Chapter 13

Losing To You

Losing To You Chapter 13

One Year after Special Kiss Epilogue (Chapter 12)

 

Min Seol

“Seung Jo will be visiting next week.” unnie whispered to me, while tucking So Young in.

A smile spread across my face, as I watched her kiss both of her children good night: “Really, Seung Jo oppa is coming?”

Seung Jo oppa had been serving his military service for almost a year now.

Unnie nodded, turning of the lights in both children’s room: “He told me not to tell anyone, especially Eun Jo and you, since he wanted to surprise you on your Graduation Day.”

I plopped down on the couch in her room: “You do realize that you just told me though, right?”

Unnie chuckled, letting herself fall down on her bed: “That’s because I need you to keep a secret of mine instead.”

“Secret?” curiosity through me through me: “What kind of secret are you talking about unnie?”

She let out an audible breath: “I’m pregnant Min Seol.”

“What?” I sat up straight: “Unnie are you serious?”

He sat up as well: “No, I’m joking.” she paused: “Of course I’m serious! What kind of stupid question is that?”

Seung Jo oppa’s sarcasm definitely had had an effect on unnie over the years.

“Calm down, I’m just a bit surprised, that’s it.” I stood up from the couch to sit down on the bed, next to my sister and threw my arms around her: “Congratulations!”

She giggled, hugging me back as best as she could: “Thanks. But you have to remember not to tell anyone, okay?”

“Okay.” I nodded: “But I don’t understand something. Why keep it a secret?”

She sighed, letting go of me: “Because Seung Jo doesn’t know yet. I still haven’t told him.”

I was confused as hell: “You mean to say, you told me before telling oppa?”

She seemed to understand my unspoken ‘why’ and said: “After So Young was born, we kind of agreed on no more children. I mean, I don’t even know how this happened. I was on birth control after So Young’s birth. I have no idea how to tell him. You know how Seung Jo is. He can’t stand it, if everything doesn’t according to his plan.”

Understanding dawned on me: “There’s no need for you to be scared like this unnie. And as far as I know, nothing in Seung Jo oppa’s life has gone according to his plan, since he got to know you. He loves you, Jae Mi and So Young so much and he’s going to love this child just as much. Believe me!”

The next day, I was seated in a café, filling out some papers that needed to be handed in before Graduation Day next week.

Eun Jo was sitting in front of me, having filled out the papers long ago and I had been feeling his gaze on me for the last fifteen minutes.

Finally, putting a full stop after the last sentence on the form, I looked up at him: “What?”

He shook his head: “Nothing. Just…” he trailed off: “Do you have something you want to tell me?”

I blinked, rapidly. Was it really that obvious to him that I was keeping a secret?

But I couldn’t let unnie down this time, so I spilled the other thing I had been trying to hide: “I got an internship at your father’s company. I don’t think he knows yet though.”

He seemed a little surprised: “Congrats.” I smiled and he continued, without waiting for me to thank him: “I’ll be attending the military service after graduating.”

My smile faltered: “What?”

Eun Jo looked all around us, before returning his gaze to mine: “Listen, don’t freak out, okay? You’re the first one I’m telling this to”

Great, another secret to keep: “Why now?”

He sighed, looking rather uncomfortable: “Now is the exact right time. Appa isn’t the youngest anymore and he already suffered from a heart attack once.”

“And apparently you’re trying to give him another one.” I interrupted him.

Outraged, would describe his expression the best: “Yah Kim Min Seol!”

Okay, so I was being mean: “I’m sorry. It’s just that Soo Chang ahjusshi expects you to join the company after graduating.”

“I know.” he sounded exhausted: “But as I said, appa isn’t the youngest anymore and I have to attend the army someday. Now is a better time for doing so then later. Just imagine, I join the company now. In a few years, he’ll retire and expect me to take over and when that happens, I won’t be able to get away. Hyung never wanted to take over the company and I wouldn’t want to force him to leave his duties at the hospital and lead the company, just so that I can go to the army later on in time. So tell me, isn’t it better to get this whole thing over with now, rather than forcing appa or hyung to go out of their ways later on?”

Damn it! He had a point, like always.

He kept staring at me and I realized that even though he had already made his decision and was sure of it, he was waiting for my approval.

“When are you going?” I asked.

He pursed his lips, before answering: “Three weeks from now. They’re putting me in the same division as hyung.”

I in a shuddering breath, trying to keep my tears from spilling: “You can be such a damned bastard sometimes Baek Eun Jo!” my tears, traitors that they were, seemed to have a mind of their own though: “But I’m still going to miss you like hell.”

 

Eun Jo

Tears…

I had always had a problem with her tears.

They just made me feel terrible, even if I hadn’t caused them. This time, it was my fault though.

Slight panic overcame me, as her tears didn’t cease to flow, even after five minutes of quiet, constant sobbing.

“Yah, you’re not supposed to cry.” my voice sounded alarmed, even to my own ears: “And you’re definitely not supposed to call me a bastard. You’re my girlfriend, remember?

She cracked a smile at that: “Just try to be a little less blunt with your father, than you were with me right now, because he does have a faint heart and ahjumma, be nice to her. She’s going to be real sad with both her boys gone.”

So typical, she was ordering me to care for my parents, instead of pacifying her, when she was crying: “Don’t worry… You’re not mad at me, are you?”

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she wiped those dangerous tears off of her face: “No, it’s not like we can change the South Korean Law, just because we don’t like some parts of it. You had to do it someday, so I guess you’re right. Now is better than later.”

This was the reason why I mostly felt like a jerk in front of her.

She forgave me way too easily.

I admit, I hadn’t had a clue, if she was hiding something from me or not. I had just been looking for the right moment to tell her of my decision.

Contrary to my words, I thought she had every right to call me a damned bastard…

End of Chapter

 

Yep, you've read correctly. Seung Jo is in the army and Eun Jo will be joining him very soon.

Just to make it clear, I don't know the first thing about the Seouth Korean Military service, just that the men have to attend it at one point in their lifes.

Now this is where it's going to get interesting. We are nearing the final twist in this story...

Believe me when I say, that you will like what I have in store for those two.

Anyways, I want your opinion, comments and PM are both appreciated.

To those of your, who commented on Chapter 11, thank you and to all the new subscribers: Welcome and happy reading!

Kamsahamnida for your support guys!

p.s. Sorry for any spelling and/or grammar mistakes!

p.p.s. I love you <3

p.p.p.s. I just coldn't help but make Ha Ni pregnant... again! I think one future Chapter is going have some HyunMin in it...