Unimportant things

For my Friends with Love (Open again)

*****

After evening meal Rin and Doojoon stayed near the fading fire enjoying the rest and talking about the events of the day.

Doojoon kept thinking how much this girl made his stay here bearable, especially the first days, when he could not find a common language with the volunteers group. She was always near him, trying to smooth things between him and the rest, and even convincing her parents, who were the leaders on the site, to give way few times to something that filming director wanted to do. 

Rinnie was oblivious to his thoughts and were still laughing recalling the priceless expression on the James’ face after he lost all the rounds of the game to Doojoon.

-         How you were able to do it?

Doojoon smiled archly.

-         I'm good at memorizing small, unimportant things. When and where I met with someone, when, what I wore.  That's why I'm the best at rock, paper and scissors. You'll notice who puts forth which one more often if you keep a close eye out. I noticed during previous 2 days that they solve each dispute among themselves with that game. So it was worth a try.

-         That’s amazing!

Rin clapped her hands in delight.

-         You have not seen the most amazing part yet.

Doojoon said with the twinkle in his eyes and reached for something in his pocket.

-         Here, its for you. I bought it at the market. They say it’s a tradition here to give such bracelet to the girl you like.

-         And you are g-g-g-iving it to me?

Rin stuttered a little, her heart beating wildly.

-         Do you see anyone else around?

Doojoon smirked and leaned closer, catching her lips in a soft kiss

 

*****

It was their last day in Zambia. Before leaving, Rin and her parents decided to visit famouse Victoria Falls. The filming group went with them. So, Rin assumed that they also flying back today, as all the jobs at the site was done.

-         Do you want to eat something before we go to airport or we will have some snacks there?

She asked Doojoon, the two have walked separately from the rest of the group, enjoying their time together.

He looked at her.

-         I am not flying today, we are scheduled to visit the legendary walking safari through the Luangwa Valley after that.

Rin could not hide her disappointment. They stood silently watching the Falls.

 

- Ri-i-i-nnie!  Ri-i-i-n! Rin Chyeon!

She suddenly heard the frantic voices calling her name from somewhere. Glancing at her watch she gasped! 

- OMG!  I am already 40 minutes late to the gathering point! Sorry, I have to go! 

Rinnie hurriedly ran away, being so shocked by her time loss that she totally forgot that none of them talked how to find each other again or suggested to exchange numbers and emails. All she could think of was the scolding she was going to get from her parents and how worried the whole group must be.

After running all the way down, apologizing to everyone and getting into the bus, she slowly came to her senses. And it downed on her that she just left Doojoon without even proper good bye and no way to contact again!

 “Stupid! Stupid! Nooo, totally idiotic!!”  Rinnie was screaming in her head at herself.

 

Doojoon was so astonished by her hurried departure, that he was motionless for a good 10 minutes. He shook the daze off and ran after her, but when he was able to get down from the top of the hill he could only see the back lights of their disappearing bus.   

 

Epilogue.

 

Rin was not expecting the first school day as she thought she would. Instead of telling her friends stories of life in Africa, a unique nature and leaving in actual desert as she imagine before, she now wanted just to keep all memories to herself. Her meeting Donjoon and their time together already seemed as a mirage of the desert. And she felt that telling all this will somehow rob her from those memories. Or, to be truthful, will remind her how easily she lost her chance for great love.

 

She was so caught up in her thoughts that she hardly raised her eyes from the road, but near the school entrance she was suddenly stopped by someone. Looking up surprised she could not believe her eyes! It was Yoon Doojoon, in person, the smile wide on his face.

 

-Hi, princess! 

He warmly greeted her and she flung into his arms without second thought. After laughing and hugging, Rinnie was finally able to speak.

 

-         How you were able to find me?

 

 Doojoon  smirked. 

 

-         Have not I told you before? I'm good at memorizing small, unimportant things. I remembered the pin on your bag with your school symbol, pabo.