Ineffable

Written in the Wind of Whimsy

Prompt 12: Ineffable (max. 1,250 words)
Jung U-know Yunho, Yeh-Eun, Kwon BoA, Lee Donghae, Kim Jaejoong, Kim Xiah Junsu, Park Micky Yoochun, Shim Max Changmin
1,161 words

My heart knows what my eyes may not see.
My heart knows what the world may not see.
My hands are lighter as it fly in the wind of song.
My hands are brighter as it shines in the sky of song.
I speak better with my hands and as you sit to listen.
I speak better with my fingers and as you smile to listen.
Hear me and smile with me as I take you in the wind of song.
Hear me and laugh with me as I fly with you in the wind of song.


The blind three years old child Yeh-Eun  was under their care, who’s a happy child, so cute and always smiling. Compared to other babies who may cry when they woke up, but she even as a baby on the other hand would already have a smile blooming when she opened her eyes. She seldom cry and the only time she would cry is when she’s really hungry.

Yunho is the Dad, but actually he is the child’s real uncle. His only sister BoA was the mother, but she and her husband Donghae died in a car accident that left the child an orphan. He took the child under his care and became the legal guardian. To Yunho the pain in loosing his sister was ineffable and beyond that there is no way he could explain it yet to a three years old child, who’s crying call for her mother had no right response to appease her lose.

They were all happy, when they all heard the good news that BoA was pregnant, and couldn’t wait for the day that their child would be born. It was the most awaited event in both sides of their families. And when that day came, they all should had been happy. They were for a brief moment.

At first it was tears of joy as they were so happy that Yeh-Eun finally came, but in a little time it was replaced with tears of ineffable sorrow for the pain of knowing their most awaited child was born blind.

BoA, who was heartbroken, blamed herself a great deal thinking she might had done something to cause their child to be born blind. Donghae blamed himself too thinking maybe he did something that could had cause their child to be that way. In his heart, he blamed BoA, too.

Yunho was devastated too, when he heard about the news, and felt sad and sorry for his sister, brother-in-law and most especially for his niece. He did not know how to comfort them and what to say. He cried and drank a few Sujo with his friends, who were sad too to hear the news. For everyone was happy along with Yunho  when they heard he was going to be an uncle.

Their parents were sad, too to hear their grandchild was born blind. They were hurting for their own children as they see their pain.

‘What future awaits for a blind child? What will happen to her?’ All of them thought.

BoA can’t believe it at first. She wanted to make sure that the doctor did have the right diagnosis and wanted a second opinion. Second and third opinions concurred with the first and they all said her condition was inborn and she will never be able to see.

During all those time, BoA could only shed tears as she held her Yeh-Eun in her arms as she felt so helpless and Donghae could only hold BoA by the shoulders also feeling so helpless. And, when he took turn and held his child there was this stone of sadness in his heart.

The days went and they grew to love Yeh-Eun more and more. Little by little the sadness was a tiniest bit lighter.

Yunho adored his little niece and would sing to her whenever he came to visit. And sometimes his friends Jaejoong, Junsu, Yoochun, and Changmin  went with him. All of them fell in love with her, and would take turn caring, playing, feeding and singing to her. She loved the attention. BoA and Donghae were always happy to welcome them to their home, because they saw how they loved their daughter and how she adored all of them.

In the present day, Yeh-Eun was often left to Yunho’s parents care when he went to his job. He would take care of her when he came home after work and sometimes his friends would drop-by to their home to take care of her, too.

One time Jaejoong was singing and playing the piano while he had Yeh-Eun on his lap. He was enjoying singing to her, and he new she was listening to him as she hummed along. When the song ended, he saw her trying to reach the keys, and then she pressed a few keys. He just watched her little fingers on the keys. At first she was off, just pressing keys, and then she suddenly started playing the song he just played. She missed a note here and there, and came back to find it, but mostly she was right. It was the first time he saw her play the piano and he was just amazed with her. He can’t believe it, but he was witnessing it right before his very eyes.

He called Yunho, who was in the bedroom at that time, and asked Yeh-Eun to play the song again. As Yunho came and stood behind them she started playing again, and she was better than the first time, too. He can’t believe his eyes and ears as he listened to her play the piano. He too was amazed that she could play the piano. His mother was in the kitchen came to the living room holding a tray of food, his father was in the terrace just happened to come inside at that moment and looked at their direction, and they both listened to her. They came closer and watched her fingers on the keys. Yeh-Eun’s grandmother was crying as she watched her and her grandfather was choked up inside as he watched her.

Jaejoong hugged her and praised her for being able to play the piano. Yunho took her from him, and then hugged her, praised her, and kissed her, too. Her grandparents waited their turn to hug and kiss her, too.

They were all happy and proud to see she had a gift that was amazing.

Yunho thought, if only BoA and Donghae were alive, they would had been so proud, too of their little Yeh- Eun. Their little Yeh-Eun, may had lost her parents, but there are people who cared for her and will look after her.

The dim world is not so dim after all. Tomorrow looks a little brighter. Their sadness is a tiniest bit lighter. Hope is not lost. Hope is alive for their little girl.