My grin grew wide. Jackpot.

A few seconds later, there was a sound from the desk. All three of us turned to it and some kind of a compartment appeared. It opened and a set of number keys appeared.

Agent Seungri stared at me bewildered with what we just discovered. My head snapped towards the guard to flash him an evil smile but his hand was already grabbing his gun. Quickly, I grabbed mine and both of us were in gunpoint in no time.

“Guilty?” I asked the guard.

From my peripheral vision, I also saw Agent Seungri with his gun pointed at the guard. Heh! The guard’s in the disadvantage side.

“Agent Seungri,” I called him. “Give me your gun and work on that password thingy. I bet there will be more discoveries tonight.”

He gave me the gun and I pointed the two guns towards the guard. Oh, he looked scared.

“Agent Dara, give me your penlight,” Agent Seungri said.

“Get it from my pocket.”

Hesitantly, he did. I don’t know what he’s doing but I don’t want the guard to lose from my sight.

“Agent Dara, there are a thousand possible combinations,” he said.

“Try everything. We won’t leave until we find out where that leads to.”

I saw the guard lift his hand with a phone clutched on it.

“Call for backup or I’ll shoot your skull,” I said through gritted teeth. He immediately dropped his phone to the floor.

He’s a very scared cat, eh?

We were throwing each other glares for a while now. Then, I heard a beeping sound behind me. My eyes immediately darted towards the source and saw the bookshelf moved sideward revealing a dark room behind it.

I chuckled. I didn’t know how Agent Seungri did it, but he… DID it!

Then I heard someone pulling a trigger, I immediately tilted to my right as I saw the bullet passed by just right in front of my eyes. Hah! I wasn’t trained in this agency for nothing, dude!

I immediately straightened up as I kicked the gun from his grasp. Then I pointed the gun to him and reached the other to Agent Seungri, but in a matter of seconds, the guard was right in front of me grabbing both of my arms and putting them above each other. I stole a look towards Agent Seungri who was already on the ground clutching his side. It seemed that he was kicked.

Then the guard slammed me towards the wall with his grasp on my arms tightening. I regained my composure as I kicked his groin. He was able to bend forward clutching on his groin.

Before I could even proclaim my victory, a few of the other guards appeared. I immediately called for backup as Agent Seungri and I fought for our lives.

The backup appeared and they helped us. All of us had our opponent as we tried to win the game.

It seemed that I underestimated these guards. They were pretty good. My opponent was good too. He would throw punches at me which I dodge anyway but he was strong too as once in a while, he would push me to the wall. Up until now though, I was just playing around while fighting with him. I could have finished him up but I chose to prolong the action. As I searched the room, the other agents were doing it like me. They were also craving for action.

My opponent was throwing more punches. And I was growing bored. So, when he threw one, I bent forward dodging it and I elbowed his back. He staggered forward but he remained standing. He turned to me and I grabbed him by his neck and slammed his head to the ground. Then he went unconscious.

“Dara…”Jaejoong’s voice crackled in my ear. “We have a situation here…”

What is it this time?

-----

poster credits to ephrael