Chapter 5

Crossing the Lines

Bosco entered the conference room and found Natalie on a chair slumped over the table with her head resting on it.  He shook her shoulder lightly, “Nat, wake up.”

Natalie lifted her head and yawned stretching her arms up above her head at the same time, “What time is it?” she groaned.

“It’s 9:00 am,” Bosco informed her and leaned down to look at the file opened in front of her.  “Don’t tell me you were here all night?”

Smiling sheepishly up at him, Natalie said, “I guess I must have fallen asleep while studying the case.”

Bosco pulled out a chair and sat down.  “It’s true we want to crack this case but not at the expense of our health.”  He looked meaningfully at her and said, “Charmaine values her teammates and if she found out that you spent the night working she would go ballistic.  Don’t do it again unless it’s really necessary.”

Feeling silly for being reprimanded like a child, Natalie smiled with embarrassment and said, “It won’t happen again.  I promise.”

“Good,” Bosco said, “Because you’re a great asset to our team and I don’t want you to fail us just because you didn’t get enough sleep.”

“Breakfast anyone?” Ron asked from the door and he extended his hands out which held two bags of food.

Natalie got up eagerly and grabbed one bag from his hand, “Thanks.  I didn’t eat anything last night.”

“Where’s Charmaine?” Ron asked as he took a seat at the conference table and took out the individually wrapped sandwiches from his bag.

Picking up a sandwich Bosco said, “She went out to get coffee.  She doesn’t like the water down coffee from our canteen.”

Ron chuckled and said, “I hope she remembers to buy some back for us as well.  You know how moody and forgetful she gets a few days every month.”

“What are you referring to Ron?” Charmaine asked from the doorway and with a cheery smile approached them with a mid size brown paper bag.  “Coffee for everyone.”

Ron was the first to get a cup and announced, “As I was telling Bosco just now, you are the best.”

Charmaine crossed her arms over her chest and with a sweet smile directed her question at Ron, “What few days a month are you talking about?  Care to tell us all?”

“I was only joking around with them,” Ron said with enthusiasm then turned away from her to take a bite of his sandwich.

“Ron, one day I’m going to beat you up so badly that you won’t be able to walk for a week,” Charmaine said with a fond smile.

Ron didn’t say anything at first as he took a sip of his coffee.  Then with a straight face, he turned to Bosco and asked in a serious voice, “Isn’t that consider police brutality?”

That question got them all laughing as they finished their breakfast in happy spirits.

-------------------------

Frankie heard footsteps on the stairs and turned to see Raymond skipping down it.  “You’re up early this morning.”

“I’m meeting Kenneth at the golf course for a few rounds,” Raymond said as he took the cup of coffee which the maid brought out to him.

Hearing Kenneth’s name irritated Frankie.  The guy was no good, a seedy low-life that somehow attached himself to his brother.  “I heard the cops were at one of your clubs last night to investigate.”

“So?” Raymond asked absently his attention on the platter of food before him.

“Did you cooperate with them?” Frankie asked as he folded the newspaper he had been reading and placed it aside.

Raymond let out an annoyed sigh and answered, “Yes, why do you even have to ask that question?”

Frankie folded his hands on the table and looked skeptically at Raymond.  After a moment, he asked softly, “Tell me the truth, are you dealing drugs in your clubs or allowing it to happen?”

Raymond looked at Frankie with resentment, “Of course not!” he snapped vehemently.  “How many times do I need to reassure you?  You keep asking the same questions over and over.  Why can’t you trust me?!”

With his eyes locked on Raymond’s, Frankie said solemnly, “It’s not you I don’t trust.  It’s Kenneth that I’m worried about.”

Raymond pushed his chair back from the table and angrily stood up, “Here we go again about Kenneth.  What do you have against him?  What has he ever done to make you hate him so much?”

Frankie also stood up but calmly as he is used to Raymond and his tantrums.  In a serene tone, he said, “I’m only trying to watch out and protect you and Kenneth Ma is nothing but a slimy bastard.  If you continue to hang out with him I’m afraid it will only get you into trouble.”

“I don’t want to hear this,” Raymond said gruffly then left the house slamming the door loudly behind him.