Chapter 19

Losing To You

Losing To You Chapter 19

 

Min Seol

They were all there...

Omma, appa, Geum Hee ahjumma, Soo Chang ahjusshi, Ha Ni unnie, Seung Jo oppa and even all the four children, they were all there, gathered in the living room.

“You two are rather late, don’t you think?” ahjumma asked.

She was being sarcastic.

Oh no. If even Geum Hee ahjumma was being sarcastic, then nothing good could come out of this.

Standing next to me, Eun Jo started to say something: “Omma we-“

Geum Hee ahjumma pulled out something from behind her back and that was all it took for Eun Jo to shut up instantly.

There it was again.

That picture, it was staring us down with the rest of our family, as if we were the two most disappointing people in the whole wide world.

“What did you say?” I whispered to Eun Jo: “Maybe they haven’t even seen the photo?”

He scowled: “Exactly! I said maybe. I’m sorry for trying not to worry you. Next time you’re about to lose it, I won’t try to calm you down.”

“Stop whispering and speak up! Would you care to explain this to us?”

The loud order made us both jump.

Omma had never been a person to shout at anyone, except for appa maybe and that only when they were fighting.

The last time she had spoken to me in such a loud tone had been, when my biological father had made an appearance.

And even at that time her harshness had not been meant for me.

My eyes stared at my mother.

Had she really just spoken to us like that?

Had we done something so bad that we deserved this kind of cold treatment from our mothers?

Eun Jo sighed, pressing his palms to his face for a moment, before taking my hand in his: “We’re together.”

Silence.

This time I took a deep breath: “We have been together for six years.”

Again, silence.

Eun Jo confessed the next part: “We’re very serious about this relationship.”

What exactly did they want us to tell them?

Why weren’t they saying anything?

What was wrong with all of them?

Wha-

My train of thoughts was halted in its tracks, when Seung Jo oppa and Ha Ni unnie started to laugh.

Hysterically, they started laughing hysterically, unnie even going as far as clutching Seung Jo oppa for support, so that she didn’t fall off of the couch arm she was sitting on.

It took those two about five minutes to calm down and I had to admit, I had never seen Seung Jo oppa laugh this much.

“Oh, come on!” unnie turned in her seat to face our family: “These two have been playing hide and seek with us for six years! Can you believe it?” she snorted, turning back to us: “Yah Baek Eun Jo! Six years? Really? Is that why you asked me to take a look at some rings all those months ago?”

Rings? Eun Jo had asked for unnie’s help to choose a ring for me and had still managed to evade all of her questions, which I was sure she had asked him.

Huh. How was that even possible?

Unnie gasped suddenly, her gaze fixated on Eun Jo’s and mine intertwined hands: “That’s one of the rings we looked at.” her eyes shot up to my face: “Did he propose to you?”

I felt the blood rush to my face, making it blush, as I nodded my head at the question.

For the second time Eun Jo sighed, taking a few steps closer to where our entire family sat on the sofas, my hand still clasped in his: “I know this is probably really awkward for all of you and we wanted to tell you about us ourselves. We even planned on doing it today, but then all hell broke loose with this picture.” he paused, glancing at me for an instant and then returning his attention back to our families: “I want to marry Min Seol and if you give us your blessings, I would want to marry her as soon as possible.”

He bowed his head in front of our elders, leaving me staring at him in amazement. First he had proposed to me in a storage room, stacked with files and now he was asking our family for their permission without even a hint of fear or nervousness in his eyes.

So Young squirmed in Seung Jo oppa’s lap and whispered loud enough for everyone to hear: “Appa, are Min Seol imo and Eun Jo samchun getting married?”

Now it was our parents who started laughing. Omma and Geum Hee ahjumma exchanged a look, nodding at each other first and then at us. I didn’t understand anything at that moment.

Geum Hee ahjumma, finally calm again, said: “Of course you two have our blessings. We were just testing you to see, if you’d back out from telling us the truth or not.”

Seeing our confused expressions, she explained further: “Actually all of us had been suspecting that something was wrong between you two since Eun Jo came back from his military service. Both of you were behaving rather odd. “

She looked from me to Eun Jo: “Anyways, your father called me to the company today, because he’d forgotten some files at home. On my way back I thought I’d visit you two, but your team leader told me that you were busy looking for some important files in the old Data Room.”

I felt all the blood that had rushed in just a few minutes ago, drain from my face as ahjumma continued her little tale: “So I went to the old Data Room and found the most interesting sight in a long time.”

She held up our picture again: “The kiss, the confession, the proposal and the decision to tell us about you, I saw all of it with my own eyes.”

“Wait a minute.” Eun Jo was as white as a sheet: “Are you trying to tell me that you were the one who took that picture. You posted it on the company’s notice board?”

Ahjumma nodded, a grin stretched across her face: “What? You fooled us for six years. It’s only fair that we got to fool you for at least a day, right?”

Our parents broke out into laughter once again.

Unnie and oppa joined them as well and all Eun Jo and I could do was to stare at our strangely weird family.

It wasn’t until later, when they threw us both out of the house for a walk, to get our thoughts back in order, that I noticed something. What they had done was nothing compared to the hide and seek game we had been playing with them for years.

Unnie and Geum Hee ahjumma had been totally right!

I started laughing, thinking about how they had managed to fool us so easily.

Eun Jo just shook his head at me, probably thinking that I had gone mad.

That didn’t matter though, our family finally knew that we were together and they were actually happy for us…

End of Chapter

 

Hey guys!

Well... I think I failed to mention something the last time around.

This, meaning chapter 19, was the last chapter of this story... ='(

Actually, you don't have to worry though. I'm not just gonna leave you guys and myself hanging like that. I have written an epilogue which I will post in a few days and then the story will officially end.

So, this time almost all of you guessed the culprit right. Yes, it was our mother dearest, because that's what she does best right? Matchmaking her children and all that.

Well, what did you think about this chapter? Please tell me in your comments and PMs. They are highly appreciated!

Thanks to everyone, who commented on the last chapter and to all my subscribers as well.

To all my new subscribers: Welcome and happy reading!

Sorry for any spelling and/or grammar mistakes =)

Thank you all for your support!

p.s. I love you all <3