Chapter 8

Losing To You

Losing To You Chapter 8

 

Min Seol

Dating Baek Eun Jo in secret, I think now, after about four and a half months, I was used to it.

Keeping up the façade around our families and friends hadn’t been as difficult as I had thought it to be.

The reason was simple really. Not much had changed, since we had started dating.

We still fought, a lot, though Eun Jo wasn’t as rude as he had used to be.

Yes, things hadn’t changed much, but they weren’t the same either.

For example, there had been a rather lot of kissing in the past few months, in private of course.

I had never pegged Eun Jo to be the type to prefer so much skin-ship. Then again, he was an eighteen year old, hormone-driven guy, so skin-ship was natural, right?

And it was not, as if I didn’t like it. On the contrary actually, I liked it, like really liked it and sometimes to such an extent that I forgot, we had to keep up appearances in public.

College had started as well and since our department buildings were close, I saw Eun Jo rather often on campus.

He wasn’t ignoring me in front of his other friends anymore, so to them and my friends it seemed as if Eun Jo and I were regular friends.

Oh and one more thing happened. One and a half months ago Ha Ni unnie and Seung Jo oppa told us that unnie was pregnant again.

None of us had been expecting that, especially with Seung Jo oppa’s foul mood a month before that, which had gotten miraculously better after the announcement of the good news.

A few weeks later the two of them had made another announcement. They had bought the house across the street, opposite the Baek residence and would be moving out.

Geum Hee ahjumma had made a huge uproar, which had only calmed down after she realized that they weren’t going anywhere far.

So, right now Eun Jo and I were in our siblings’ room packing up some of the stuff they had marked for us, since both of them were currently working their shifts at the hospital.

“Do you think it’s going to be weird?” I questioned aloud.

“What’s going to be weird?” Eun Jo replied from somewhere behind me.

“Unnie, oppa and Jae Mi not living in this house any longer?” I clarified.

The rustling noises behind me stopped and I turned around to find him deep in thought, you know, like form very still and the face scrunched up in a mask of concentration.

He looked really handsome.

Some silent moments passed, before he answered: “I’m not sure… it’s not like they are actually moving out.”

My eyes narrowed: “What do you mean?”

He plopped down onto the bed: “What I mean is, they’re only moving across the street, not across the continent or anything like that. Jae Mi is still going to be here, when hyung and hyung-soo are at work. They’ll still have most of their meals here. Only their sleeping arrangement is going to be different, which is good. I mean they really need their privacy.”

I considered all of his points and decided he was right, as always: “I guess you’re right.”

He smirked: “Of course I am. You really should stop doubting my words all the time.”

“When did I ever say that doubt your words?” I asked. I had no idea what he was talking about.

“You know,” he began: “When you practically forced me to admit my feelings for you, for example.”

“Oh.” I rolled my eyes: “You mean that. Well, you deserved that?”

“You think.” his eyebrows shot up questioningly.

I nodded.

“Hm…” he pretended to be thinking: “If that’s what you think, then maybe I should take Il Sung up on his offer. You know, recently he started trying to set me up with different girls.”

The smile on my face vanished: “Yeah, you should do that.”

My next words weren’t fair, I knew but I was just so angry: “And maybe I should take Yun Ho up on his.”

Eun Jo’s face morphed instantly into a frown: “That’s not funny Min Seol.”

“Right back at you Eun Jo.” I retorted.

“What I said was supposed to be a joke.” he sounded angry too.

It seemed as I wasn’t able to stop myself: “So was what I said.”

“Well, it wasn’t funny.” he repeated.

“You said that already.” And that was, when I walked out on him.

 

Eun Jo

“Yah, do you remember Sae Ra?” Il Sung was really getting on my nerves lately.

“What do you want?” the annoyance in my voice was strongly evident.

“You had a crush on her when we were in elementary school. Don’t you remember?” he pushed.

Finally I turned my head to look at him: “Do you think I’m stupid? Of I remember her. I had a crush on her and she wanted to marry my hyung.”

“Ah.” He waved my comment off: “Childish infatuations. Right now though, she’s interested in you.”

I averted my gaze again, across the canteen, to where Min Seol was seated, with her two friends: “That’s too bad. I’m not interested in her anymore.”

“Why are you behaving like a girl with PMS?” that was Il Sung for you, always saying the most idiotic things.

My eyes still rested on Min Seol and I didn’t feel like gracing my friend with an answer.

He kept quiet after that and I thought, maybe I would get a little peace of mind now.

“You keep staring at her, you know?” he startled me, though I didn’t let it on.

“Sae Ra?” I genuinely thought he was talking about her: “How do you expect me to stare at her? She doesn’t even go to this school.”

“I’m not talking about Sae Ra. I’m talking about Min Seol. You keep staring at her, like you’re doing right now.” he clarified.

That certainly got my attention: “That’s because she’s way more interesting than the girls you’ve been trying to set me up with.”

His eyes squinted: “Yeah, that’s what I thought… So, what’s going on?”

I groaned, folding my arms on the table in front of me and laying my head on top of them. My voice came out rather muffled: “We’re together, have been for a few months now.”

That confession had not been planned, not at all and it went against the one rule that Min Seol and I had agreed on.

But, screw that!

Il Sung was probably the only one of my friends that would understand, the only one who did understand.

“Congratulations.” see, he understood.

I lifted my head to find him smiling at me: “Thanks.”

His smile stretched into a grin: “Are you going to be all y again, if I say that I so knew this would happen one day?”

I let my head drop back down on my forearms.

He understood, yes, he was still an though…

Later that day, when I was unpacking boxes full of baby clothing and toys in Jae Mi’s new room, Min Seol walked in with another huge box in her hands.

She stumbled, her feet caught up in piece of useless tape. I caught the free side of the box, before she fell, steadying her in the process.

And then we stood there, facing each other, both holding onto a huge cardboard box, which was separating us.

My maybe-still-girlfriend heaved a sigh: “I don’t want to fight with you anymore Eun Jo. It doesn’t feel good. I don’t like it. I never did.”

That surprised me.

We hadn’t been talking since our fight, four days ago.

She had successfully avoided me at home and at school.

I took control of the box in our hands and placed it on the floor: “I don’t like it either… I told Il Sung to stop trying to set me up with other girls, because I’m dating you.”

I stood back up: “I told him about us Min Seol.”

Her pretty eyes went wide: “You- But- I thought you- Didn’t you- ?”

She didn’t manage to finish any of those sentences and I took hold of her hands, which she had been wildly gesticulating with.

“Fool.” I couldn’t believe the softness with which I was speaking: “It’s not like I’m ashamed of you. The only reason I don’t want our families to know is because omma is touch eccentric when it comes to such topics.” I paused, taking a breath: “Hyung and hyung-soo are suspecting something already, which is bad enough as it is. But omma is on a whole different level. Il Sung is not like that. He understands. He told me not to be y anymore and stop fighting with you.”

She smiled a little at that and I continued: “And he’s right. I’m a possessive person by nature, so are you by the way, and I shouldn’t be cracking those kinds of jokes if I can’t handle them myself.”

She freed her hands from mine and the next thing I knew she threw her arms around me.

My arms naturally moved up to hug her back, hug her tight: “Let’s just agree to the fact that we like each other. We should have enough trust in one another to be able to joke with each other freely.”

I felt her nod her head against my shoulder.

“Am I interrupting you guys?”

Only hyung’s voice could make me jump like that.

Min Seol and I let go of each other. She was blushing, more than I had ever seen her do so and I couldn’t help but grin at hyung, who wasn’t doing anything to hide his amusement.

“Hyung,” I began: “Aren’t you happy that I’m not fighting with your precious, little sister-in-law anymore?”

“Happy? I’m impressed.” he smirked, first eyeing Min Seol and then me: “Yeah, you just keep that up, don’t be jealous though. You’re precious too little brother.”

A laugh escaped my mouth at hyung’s use of the word ‘jealous’. He had absolutely no idea just how right the timing of his advice was.

 

Author

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Eun Jo told his hyung and he really meant it.

“Good!” Seung Jo said slowly: “I actually came up here to tell you guys that Ha Ni broke in the kitchen. You two are having dinner with us today, now, to be accurate.”

“Got it hyung.” Eun Jo replied: “We’ll be down in a bit.”

Seung Jo nodded, giving both teenagers one final once-over, before he headed down the stairs.

Min Seol, who had been listening to the two brothers’ conversation silently, mostly due to embarrassment, wasted no time in trying to follow her brother-in-law, the keyword being ‘trying’.

And still, Eun Jo was faster.

He had her wrist in his grasp, even before she was able to take one step out of the door: “Where are you going?”

She turned to face me, face still rather flushed: “Oppa called us down for dinner.”

He smiled: “I know.”

Maybe it was because of the blood rushing to her cheeks, maybe it was the heat in the room, or maybe it was just the fact that they weren’t fighting anymore, but he could have sworn that when he touched his lips to hers, she felt different.

Her skin was warmer, her hands more imploring and her lips were softer than he remembered them to be.

He pulled away, slowly, reluctantly.

“Now we can go and have dinner with our intruding siblings.” he murmured, leaning his forehead against hers.

She breathed out a small laugh.

Min Seol didn’t think she would forget this day, ever. Because… something had changed between her and Eun Jo and that something was positive, as far as she was concerned…

End of Chapter

 

Hi!

Goodness, I'm inspired! Three chapters in less than two weeks and there's more where that came from...

I just want to remind you guys of something. This is supposed to be a short story and I don't think it will exceed 15-20 chapters (exaggerated) but I'm going to end this the right way...

Anyways, it's not ending yet,,,

So, Eun Jo and Min Seol had their first fight-and-make-up as a couple. They're growing closer as well and I'm loving them more and more<3

What do you think? Comments and PMs are appreciated!

Thank you to all those wo commented on the last chapter and to all my subscribers. To all the new subscribers, WELCOME!!!

Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes =)

Kamsahamnida!

p.s. I love you all <333