Chapter 14

Losing To You

Losing To You Chapter 14

 

Ha Ni

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

The sound of the clock usually helped me to fall asleep.

I had put the children to bed almost seven hours ago and decided to call it a day for myself as well.

But, it was past two ‘o clock in the morning now and sleep just wouldn’t befall me.

Min Seol’s words had calmed me down. Well, at least for about two days they had managed to do that, that is. After that I had gone from being calm to being worried, then to being anxious, leading to my current state, which was nothing other than a nervous wreck.

Work had been quite hectic for the past week and I hadn’t seen the rest of the family either, other than the times I dropped off and picked up the children.

The only things keeping me kind of sane were Jae Mi, So Young and the little one.

Seung Jo would be home by tomorrow noon and I still had no clue on how to tell him that he was going to be a father… for the third time.

I let my hands wander down to the tiny bulge on my stomach and thought of the last time I had seen my husband.

We had fought over something, something so silly it was hard for me to remember what it had been about.

Even after all these years of marriage, it was a rarity for Seung Jo to ever apologize to me. On that day he had done it though, he had said sorry and what had happened after that had been -no doubt about that- what had led to the new extension to our family.

I felt my face scrunch up, as a queasy feeling invaded my body, making me shoot out of my warm and comfortable bed and run towards the cold bathroom.

Pregnancy had its up and downsides, I knew that much after experiencing it the last two times, but morning sickness this time around was just a bit too much.

No scratch that. They shouldn’t even call it morning sickness, it should be called 24/7 sickness.

When I was brushing my teeth for the nth time today, my baby made itself know once again. Of course, if I was throwing up all the time, it also meant that my baby and were permanently hungry…

Ten minutes later and I was sitting at the dining table in the kitchen, with a half-eaten plate of warmed-up leftovers from today’s dinner in front of me.

That’s when I heard it, the strange sound.

The door, someone was at the door.

Who would be at the door in the middle of the night?

I didn’t have to wait long for my question to be answered.

Just when I had stood up from the table and stepped into the entryway, the door opened.

It felt like I was watching one of my beloved horror films. You know, like the ones where you think: ‘Why isn’t that dumb girl moving from the damn spot? She should be running for her life!’ Once you stand in the same spot as the dumb girl in the movies you come to understand why she doesn’t move. Curiosity, in some cases, should be considered a sin.

Fortunately enough, it was not a serial killer, who entered the house at that moment. No, it was my husband, none other than Baek Seung Jo himself.

Finally, closing the door behind him, he turned around: “Ha Ni-ah, why are you still awake?”

Well, those were not the words I had been hoping for upon seeing him again… But they didn’t stop me from flinging myself into his unexpected arms either.

He caught me, despite his initial surprise, though we still did tumble to the floor, me landing on top of him.

He groaned under me: “Did you plan on killing me as soon as I stepped through the door?”

I grinned at his sarcasm, before giving him a bone-crushing hug: “I missed you so, so, so much!”

His body relaxed in my hold and he managed to wrap his arms around me: “Yeah, I missed you too.” he paused: “Now that we have that cleared, can we get off of the floor?”

“No!” I shook my head furiously: “You need to kiss me first.”

There was a distinctive sound at this statement, he was chuckling: “Let’s just get off of this floor and I promise that I’ll kiss you right away.”

My face morphed into a frown but I stood up nonetheless and then watched him repeat the latter action.

He proceeded to dust himself off and finally straightened, looking down at me, eyes twinkling with amusement: “You were saying?”

That was all it took for me throw myself at him again, although this time he was expecting it. We stumbled into the nearest wall, as our lips crashed together, tasting each other after months of separation.

I couldn’t imagine a clumsier and at the same time more spectacular kiss, than this one right here.

“I thing I fell in love with you, all over again, just now.” the words rushed out of my mouth, in a breathless whisper, as soon as we parted.

He pressed another quick kiss to my mouth: “Good, I love you too.”

A few minutes passed and I found myself seated at the dining table once more, the only difference being Seung Jo, who sat down next to me.

Taking one of my hands into his own, he turned my chair around so that I was facing him: “They let us leave one day earlier. I would have been here in the afternoon, but the train was delayed, so…” he trailed off: “This was supposed to be a surprise for you, it seems like I’m the surprised one here though… How come you’re still awake? Did you have a nightshift at the hospital?”

I shook my head softly: “No, I just couldn’t sleep that’s all.”

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion: “You couldn’t sleep? Are you alright? You’re not sick, right?”

A small smile appeared on my lips: “Don’t worry Seung Jo, there’s nothing wrong with me.”

His eyes searched my face, before they wandered over to the table next to us: “You were having a midnight snack?”

I followed his gaze, landing on the long-forgotten food I had been eating before he had arrived.

“Yeah, you know the baby’s acting up a lot and I just can’t seem to keep my food down this time, so I’m hungry all the time and-“ I cut myself off right there.

The words had just blurted out, without me ever intending to say them. Only when I had felt Seung Jo stiffen next to me had I realized what I was telling him about.

Slowly, his free hand reached out towards my face, turning my head back to face him: “The baby? If I’m not wrong then you’re not talking about So Young, are you?”

My emotions had formed into a jumbled mess. I didn’t know whether to be relieved that he finally knew, or whether to be mortified on how it had happened.

Seung Jo let his fingers tighten around mine: “Ha Ni-ah?”

His grip brought me out of my trance: “You were not supposed to find out like this. Please tell me you’re not mad!”

He shook his head at me, sliding his chair closer to mine: “Don’t be silly Ha Ni. Why would I be mad? You know I love you and I love our children, all of them. I’m just a little bit confused as to how this happened, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not happy.” he paused: “How far are you along?”

I sighed in relief: “It happened during your last visit, so a little over three months now.”

“Over three months, already.” he seemed to be thinking: “Ha Ni this means I’m not going to be here for the delivery. Hell, I’m not going to be here for any part of the pregnancy! Your job, the house and the girls, how are you going to manage all this on your own?”

Now I had to calm him: “Your concern is valid, but I don’t think I’m going to be doing anything on my own, except for the job. Our family has always been of great help to us and I believe they will be this time as well.”

“Do they know?” he asked.

“Only Min Seol knows, but I’ll tell everyone else in two or three days.” I told him.

He appeared to be calm enough now: “Good… How are Jae Mi and So Young?”

I freed my hand from his and cupped his face: “They’re fine, but they miss you, especially Jae Mi. She’s always talking about you.”

He closed his eyes, sighing: “You can’t imagine how much I missed them Ha Ni. I never thought I would turn out like this, stranded in the army and missing my parents, my siblings, my wife and children to this extent. It’s hell.”

“Hey.” I leaned forward, grazing my lips over his briefly: “One year is almost over already. You’re halfway through… Now can we please go upstairs? I don’t think I’ll be able to attend Eun Jo and Min Seol’s graduation, if we don’t go to sleep now.”

He chuckled lightly, kissing me once more: “Yeah, we should go to bed. It is rather late…”

End of Chapter

 

Hey guys!

First of, let me tell you that I'm trying really hard to update as fast as possible, so please bear with me... because really, there's only a few chapters left to this story, I mean this was chapter 14 already...

Now, coming to this chapter. It is purely HyunMin, totally intended at that. It was a good change to write one of their scenes once again. HyunMin are very special to me, this couple (fictional) is the reason I started writing fanfics and they are also the reason that "Losing To You" has garnered so much interest. 

I didn't do anything big or phenomenal here, I know that, but I wanted them to have this scene... Please tell me how you liked it in your comments and PMs, both are very much appreciated. A special Thank You to those, who commented on the last chapter and to all new subscribers (I'm still gaining them): WELCOME and Happy Reading!

Thank you all for your support!

p.s. Sorry for any spelling and/or grammar mistakes!

p.s.s. I Love You All <3