Parallels

Written in the Wind of Whimsy

Prompt 9: Parallels (min 700 words)
Kim Jaejoong
720 words


Tired and sleepy after working all day long, Jaejoong was seated at the back of the car, head leaning against the glass window  and looking out at the people walking by the sidewalk. It was a slow moving heavy traffic in the downtown area, and  the traffic light was red.

It would be great if he could be taking a break and be at a beach somewhere. Instead of the gruelling life he led. As expected of the only son of the CEO of a big company. He needed to prove he was worthy of being the son of a powerful rich man. Like it or not, he was being groomed to follow his father’s footsteps.

Given a chance to choose, he would rather be an artist, but he’s forced to work behind a table with paper works.  Wear three piece suits rather than his tattered jeans and v-neck black T-shirts. And wear leather shoes rather than his favorite boots. The earrings and rings he preferred were not allowed in the corporate world. The haircut he preferred was not allowed either, much less the hair colors he wanted done. Raven, it had to stay raven, when blond was so cool.

He missed his free time. There were not much now a days.  Most of his time was spent in the office or meetings.

A baby boy born past midnight. In that same time, a young man died of a car accident. Life and death. A parallel world of opposite end that will never meet. One was just beginning the other had ended.

In case another him was allowed to live in a world that parallels to his world right now, what would he be? Would he be a doctor, actor, scientist, writer, singer, painter, poet, killer, smuggler, drug addict, or alcoholic?

Would he be happy if his life was different.

What if, in this parallel world, he was dirt poor. Could he find the freedom he seeks. 

Can he find true friends that will not measure his worth by the thickness and depth of his pocket.

Love.  He’s already engaged to a girl he doesn’t love. It was the family who chose her. They said she was suitable and had the same disposition in life.  Both belong to rich well known families. He did not have a choice in the matter. He’ll be tied to a girl he doesn’t really know. They said that it was for the good of the family.  He should be a good son, just obey, and be quiet.

What if after the wedding, the girl that should be the one true love came along, it would be too late. Divorce was out of the question.

Greed and selfishness, she could become a mistress. Push her in the background, and forever be in the shadow. Make her suffer because of love. And the children of this would be called indiscretion, what would become of them. Would he love them more than the other children, but not be able to protect them. Cruel love. Would there be a chance to have such a thing. And, if that chance did come, would he grab it and take it to its very end whatever happen. Could he do it.

He’d rather wish, he would never meet her. Ask the gods of destiny to not let their path cross.

He knew in his heart of hearts what he was capable.

A girl came to his view walking towards his direction caught his attention. There was nothing special about the girl. Her clothes were ordinary, actually it could be considered comparatively inexpensive by his luxurious standard.

Unexplainable, there was something about the girl that caught him. He could not say why his eyes was drawn to her. Even after she passed by his car, his head could not help turn and follow her direction, and look at her leaving back.

Something came to him. seeing her move away from him. His heart started pounding. The farther she got the faster his heart was pounding. He gripped the door handle really tight, and when he saw her almost gone from his sight, he thought his heart stopped beating for a second.

Without thinking, he opened the door and ran towards her direction and looked for her.