The Secret Wish

Maybe It's Time...

 

“So, where are we going next? I’m getting bored,” I complained the moment we stepped out of the restaurant after we ate lunch.

“You’re mean,” he said as he pouted.

Omo, cute baby boy!

I threw my arms on his neck and pulled his face to me to give him a quick peck on the lips. “Don’t be such a cutie!”

He smiled at me and returned the kiss to me.

“I got something to tell you,” I whispered on his ear.

“Me too,” he said.

He has something to tell me too? Omo. I’m getting excited.

“Let’s reveal them to each other before this day ends, how about it?” I suggested.

He nodded and gave me another peck on the lips.

 

Jiyong left me at the bench after he gave me a scrapbook. I opened it and was surprised of what I saw. The first page was composed of our pictures of our trip in Jeju. Most of them were stolen shots of me which I remembered him taking. I laughed heartily as I saw a set of picture. The first one was when I wore a kid’s clothes. The next one was when I looked like a princess. The next was at the club. I remembered that this was the day when he celebrated my birthday for the past twenty years.

The next pages comprised of all the things that happened between us for the past sixty days. There was the day that he gave me the Cartier Love Bracelet. He took a picture of it with the complementary screw driver necklace before he gave it to me. There was also a torn movie tickets on the next pages where we watched an action movie. I laughed at its caption.

 

                This was the time we watched movie. But she slept through it. She owes me one movie. :(

 

I also saw a funny drawing of me and him riding the motorbike. I laughed at the Jiyong he drew with a very scared and terrified expression.

I went on laughing at every picture we had together. Most of them looked so funny because of our dorky expressions.

When I was done, I closed the book and looked around, expecting Jiyong to come out with some kind of a surprise. But strangers started to come closer to me.

I stood up and clenched my jaw expecting that they were one of those bastards who loves harassing fragile-looking girls like me.

But, they stopped midway and formed one line in front of me. They all took out a paper and unfolded them. I read the message formed by them.

 

                I love you Dara.

 

I smiled as I read it over and over.

I started hearing strumming sounds somewhere as I looked around for the source. I turned around and saw Jiyong with a guitar. He started singing with so much passion that I actually felt his feelings through his singing.

Damn it, he looks so cool while performing. His voice, I love his voice. How could he sound so y even while singing? I couldn’t even wait for him to finish to crush my lips on his. I was just so touched right now. There wasn’t other person who was able to make me feel this special.

“I love you, Dara,” he said after he sang.

I ran towards him and threw myself on his arms. I crushed my lips on his as I heard some applause around us.

Ashamed, I stood up from him and looked around as people were clapping applauded at the show we were. They shouted some encouraging words to us.

“You’re so cute when you’re shy,” he said and hugged me to him. “I love you so much!”

 

Jiyong and I just walked around the park hand-in-hand. I didn’t care if he had surprises anymore. I just wanted to be with him. I just wanted to savor this moment with him. And before the clock strikes midnight, I would tell him the news.

We rode bikes together and playfully raced. He was leading as I cursed loudly while he laughed at my determined face.

“You are never going to catch me!” he said with his high-pitched voice.

“Aish!”

Then an idea popped into my mind.

“Ouch!” I exclaimed loudly.

Jiyong came running to me with a worried look. He kneeled beside me and checked up on me for some scratches.

Then I giggled.

“What’s so funny?” he asked.

“This,” I said and pushed his forehead with my finger. I rode my bike again and drove away. “You are never going to catch me!”

 

After bike-riding, we went on eating our favorite street foods. We went on trying all of the foods available. We first ate bubbling ddeokbokki, and then we ate some hoddeok, and then some pojangmacha. We almost ate everything served on the streets if we weren’t already full.

After eating, we were sitting near the park fountain. I looked around and saw many couples dating there too. I even caught some of them kissing passionately. I immediately looked away feeling rather awkward and stupid as I watched them kissing.

“You jealous?” Jiyong asked. “We can kiss like them too, you know.”

I slapped his arm. “No, I’m-“

Jiyong cut me off with his lips, kissing me with such intensity – my bottom lip, and then edging his soft tongue just past my teeth. I opened my mouth wider, desperate to let more of him in, finally unafraid to show how much I yearned for him, to match the force of his kisses with my own.

I pulled away.

“I told you I wasn’t jealous of them,” I said, stifling my laughter.

“I was,” he said as he gave me another peck on the lips.

I laughed.

“Let’s make a wish here on the fountain. Everyone does it anyway,” he suggested.

I picked up a coin from my pocket and wished on it sincerely and with my eyes closed.

“What are you wishing for?” he asked.

“Sssh,” I hushed him. “I’m concentrating. Make a wish of your own!”

He rested his chin on my shoulder and wrapped his arm on my waist.

I shook him off and opened my eyes “Yah! You’re distracting me!”

He pouted.

“Here, make a wish too,” I said as I gave him a coin of his own.

He closed his eyes too and made a wish on it. I just watched him until he decided to let go of the coin and throw it to the fountain. When he opened his eyes, he looked at me.

“Wow, it came true immediately,” he said.

I creased my forehead. “What did you wish for?”

“That you’ll be gawking at my hotness,” he said.

“Conceited! I wasn’t gawking. I was watching you because you looked really funny,” I explained.

“I was kidding of course,” he said.

“Then what did you wish for?” I asked again.

“Make a wish first then I’ll tell you.”

I closed my eyes and made a wish again. I was in the middle of wishing when Jiyong blew air in my ear.

“Ya!” I complained while holding my ear.

“What?” he asked innocently.

“What was that for?”

“Nothing, just want to mess with you,” he said with a boyish grin on.

“Aish!” I said, stomping my foot. “Sit there and behave,” I said.

He followed what I instructed him like a puppy.

I went back to wishing on the coin.

 

I won’t ask for any material thing, I just wish to be happy with Jiyong.  

 

When I finally finished without being interrupted, I kissed the coin and threw it backwards until it made a splashing sound on the water.

I stared at Jiyong with a smile.

“Can I annoy you now?” he asked and stood up. “Can you tell me what your wish was?”

“Yours first,” I said.

“Hmmmm… I wished that you will never ever lose trust on me and that you’ll always forgive every mistake that I’ve done and will do.”

I stared at him. What was he saying? Lose trust? Never will that happen. And forgive every mistake he had done and would do? Now that made me think what he meant.

I laughed awkwardly. “You wished two things,” I said to escape from the awkward silence.

“I did,” he said. “And I gave up two coins too - the first one given by you and another one while you were silently praying on that coin. How about you? What was your wish?”

I smirked. “I’m not telling,” I said, sticking my tongue out.

“Hey, that’s unfair!” he complained.

I ran for my life while he chased after me. We were laughing hard while playing on the park like two lunatics. Whenever he caught me, I would be able to escape from his grasp and run more.

Could this day get any better?

Just when I thought that I would still run and run, Jiyong called for me. I turned my head towards him and saw him panting with bended hips.

“Wait. Someone’s calling,” he said in between gasps of air. He fished out his phone and answered it.

I didn’t dare get close to him in case he would catch me again.

From where I was standing, I couldn’t hear the words he was saying. He was talking rapidly, and every now and then, he would stop and listen. When his face turned grim, I couldn’t take it anymore, I ran towards him to ask what was wrong.

He just shook his head and turned away from me. He walked away making sure I was out of earshot. Thinking that it was some kind of a personal thing, I respected his privacy and stayed rooted on my spot.

“NO! YOU LISTEN TO ME!” he yelled to his phone.

I looked up totally surprise with his outburst. I looked around and saw everyone else looking back at him too.

“I AM GOING TO QUIT RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW AND YOU ARE GOING TO LEAVE ME ALONE!”

I ran towards him and rubbed my hand up and down his back to calm his nerves. I asked him what was wrong but he refused to answer.

 

We were standing behind a pile of line of people planning to enter the horror house. We were bored out of death after the awkward silence we shared when he finally hung up the phone a while ago and we decided to just sit on a bench. When we were about to go home, we passed by the horror house just a few blocks from we were and so, we decided to go have fun too.

I haven’t asked about what the call was about and he didn’t open it up either. I know that he had been troubled about the call since we left the park but like I said, I didn’t pry.

“I love you…” he whispered on my ear when I was lost in thoughts.

I stared and smiled up at him. He squeezed my hand and brought it to his lips. He gave me a reassuring smile.

Perhaps I was worrying for the wrong reasons.

I trapped him into a tight embrace and buried my head on his chest.

He pulled away and stared down at me, as if he wanted me to say something. I smiled up at him and pecked him softly on his lips, letting mine linger on his. I knew no words, no better way to communicate what I was feeling, what I wanted.

Somebody cleared his throat behind us. We looked at the person.

“Uhm… You’re next. Stop kissing there,” he said with an irritated tone.

Jiyong and I looked forward and saw that the line was already cleared and we were next to entering the house.

I was holding on to Jiyong. No, scratch that. Rather, he was holding onto me like his life depended on me. I laughed hysterically as he was trembling in fear when a ghost appeared in front of us.

“Ya! Stop laughing at me!” he complained.

I pinched his cheeks. “I can’t help it! You’re too cute!”

“Let’s just stay here,” he suggested.

“Fine by me,” I agreed and then we sat on the ground.

We were just looking around the horror house while Jiyong was trembling beside me. The horror house was pretty scary-looking and was constructed in a maze form, so it was up to the customers to look for the way out.

As for Jiyong and me, we had been walking around the horror house for almost an hour.

Most of the times, people would walk past by us and like the dorky couple we are, Jiyong and I scare them off and let them think that we were actually part of the staffs of this horror house and were acting as ghosts. At times, we were successful and we would laugh our asses off. Sometimes, people would stare at us with their death glares and mumble some curses after being startled. Nevertheless, we would just laugh at them.

When we got tired, we walked again while still laughing. Jiyong also stopped trembling. In the middle of our laughter though, I stopped though he didn’t notice because he was busy recounting the events that happened today.

I stopped because I had this very weird feeling that I was being watched. I looked around us and saw no one. I looked ahead of us but only saw a white lady preparing to scare the incoming customers that was us.

I looked behind us and saw a shadow who tried to blend in with the dark.

“What’s wrong?” Jiyong asked.

“Nothing,” I answered.

“You look scared now,” he said in a teasing tone.

I slapped his arm and we continued walking.

Maybe it was just another ghost.

------

UNNIE'S NOTE: 

 

poster credits to: jiyongsfuturewife

 

COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, AND SUGGESTIONS BELOW...