Chapter

Crossing the Lines

Raymond walked into his back office and if he was surprised to find Kenneth there waiting for him he didn’t show it.  Since their confrontation, both have taken great pains to avoid each other.  Although Raymond was the real owner of the bars, he chose to remain at Smashbox leaving Kenneth to manage Passions on his own.  Deep down he valued his friendship with Kenneth and was disappointed that things turned out the way it did.  Kenneth may appear to be all macho and cool in front of others, but Raymond only knows him as a loyal friend, a friend who fought by his side, who helped him out of messes and most importantly, a friend who would watch his back when it was needed.  Without greeting Kenneth, he walked straight to his desk and sat down on his leather chair.  He pulled out a ledger from a draw and opened it, his eyes immediately going over the figures.

Kenneth hesitantly walked up to the desk, “Ray, can we talk?”

Raymond let out an impatient sigh and slammed the ledger close with a loud whoosh.  “Talk then but make it short.”

Kenneth sensed that Raymond was still upset with him and he so badly wanted things back the way they were.  “I want to apologize again about the drugs.”  When Raymond remained silent he took that as a sign to continue.  “I know it was wrong of me to deal drugs especially when you made it adamantly clear from the very beginning that we won’t touch that stuff.  I want you to know that I’ve stopped.  There’ll be no more drugs from me.  I swear it.”

Raymond stared at him as he weighed in the truth of Kenneth’s words.  He wanted to believe him but he wasn’t sure if he can.

Kenneth saw the doubt on Raymond’s face and surged on, his voice with a plaintive plea, “I’m truly sorry.  Say you’ll forgive me and that we are still friends?”

“I don’t know what to believe of you anymore,” Raymond said in a harsh tone.  “You lied to me over and over.  The things that you’ve done lately makes me wonder who is the real you.  I ask myself can I trust you anymore and honestly, I don’t know.”

“I know I’ve disappointed you.  All I’m asking for is another chance.  You know you’re my best friend.  In fact you’re my only friend,” Kenneth said in a low strained voice.

Seeing the remorse on Kenneth’s face Raymond felt the anger slowly drain from him.  In a quiet voice he asked, “Tell me who you’re covering up for.”

"Ray, I can’t,” Kenneth said shakily.  “There’s too much at stake.”

T he anger returned in Raymond and he stood up abruptly.  In a sharp voice he ordered, “Get out of my office and don’t ever come back here or to Passions.”

“Ray!” Kenneth cried out with frustration.  “Don’t you think I’m just as upset about these murders as you are, only my hands are tied.  I really can’t say anything!”

Raymond slammed his hands down on the desk and bracing himself on them, he seethed, “You know who’s behind it and you choose to hide his identity and protect him.  That makes you just as bad, just as sick and I don’t want to have anything to do with you.”

Kenneth knew Raymond meant what he said and yet he can’t rat out on his own flesh and blood.  With one last attempt he begged, “Ray, can you at least try to understand that I have my reasons.  We’ve been friends for so long, you should know by now what kind of person I am.”

“I don’t want to hear another word from you!  I…” The sudden ringing of his cellphone broke his sentence.  He looked at the caller ID and despite his foul mood a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.  “Hi,” he greeted softly.  “Miss me already?”

Charmaine giggled and responded, “Always but that’s not what I’m calling about.”

Raymond managed to chuckled, forgetting that Kenneth was in the room.  “So what are you calling about then?”

“I know we’re supposed to meet up for dinner soon but do you mind if we go later.  Steven was by my office earlier and he looked really depress.  He wants to talk to me.”

Raymond didn’t like the idea at all and said brusquely, “I’ll join you guys.”

“No that’s okay,” Charmaine said.  “He wants to talk to me alone.  Besides I won’t be gone that long, an hour or so, the most two.  We’re just going to have a drink somewhere.”

“Charmaine,” Raymond said with agitation, “I don’t like my girlfriend going out and having drinks with other men.”

Kenneth who have been quietly listening in on Raymond’s conversations heard her name and a feeling of dread flooded him.

“Ray, I’ll see you right afterwards.  How about this, let’s meet up at Le Bistrol at nine.  I promise I’ll be there on time,” Charmaine soothed tenderly.  “Okay?”

Hearing the affection in her voice, he realized he was being jealous for no reason.  She was only meeting Steven.  He knows Steven too and liked the guy immensely and if there was a guy he could trust Charmaine with that would definitely be Steven.  With a silly chuckle he said, “That’s fine.  Sorry for acting like the jealous boyfriend just now.”

Charmaine laughed softly and teased, “That’s alright.  You being jealous means I mean a lot to you and I like that.”

“I’ll see you later then,” Raymond said softly as he flipped the phone closed.  The sweet smile that had been on his face when he was on the phone with Charmaine vanished when he turned and saw that Kenneth was still there.  “What are you still doing here?  I thought I told you to get out,” he hissed.

Ignoring Raymond’s outburst, Kenneth asked, “I overhead you calling your girlfriend Charmaine – is it Madame Sheh?  Are you and Madame Sheh together?”

Raymond stared coldly at him and snapped, “That’s none of your business!  Now get out!”

Kenneth looked worriedly at Raymond and he opened his mouth to warn him about Steven’s intentions towards Madame Sheh but he couldn’t form the words.  He can’t betray Steven!  He just can’t!  Without another word, he lowered his head and left.