Chapter 1

Losing To You

 

Losing To You Chapter 1

Min Seol

What was I doing in this house?

It was New Year’s Eve and I was at a party?

Why had I let myself be convinced by Geum Hee ahjumma, to come here?

Sure, I was invited, just like the rest of class seven and a bunch of other people but the problem was that my friends had disappeared somewhere and now I was standing in the middle of some random room, looking for them.

Oh and there was this other problem, named Baek Eun Jo but he was a constant one, so I was used to it.

He was also here, along with the rest of class one. I saw him, with some of his friends, chatting casually and ignoring me, like he always did, in front of our friends and schoolmates.

Considering the fact, that we practically lived together and ACTUALLY were some kind of friends, I felt sad, knowing that he couldn’t admit it to anyone, not even himself, it seemed.

He was looking good in his blue jeans and black button-down shirt, simple, effortless and still good-looking.

He had grown pretty much, since the first time I had laid my eyes on him, more than two years ago and god was he handsome!

Yes, I had admitted it to myself; I had a crush on him, no I liked him, like really, really liked him and there was no way, I would confess my feelings for him!

Ha Ni unnie had told me, what had happened to her after she had confessed to Seung Jo oppa and a person had to be blind, to not to notice the resemblance between Eun Jo and his hyung, in looks and characteristics.

All of this didn’t solve my dilemma though, I had been hooked, the first time I saw him in school and every time, I had tried to stop my infatuation, it just progressed in the opposite direction.

He was simply put an at times but there were also times, where he would behave so sweet and caring.

I sighed, totally lost in my mind, I hadn’t noticed, that my friends were back at my flanks.

Only when Mee Yon tipped me on my shoulder, did I become aware of them: “Your eyes are going to pop out, if you continue gaping at him, like that.”

Instantly, I averted my gaze from Eun Jo and looked at my friends: “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Of course I knew, what she was talking about, the fact that I had been busted just bugged me.

Here was another dilemma, even though I had neither confessed, nor told anyone about my feelings for Eun Jo, the whole school was still sure as hell, that there certainly were some. There were also rumors about him liking me back and about us dating and some other random stuff but mostly, it was bad for me, because no one ever dared to talk to Eun Jo about these things, only to me.

This always ended in me being embarrassed, flustered and last but not least, highly pissed off.

“Oh, please don’t pretend to be all innocent!”, my other friend, Hee Young told me: “We all know that you like him and believe it or not, he likes you too.”

See what I meant? They were so positively sure, it made me cringe inwardly.

“Whatever.”, I muttered and decided to drink something, to cool off.

 

Eun Jo

What was I doing here again?

Oh, right! My so called ‘friends’ dragged me here. Seriously, me and parties simply didn’t fit together, just like me and Min Seol.

Yes, she was here too.

Honestly speaking, that girl was one of the few true friends I could think of, at that moment, so why was I still ignoring her, in front of our schoolmates?

I didn’t really know.

Maybe because I was aware of her feelings for me, I didn’t find out about them through the rumors though. It was, when the whole dilemma with that poster and that bastard Choi Yun Ho happened, that’s when I had found out.

I was just happy about the fact that she hadn’t confessed or anything until now, I wouldn’t know how to handle that.

I wasn’t as stupid as my brother had been, about the matter with Ha Ni hyung-soo. There was no doubt within me that I had SOME kind of feelings for Min Seol too. She was cute, kind, optimistic, always so happy and lately, I had begun to refer to her as pretty, even if she annoyed the hell out of me sometimes.

Hyung had always avoided, admitting his feelings for Oh Ha Ni, even to himself, out of fear that anyone else, especially omma, could have found out, when everyone already knew.

Oh, who was kidding? I was afraid of exactly those things too. Why? If omma found out, I would be stuck in something, that maybe I didn’t want at all.

Who knew how long my feelings for Min Seol would last?

“Earth to Eun Jo!”, Il Sung, also a true friend, waved his hands in front of my face, waking me up from my trance.

“Sorry, did you say something?”, I asked.

“Yeah, I said, let’s go to the other room. Everyone is playing ‘truth or dare’.”, he grabbed my arm and pulled me with him. Truth or dare, had he said? I hated that game!

Once in the living room, where all the people were seated in a circle on the floor, he pushed me to sit down too and took the seat, left to mine.

I turned to see, who was on my right side, only to encounter Min Seol there.

She was busy, talking to her friend, telling her that she really didn’t want to play and hadn’t noticed me.

I glared at Il Sung, who shot a knowing grin in my direction. True friend, my ! He had done this on purpose, making me sit next to Min Seol.

As the game started, my neighbor became aware of my presence but stayed silent.

Some stupid dares were pulled off, some uninteresting truths were revealed and then, as if all this wasn’t bad enough, the bottle pointed in my direction.

While most of the people started cheering, as usual, I groaned on the inside.

My eyes fixed on the person, who had spun the bottle in the first place. It was Choi Yun Ho, that bastard and he had that ever-so-dirty grin on his face.

I picked dare. There was no way I would reveal anything secret, in a room full of gossipy teenagers.

The bastard’s grin grew wider.

“The girl next to you.”, he pointed to Min Seol, oh-oh: “I dare you, to kiss her.”

Everyone in the room gasped in unison, everyone except Min Seol and me. She had stiffened beside me, I could feel her tenseness.

I turned to her, she was flustered, her face was crimson but her eyes were shooting daggers in Choi Yun Ho’s direction.

My attention went back to the bastard: “You like her, why would you want me to kiss her?”

I remembered his confession with an edge of bitterness in my mind.

“Oh, come on, Baek Eun Jo!”, he exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air: “She doesn’t like me but you punched me for her, you shouldn’t have any problems with the dare, should you?”, he challenged.

For God’s sake, me punching him happened one and a half years ago and it was still a hot topic for gossip in school.

“And maybe you just want another beating, huh?”, it was Min Seol, she had kept quiet during our exchange and now her fists were clenched at her sides. She was ready to launch herself at him. Not again! Just as she was about to get up, my hand reached out and clutched one of hers.

I stood up and pulled her up to her feet. For a few seconds, we just stood there, in a room full of silent people staring at us, her hand engulfed in mine and then I announced: “We’re leaving.”

With these words, I began marching up to the main door, dragging Min Seol with me and she didn’t struggle against my hold on her.

Once we were outside and at least a km away from the house, I let go of her.

It was cold, dark and past midnight already. Fireworks were exploding in the sky, above us, covering it in bursts of bright colors, celebrating the arrival of the new year.

Our walk proceeded in silence, which was unusual. Normally, she would ramble on and on about random things and I would listen to her, occasionally, rolling my eyes, or giving a snarky comment.

But who could blame her for being silent today? Some random had challenged me to kiss her and I hadn’t done it. Though she was visibly relieved, there was also a part of her that was disappointed, I could see it.

She felt rejected.

We were in front of her house now, walking along the wall. I didn’t know what possessed me in that moment but the next thing I knew, I pushed her against the wall, imprisoning her between it and me. Her eyes looked confused into mine but my head was already drawing closer. The last thing I saw was her closing her eyes, before I did the same.

I swallowed one last time and then my mouth met hers. I was kissing her, moving my lips over hers, as she did the same.

When I pulled back and looked at her, her eyes were still closed and she was breathing heavily, just like me.

Slowly, she opened her eyes again, her dark orbs stared at me, widening, her face forming a stunned expression.

What had I just done?!

How did I explain this to her? Hell, how did I explain this to myself?!

Hesitantly, my arms pushed away from the wall behind her: “I hate losing.”

These were the last words I said, before leaving a shocked Min Seol in the empty street and walking home.

I hate losing?

Had I really told her that?

Was the bastard’s dare, the only reason I had kissed her?

I sighed. I really didn’t think so…

End of Chapter

 

Let the story begin, I guess!