Ba-thump, ba-thump!

Second Chance

Chapter 7

 

 

“Hey, Jessica.” Taeyeon jogged faster and caught up with the brunette. “So, um, are we good…?”

 

 

Jessica steadied her pace and turned to face Taeyeon, surprised by her odd inquiry. “We are.”

 

 

“Oh, ok. That’s good.” Taeyeon smiled in relief.

 

 

“Wait, what made you think weren’t?”

 

 

She thought for sure they’ve settled everything two nights ago. She even took the effort to thank her and let her know that she was willing to tell her about her past. Doesn’t that already insinuate that they are in good terms? So why in the world would she think they weren’t alright?

 

 

Jessica pouted unconsciously.

 

 

Omo. Taeyeon saw the pout and she couldn’t help but gawk at her. She never imagined that the brunette could look so…so adorable pouting! All this time whenever she’s upset, she either gave her an icy glare that can freeze her whole being in to an ice or a deadly glare that could literally stop her heart from beating. This was a totally new sight for her and definitely more preferable. She’d rather see that cute pout when she’s mad than the numerous variations of her evil glare.

 

 

When Taeyeon realized she hadn’t replied at all, she mentally slapped herself and looked away. “Oh, um, y-you were really quiet this morning, and the past few days, s-so I thought you might still be m-mad at me.” Taeyeon explained sheepishly.

 

 

“Oh.”

 

 

Now that she thought about it, she was pretty quiet during breakfast. But it wasn’t because she was still upset with her, but because she felt exhausted. Taemin’s frightening and unexpected outburst the other day has been keeping her up all night these past couple of days. She kept thinking about all of the “what if’s;” what if Taeyeon didn’t come between them, what if she got hit, what if Taemin goes after her again and Taeyeon’s not by her side, what if, what if? It’s so frustrating to think like that, but it’s inevitable for her. Taemin attends this school, and if he wants he could attack her anytime. And maybe that’s what terrifies her the most; the uncertainty. Right now she’s just a sitting duck, exposed and vulnerable.

 

 

“Jessica, are you alright?”

 

 

She looked up to see Taeyeon’s worried face. She hadn’t realized that she had stopped jogging and got lost in her own thoughts.

 

 

She opened to reply but before she could, Mr. Park, the gym teacher, blew his whistle alerting the two of them.

 

 

“Hey you two! Keep running! You still have one more lap to go!” He yelled over at them from across the field.

 

 

“Let’s go.” Taeyeon gently nudged her on the elbow urging her to run.

 

 

Jessica nodded and the two of them were off to finish the last lap.

 

 

------

 

 

“Alright kids, now you could either choose to do volleyball over at the court, or soccer out in the field. Arrange yourselves in to teams. If you can’t come up with a team, come find me and I’ll arrange it for you. Now disperse.”

 

 

“Let’s see which one Yoona will choose.” Taeyeon whispered in to the brunette’s ear. Jessica nodded.

 

 

Yoona was standing next to her group of friends from class, including a new girl they haven’t met before. The girl was really tall and has silky, long black hair. She also has a baby face, but despite that, she looked incredibly pretty.

 

 

Taeyeon and Jessica watched as the five friends talked among themselves. They’re probably deciding on which activity to do, Taeyeon thought. After their little talk, the three girls, CL, Eunjung and Hyuna went over to the basketball court while Yoona and the other girl walked over to Mr. Park.

 

 

Taeyeon looked on curiously as they talked. The chat wasn’t long, but it looked pretty serious. In the end, Mr. Park let out a deep sigh and nodded reluctantly at Yoona and the tall girl. The duo walked off to the exit towards the track and field.

 

 

“What was that all about?”

 

 

“Let’s go find out.” Jessica grabbed her by the elbow and pulled her over to Mr. Park.

 

 

“What’s wrong girls?” Mr. Park asked without looking up from whatever he was writing on his clipboard.

 

 

“Erm, we were wondering if we could do the same activity as Yoona and that other girl.” Jessica said.

 

 

Mr. Park finally looked up from his clipboard and stared at Jessica. He shifted his gaze from her to Taeyeon. “Don’t tell me you guys are ‘sick’ too?”

 

 

Jessica and Taeyeon gave each other an inquisitive glance.

 

 

Sick? Yoona’s sick?  Taeyeon thought curiously.

 

 

“Yes we are.” Jessica quickly answered.

 

 

Mr. Park narrowed his eyes at the brunette. He gave her a look that said he didn’t believe her, but Jessica remained unfazed and kept her bored, expressionless look. Her neutral look, however, doesn’t seem to be fooling Mr. Park though.

 

 

She quickly thought of something that will lessen his suspicions. “I have asthma, sir.” She suddenly stated. That definitely caught the teacher’s attention, and so did Taeyeon’s.

 

 

“You have asthma?”

 

 

“Yes, sir, I do. You can ask Principal Ok if you don’t believe me. My parents had already informed him of my condition.” She further explained.

 

 

Taeyeon looked at the brunette with amazement. She couldn’t believe she just lied to a teacher with a straight face. Her tone and her expression looked so believable. If she wasn’t in on this plan, she would have gotten fooled by Jessica big time. She’s got to give props to the girl, she’s a remarkable actress.

 

 

Sigh. Alright, fine. You can go to the track and field too. Wait, Taeyeon, do you have asthma too?”

 

 

“Uhh, yes, I do.” *cough, cough*

 

 

Jessica rolled her eyes at the short girl’s poor acting skills. It’s a good thing Mr. Park was a bit a slow when it comes to these things.

 

 

“Fine. I’ll let you two go, but if I catch you lazing around, you two are back inside. Got it?”

 

 

Taeyeon and Jessica nodded simultaneously. The two walked off towards the field side by side.

 

 

“Wow, I didn’t know you were such a great actress Jessica! I almost believed you actually have asthma!” Taeyeon patted her proudly on the shoulder.

 

 

“I wasn’t acting.”

 

 

“Eh…?” Taeyeon stopped on his tracks causing Jessica to stop as well. “You mean…you really do have asthma?”

 

 

Jessica nodded nonchalantly.

 

 

“Really?”

 

 

“Yeah.” She looked at Taeyeon and was startled to see her surprised expression. “What’s up with the face? Why do you look so surprise?” Jessica cocked a brow. “You don’t believe me do you?”

 

 

“Huh? Wha- of course I believe you! It’s just that…I-I- never mind.” Taeyeon said defeated.

 

 

“Whatever.”

 

 

Jessica didn’t believe that it was just ‘nothing.’ She was certain that the girl had something in her mind, but was just too scared to say it in front of her. Well, it’s not like she cares anyway. If she doesn’t want to tell her, then she’s fine with that.

 

 

It wasn’t that she didn’t believe Jessica. Of course she believes her. She was just surprise about the new information she learned from her. She was glad that Jessica was actually making an effort to open up to her. Knowing just this little bit of detail about her made her feel a lot closer to her. It’s like she’s slowly breaking the wall that Jessica had built around herself and she’s finally getting a glimpse of the real her.

 

 

“Yah, stop spacing out and let’s go catch up to them.”

 

 

“Uh, right.”

 

 

They jogged their way over to the duo that was power walking a couple of feet ahead of them. After a few more strides, they finally caught up with them.

 

 

“Hi Yoona!” Taeyeon greeted cheerfully.

 

 

Yoona turned around and immediately frowned when she saw who it was. Both of them halted and greeted the two girls.

 

 

“Hi.” Yoona replied dryly.

 

 

“Hello.” The baby faced girl greeted politely. “Do you know who they are?” She whispered quietly to Yoona.

 

 

She nodded her head. “Yes, unfortunately.” She mumbled. “Anyway, they’re from my class. Seohyun, this is Taeyeon,” She said pointing towards the short blonde girl, “and this is Jessica.” She pointed to the slightly taller brunette. “And Taeyeon, Jessica, this is my best friend Seohyun.”

 

 

“Nice to meet you!” Taeyeon greeted excitedly.

 

 

“Nice to meet you too unnies!” Seohyun replied.

 

 

“Omo! Unnies? So you’re younger than us?”

 

 

“Yes, she is. She’s a junior.” Yoona replied.

 

 

“Ah. That’s cool!”

 

 

Seohyun giggled. “So, what brings you unnies out here?” She asked as the four of them began power walking.

 

 

“Oh, we have asthma so we can’t really play any sports that requires running.”

 

 

“But volleyball doesn’t require any running.” Yoona pointed out.

 

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened. Oh crap! I didn’t think about that! What do I say now? “Oh- uh…uh…erm…because we…oof!

 

 

Jessica had elbowed Taeyeon on the stomach, stopping her from stuttering any further before she puts them in an even more compromising situation than they’re already in. Taeyeon kept mum and just clutched her stomach not daring to look at the brunette.  She knew if she does, the brunette will just shoot her another deathly glare.

 

 

Aish! Stupid Taeyeon! Now I have to save our a**es. Tsk, tsk.

 

 

“Erm, well you see, volleyball requires a lot of work and effort. We…have to hit the ball hard and we might even have to dive for it. Our frail body can’t handle that much work. If we exert that much work, there’s a high possibility of us getting an asthma attack.” Jessica explained.

 

 

“Ahh. I see.” Seohyun nodded in understanding.

 

 

“Right, what she said.” Taeyeon nodded along. “So, what about you guys?”

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

“Are your health not well either? Is that why you’re also skipping the sports?”

 

 

“Erm, I’m actually in perfect health.” Seohyun said shyly.

 

 

“Eh? Then why are you guys out here?”

 

 

“Uh...we…” Seohyun looked like she was unsure whether she should say something or not. She turned to Yoona as if asking for permission to speak. Yoona looked at her and gave her a stern look. She understood what that meant and didn’t question it any further.

 

 

“Actually, I lied a while ago. I am sick after all. I have…uh…um…asthma…too?” Seohyun bit her lower lip and looked down. Well, that was an epic fail. She thought sadly.

 

 

Taeyeon and Jessica gave each other a knowing look. They both knew the girl was lying, probably because she doesn’t want to disclose the real reason why they rather be jogging out in the tracks alone than playing sports with the rest of the class.

 

 

Yoona mentally face palmed herself. Seohyun can’t lie to save her life. She’s too much of a goody-goody to come up with a believable lie. Even though Seohyun’s attempt to lie was a failure, she did appreciate her effort. Now I need to get out of this awkward situation. She looked ahead and saw the water fountain.

 

 

“Hey guys, I’ll go ahead. I’m thirsty.”

 

 

“Wait, Yoong—”

 

 

Before Seohyun could protest, Yoona had jogged ahead.

 

 

Sigh. I’m such a bad liar.” She mumbled to herself.       

 

 

“It’s ok, Seohyun-ah.” Jessica said patting the girl reassuringly on the back.

 

 

“Thank you, Jessica unnie.”

 

 

“So, if you’re not sick, then that means Yoona is sick, right?”

 

 

Seohyun nodded.

 

 

“You really can’t tell us what her sickness is?”

 

 

“Well, she’s not exactly sick. And no, I’m sorry, Jessica unnie, but I can’t tell you about her condition. It’s not polite to gossip about other people, especially without their permission.”

 

 

“I see. It’s alright.”

 

 

Taeyeon and Jessica glanced at each other again and began their ‘eye conversation.’

 

 

“There is definitely something wrong with Yoona.” Taeyeon started.

 

 

“Yup. Unfortunately Seohyun won’t tell us a thing.”

 

 

“Maybe we should kidnap her and interrogate her.” Taeyeon suggested.

 

 

Jessica slowed her pace and jogged slightly behind Taeyeon. Taeyeon noticed and slowed down as well. Before she knew it, Jessica had smacked her square behind the head.

 

 

“Owww! What the hell!?”

 

 

“That’s for being an idiot!”

 

 

“Ok, fine. Scratch that plan then. Do you have any ideas?”

 

 

“Hmm…”

 

 

“Ooh! Wait! I have another idea!!!”

 

 

“What?” Jessica eyed the blonde dubiously.

 

 

“Instead of kidnapping Seohyun, why don’t we just kidnap Yoona herself! That way we wouldn’t have to involve an innocent person! Isn’t that a wonderful idea?!” Taeyeon smiled proudly at herself.

 

 

Jessica once again slowed her pace and gave Taeyeon another smack at the back of the head.

 

 

“Owwww!!! What now!?”

 

 

“Can’t you just drop the kidnapping plan? If we do that we’ll go to jail! So stop it! We are not going to kidnap anyone!”

 

 

Taeyeon pouted. “Hmmph! Well do you have any better idea?!”

 

 

“As a matter of fact, I do! Come on, let’s finish this up so we can proceed with the plan!”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

 

------

 

 

“What are we doing in front of the principal’s office?” Taeyeon was puzzled. Jessica said she had a plan earlier. After gym class the brunette just dragged her here.

 

 

“Oh just shut up and let’s go in.”

 

 

“Fine.” Taeyeon pouted.

 

 

Jessica and Taeyeon walked in to the office and were greeted by the secretary.

 

 

“Hi.” Jessica greeted politely.

 

 

“Hello. How may I help you today young ladies?”

 

 

“Would it be possible to see the principal right now?”

 

 

“Right now? What’s your name young lady?”

 

 

“I’m Jes-I mean Jung Sooyeon.” She didn’t want to reveal her Korean name, but Taecyeon made it a condition for her to use her Korean name if she ever wants to meet up with him in his office.

 

 

Taeyeon stared at the brunette with another surprised expression etched on her face. Jessica ignored it and kept her face straight.

 

 

“Alright then. Let me just see if he’s not busy.”

 

 

Jessica and Taeyeon both nodded and watched as the secretary disappeared behind the door of the principal’s office.

 

 

“Your Korean name is Sooyeon?” Taeyeon asked curiously.

 

 

“Yes. What of it?” Jessica asked coldly.

 

 

“I never knew that.”

 

 

“Why would you know that anyway? It’s not like we knew each other before.”

 

 

“Yeah, you’re right. I think you should use your Korean name more.” Taeyeon suggested.

 

 

“Why should I use it more? I like my English name better.”

 

 

“Really? But I like your Korean name more. It’s very pretty.” Taeyeon glanced at Jessica and smiled.

 

 

Jessica’s cheeks flushed pink at the compliment. “S-shut up.” She looked way and hid her blushing cheeks.

 

 

“But it’s true.” Taeyeon persisted. She really wasn’t sure why Jessica hates her Korean name so much. To her it was beautiful. Plus it’s a lot easier to pronounce. “Hey, Jessica. Can I start calling you Sooyeon?”

 

 

“W-what? No! And since when did you start calling me ‘Jessica?’ I thought we agreed on Jessica-sshi?”

 

 

“Oh, I really don’t know when I started calling you Jessica. But forget about that. Can I please call you Sooyeon instead. Your English name is really difficult for me to pronounce. Please. Pretty please. With cherry on top.” Taeyeon showed her, her puppy dog face.

 

 

Jessica’s mouth opened agape. She marveled the girl’s astonishingly cute face. Never in her life had she seen such an adorable sight. She’s positive not even Tiffany, the eye-smiling queen, could come up with such a face. Not only was this the first time she’d seen such a cute face, this was the first time she’d ever seen Taeyeon doing aegyo.

 

 

Her eyes unconsciously traveled down to Taeyeon’s pouting lips. She blinked and stared at it for a couple of seconds.

 

 

*Ba-thump, ba-thump!*

 

 

She quickly shifted her gaze up as soon as she felt her face going red again. She really hoped Taeyeon didn’t notice anything. It’d be so embarrassing if she did, plus she’ll probably rub it on her face.  

 

 

Gaaahh!! Why is she making me feel this way?! Kim Taeyeon, why are you so weird!?

 

 

And she was right. The girl was too preoccupied with making the best puppy dog face for her to even catch such a small act.

 

 

“Please, Jesshika.” Taeyeon said in her cute Korean accent.

 

 

Jessica gulped. “F-fine! Just stop bothering me!”

 

 

“Yaay!” Taeyeon did a victory dance.

 

 

Her dance was cut short when the door to the principal’s office opened. “Ms. Jung, you may come in now.” She glanced at Taeyeon. “Will you be coming in too?”

 

 

“Uh, no mam. I’ll just wait for her here.”

 

 

Jessica quickly ran to the office. She closed the door behind her and let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding.

 

 

“What’s up with you?”

 

 

Jessica looked up and shook her head fervently. “N-nothing.”

 

 

“Ok, then. So what brings you here? Are you done with whatever you needed to do?”

 

 

“I actually have something to ask you.”

 

 

Taecyeon raised a brow. “Ok, shoot.”

 

 

“Do you know if Yoona has any illness of some sort?”

 

 

“Im Yoona?”

 

 

“Yeah, Im Yoona.”

 

 

“Jessica, you know I can’t tell you anything. I’m the principal of this school. My duty is to the students; therefore everything about her is confidential. You should know this.”

 

 

“Aww, come on. We’re friends. It’s not like I’m going to use it for evil. Please Taec.”

 

 

“No.”

 

 

“Pretty please! With cherry on top.” Jessica tried to imitate the same puppy dog face Taeyeon did outside, but failed miserably.

 

 

“The answer is still no, Jessica. I’m sorry.”

 

 

Jessica pouted. “Fine. I’ll find out myself.” She stomped towards the door and placed her hand on the handle. Before she opened it, she took one last glance at Taecyeon and flashed him an icy glare.

 

 

Taecyeon immediately froze on the spot.

 

 

With that, she proceeded out the room. When she exited the room, she didn’t even bother to thank the secretary nor look at Taeyeon, but continued out of the room instead.

 

 

When Jessica blatantly ignored her, Taeyeon followed her out. “Sooyeon-ah, what happened?”

 

 

Jessica stopped on her tracks upon hearing her Korean name come out of Taeyeon’s mouth.

 

 

*Ba-thump, ba-thump!*

 

 

Her cheeks flushed again.  Why does she keep making me feel this way?! She began slapping her cheeks repeatedly with both hands to rid of the blush.

 

 

Taeyeon just watched helplessly as the brunette slapped the living daylights out of her cheeks.

 

 

“Help! Somebody help!”

 

 

Jessica and Taeyeon both turned to the source of the voice. At the end of the hallway, they saw Seohyun running towards them.

 

 

“Taeyeon unnie! Jessica unnie!” The girl cried hysterically.

 

 

Jessica caught the panting girl her in her arms and held her steadily. “What’s wrong Seohyun-ah? Did something happen?”

 

 

“Please help me! Yoona—she’s in trouble! Please help her!”

 

 

Taeyeon and Jessica glanced at each other alarmingly.

 

 

“Come on, take us to where she is.” Jessica said pulling the younger girl up on her feet.

 

 

Seohyun led them down the block, in to a deserted parking lot. Upon arrival, they saw Yoona her back on the concrete floor with five boys surrounding her, their backs facing them. From the uniforms, Taeyeon deduced that they were also Dookong High students.

 

 

“Yah! Get away from her!” Taeyeon bellowed.

 

 

The five guys turned to face her, including Yoona, who lay helplessly on the ground. Taeyeon's eyes widened when she recognized one of them. Jessica’s heart literally dropped when she saw who it was.

 

 

Taemin. Jessica and Taeyeon thought at the same time.

 

 

“Well, well, well. Look who decided to join the fun.” Taemin said mockingly. “It’s nice to see you again Jessica noona.”

 

 

Jessica flinched at his tone.

 

 

Taeyeon glanced at her and noticed her uncomfortable disposition. She quickly stepped in front of Jessica and hid her behind her. The brunette desperately clutched on to her shirt. She was trembling again, Taeyeon noticed.

 

 

Taemin snickered at the silly sight before him. “What? Don’t tell me you’re still playing her knight in shining armor?” He started laughing.

 

 

The other four boys laughed along.

 

 

“Let her go.” Taeyeon demanded.

 

 

The boys stopped laughing.

 

 

“Hmm…let me think about it. How about, NO!” He turned to his posse and smirked. “Shall we have some fun?”

 

 

They all nodded in agreement. The five of them began advancing forward causing the trio to back away in response.

 

 

“T-taeyeon, what are we going to do?”

 

 

Taeyeon took hold of Jessica’s hand that was clutching her shirt and looked over her shoulder meeting Jessica’s worried gaze. She smiled. “Don’t worry Sooyeon-ah, I’ll protect you no matter what.”

 

 

*Ba-thump, ba-thump!*

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N: Hey guys, sorry for not updating last week >.< Anyway, I hoped you liked this one! Seems like Jessica is starting to feel something for Taeyeon hehe :P Yaay! Predictions anyone? Lol.

 

Tell me what you think of the chapter! Comment, comment! Thank you for reading and thank you to all the new readers and subscribers!