Memory Lane

For my Friends with Love (Open again)

****

Conny was getting ready to go out for the night, reaching for the remote to switch TV off, before leaving the apartment. But in a moment she was going to press the button, the announcement on the news caught her attention.

 

“SHINee’s leader, Onew, was hospitalized after performing at KBS Music Bank on Friday. One of the light fixtures on the stage fell. While Onew’s injury was not too bad, the entire incident was a bit more serious. The light fixture fell completely to the ground, and it could have hit many fans and stars. Thankfully, no one was hospitalized besides Onew…”

 

-         It can’t be…

 gasped Conny, and had not paid attention to any text after.

Some time passed, and Conny was still at home, seating on the couch, deep in thoughts. Finally she snapped out of it and after brief hesitation took her phone to dial Mr. Lee’s number.

 

*****

Onew felt like he was floating. The last thing he remembered was the noise coming from above him and the light flashing right into his face, expanding and becoming brighter the closer it got, finally blinding him completely. Than out of the darkness in his mind came another kind of light, like the gleam of sun, turning everything into sunset colours, till he could see a girl’s face in the center of that light. He opened his eyes and suddenly it downed on him. It was her. The girl definitely was her.

Once, after growing up, he went back to his old neighborhood, asking if anyone can recall the family with a child living briefly there some years ago, describing the girl the best he can. Unfortunately, no one had a recollection of such girl being their neighbor. Now he understands why. He was not technically wrong and his memory has not played a trick on him, but still he made a huge mistake about her appearance. And now, after seeing Conny in the park, he knew how.

*****

Conny stood near the door to Onew’s hospital room, clutching the flowers and big package with fried chickens in her hands nervously. Mr. Lee was actually nice enough to agree to send her as a representative from their magazine to visit Onew and arranged it with the SHINee’s Manager. Conny guessed that he did feel bad about previous time and was glad to do her a small favour. He even told her to buy a cake, but she figured that Onew will be more glad to receive chicken.

 

After knocking and hearing a soft yes, she stepped into the room. Onew was sitting on the made up bed, dressed up, ready to go home at any minute.

He greeted her with a wide smile. And his first words were something too different from the supposed greeting.

 

-         Do you still have the filigree?

 

-         Yes, of course. Why?

 

Conny answered automatically, but than, realizing the literal meaning of the question, looked at Onew with her eyes as wide as tea plates, breath caught in .

 

-         And you again bring me chicken when I feel bad.

 

Conny still could not comprehend what she was hearing.

-         I don’t understand.. What did you mean by that?

 

-         You don’t remember? I understand it difficult to recognize me now, but I use to have quite a long hair when I was really young and played in the park.

 

He titled his head watching her with happy expression and a light amusement.

The realization slowly down on her.

 

-         You.. You are.. You are that boy from when we visited Korea! How, how it can be?

 

He was laughing at her reaction. Than he suddenly got up and came closer to her.

-         By the way, do you remember that you already promised to be my girl?

 

Conny, who almost came up to her senses, lost her voice again, while slowly turning red for the umpteenths time in his presence. Now she remembered that day clearly. It was like the veil was lifted and she can tell any detail about their encounter. But it was hard to come to terms with the fact that little boy from her treasured memory and famous Lee Jinki was the same person.

 

-         It was not serious, we were children then..

 

She tried to reason a little, after her head stopped spinning from the unbelievable events that were happening to her.

 

But Onew was done with waiting. He pulled her in his arms and hugged her harder than previous time.

 

-There is no way I am letting you go now! Promise me you will never ever move from here again?

  Promise you will make Seoul your home? Our home?

 

She nodded and managed a whispered yes, not raising her head from his chest. Conny sighed contentedly and closed her eyes.

Yes, she was home.

 

The end

The Beginning

 

A small child was playing alone in the park. From the back all you can see was the child’s really long hair, tied with the filigree strip.

 

-         Hey, girl, do you want to play with us?

The older boy shouted from a group nearby.

-   You can be my girl!

 

The child turned to face them.

 

-         I am not a girl!

He pouted cutely.

 

-         Surely you are with such hair!

 

-         No, I am not!

He stomped his foot in anger.

 

-         You are a girl! - You are a girl! - You are a girl!

The boys sing-song the phrase, while laughing and running around small figure. 

 

-         We would not play with a sissy like you!

Said the one who spoke to him before and boys ran back to the other side of the park.

 

Little boy sat on the bench and cried, covering his face with hands.

 

-         They are stupid, don’t cry! I will play with you, I will be your girl!

      Here, do you want to eat it with me?

 

The boy suddenly heard someone talking to him. He raised his head to see a hand in front of his face, which was holding a paper package with some fried chickens in it. He looked further up and saw a smiling, slightly taller girl with bright blue eyes and curly strawberry hair. He nodded, still sniffing and drying up his tears with a hand. The girl sat near him. They ate in oddly comfortable silence till none of the chicken pieces were left.

 

-         What do you want to do next?

the girl finally asked.

 

-         The swings?

Boy sounded shy.

 

-         Sure!

The girl smiled and took his hand confidently.

 

The day went by very quick, two children finding the perfect companion in each other. If any grownups could have heard their thoughts, they would just smile and be touched by their cuteness and naivety.

 

“ I don’t want to go home, I want to play with him forever”

 

“I want to kiss her as I saw appa kissing umma” 

 

“I am telling my parents that I am marrying soon!”

 

 

Before parting small boy took the filigree from his hair, trusting it into girl’s hands.

 

-         You keep it!

 

-         What is it?

Girl asked, surprised a little.

 

-         Its a magic filigree! My mom says it brings luck!

was boy’s serious answer.

 

-          But than how could I take it from you? What will you do without it?

The girl seemed hesitant to take such precious thing.

 

-         I had it long enough and my mom said that she is cutting my hair today. And it’s to make sure I see you again! Will you play with me tomorrow?

 

-         Of course! Bye and thank you for the present!

 

After running in the direction of her house, she turned and waved her hand to him and than sent an air kiss, laughing. The sun sent its last rays behind her, making the golden halo around her head. That imagine was the one boy always remembered even after growing up.

 

Small girl had all intentions of keeping her promise, but she never knew that the plan of sending her back earlier to her grandmother was confirmed.

 

Little boy had never seen her on the playground after that. But he was not loosing hope. He gave her his magic filigree, did not he?