Unimportant things

For my Friends with Love (Open again)

****

2 days before

 

After the tiring flight, rough riding on African roads to the village and final arrival into the camp he was staying near the bags with other crew waiting to be appointed to the hut he will be staying in during the following days.

He can see the volunteers whom their team was suppose to join in work slowly gathering one by one and curiously overlooking the chaos their arrival caused. Even if he had his back turned to the group who ended up staying not too far, he could not help not to overhear their discussion. And the things he heard were not the pleasant ones. But that also was somehow expected. Well, he will just have to prove himself to them.

After leaving all his belongings in his assigned tent he decided to have a look around the camp.

He looked around not sure in which direction to go. “Should he ask for help one of the volunteers? Probably not the best of ideas after what he heard” – Doojoon scanned the territory and suddenly his gaze met eyes of the pretty girl, who was standing not very far. He was expecting her to turn away and pretend that nothing happened, but instead he was surprised by the shy smile.

*****

All the commotion from new arrivals settled and everyone went back to their tasks, but Rin still  was not moving, pondering what to do. She was surprised to found out that Doojoon went out from his tent again. She panicked for a minute, but it was too late – their eyes met and Doojoon started moving in her direction. She was relieved to find out that he wanted to have a tour of the camp and was glad that it was her he asked.

So they walked slowly, him throwing few questions and her pointing at where the kitchen, cans with water, digging site and the rest of places he should know were located. It was very little said by either, while Rinnie was fighting with herself if to bring up the subject of the morning talk or not. As they were almost done with the tour, she found courage to say:

 

-         You know, I am extremely sorry that you have heard all that in the morning…

-          Its ok, I guess.

He replayed in nonchalant tone; his eyes kept looking into the desert behind the camp.

-         No, its not ok! They don’t know you at all and should not make those assumptions!

Rin answered, sounding angry.

He was surprised by her sudden outburst, but still asked sarcastically.

-         Are you saying that YOU know me?

But she was not the one to back away.

-         Yes, I do!

Rin raised her chin stubbornly.

-         I remember you since you were in “Hot Blood”. Its too bad that you didn’t make it than, but they would not give a second chance to person who is not hardworking!

He looked at her in great surprise. And than Rin was greeted by the first genie smile she saw from him today.  

-         I think that I will quite enjoy my work here. Would you mind to walk more and show me the way to the nearest village?

*****

Back to present time

 

The shooting for him and Han Ji Min was finished for the day. PD told them to rest, but it was not his intention, as volunteers were still working. Doojoon choose to join the group with the guys of his age.

 

-         Hi everyone! Do you have a spare spade for me?

He asked cheerfully, but was met with silence.

 

The guy named James stepped forward.

-         We are fine here. You can go and rest. We don’t want to get the star tired.

 

-         The star may be tired, but I want to work. Is it wrong?

Doojoon looked straight into James eyes.

 

Team members silently exchanged looks, recognizing the truth behind his words. But James was not giving up.

 

-         How about that? If you win at least 3 rounds out of 5 at “rock, paper, scissors” with me, I would not say a word!

 

Doojoon just smirked.

-         Deal!

 

In few minutes James was left speechless with the weirdest expression on his face.

 

Doojoon winked at Rin, who was staying behind team’s backs, covering not to be heard and other hand at her stomach, double-benting from laughing.

 

-         So, where is my spade?

Doojoon asked casually.

 

 Without any further discussions the youngest volunteer gave extra spade to Doojoon. The work started again in uncomfortable silence, but slowly atmosphere began to change. First just few words were spoken when the next equipment needed to be passed or someone asked to bring the water. But seeing that  Doojoon was working as them all, not trying to slack off, guys started to treat him as their own. And very soon the noise of the talking and laugher was coming from that group. Once Rin even heard Doojoon rapping some silly joke.

 

The days work finished, Doojoon chose to join the guys in their trip to the village market to help buying some things for the evening meal.

And after he ate dried ants and larvae at the local market without even batting an eye, guys found a new respect for him. Even if he told them later that it was nothing hard, he was even amazed by the taste in his mouth.

 

*****