The beginning

Second Chance

Chapter 1


Feet shuffles across the white tiled floor as individuals wearing white clothing hurriedly wheels in a semi-unconscious man in to the building. A brunette in a white coat immediately rushes to his side. She winces at the sight of the huge gash across the man’s chest. She quickly starts wrapping the black band of the Sphygmomanometer around the man’s arm. She then pulls the stethoscope off around her neck and puts on its earpieces. She tucks the diaphragm underneath the band before squeezing a rubber material tightly with her hand.


The brunette listened attentively to the unregulated beating that resonated through the earpieces. She curses almost immediately after she unwraps the band from the man’s arm. “S*** low BP.”


The two nurses pushing the stretcher look up at the brunette waiting for instructions.


“Wheel him in to the surgery room and prep him. I'll be there in a bit.” The brunette instructed.


Without hesitation, the two nurses do as they were told and they disappear behind the swinging metallic doors. The brunette was about to follow behind when suddenly a hand grabs a hold of her wrist pulling her back. The girl looks behind her and sends a piercing glare at individual who dared to touch her.


“What do you need? Can’t you see I’m busy? I’ve got people to save for crying out loud!” The brunette spat angrily. Her brows were knit tight and her nose was flaring from all of the rage. One could totally imagine steam coming out from the girl’s ears.


Taken aback by the sudden reaction, the doe eyed girl, who was also wearing a white coat, holds up her hands defensively. “Sheesh, calm down Jessica unnie. I’m just here to relay a message.”


Jessica inhales then exhales before crossing her arms trying to contain her anger. She releases a heavy sigh. “Fine. What is it?”


“Heechul wants to see you in his office immediately.” The girl explains.


The older girl raises an eyebrow.


“When I said immediately, I mean now. N.O.W.” The girl added. “He said he needs to discuss something very important with you.”


“But what about the pat—”


“He already sent someone else to take care of that.”


Jessica frowns. She’s completely pissed right now. This wasn’t the first time Heechul had wanted to ‘talk’ to her. Seriously he keeps trying but it’ll never happen. She’ll never agree to it.


The younger girl eyed the brunette carefully. She could tell her unnie is fuming inside. She cautiously takes a tiny step back. She’s glad the older girl didn’t notice anything. But she frowns at the still contemplating girl. To be honest, she doesn’t even know why Heechul still tries. Clearly the girl is stubborn and she’ll never listen to anything he says. She cares deeply for her colleague but at this point she thinks he should just give up. There’s no point in trying anymore when the girl is as stubborn as a rock.


Jessica sighs in defeat. “Fine. I’ll go.”


The younger girl smiles and begins to walk away. Before she could take her second step, the brunette calls her back. “Hara!”


Hara turns around and faces her.


“Can you…can you check on my patient? I don’t want him dying on my name. He’s supposed to be my responsibility after all...”


The girl lets out a soft laugh. “Got it unnie!”


Jessica smiles before heading to Heechul’s office.


-----------------


“Hi! I’m Sunny!” A girl with blonde hair introduced herself. She was bubbly and full of aegyo. Taeyeon usually doesn’t tolerate aegyo, but for some reason it seems to suit the other girl quite well.


“Hi, I’m Kim Taeyeon.” She said shaking the girl’s outstretched hand.


The bubbly girl smiles widely and flies over to the other girl behind her who is busy chewing a chicken leg. “And this tall shikshin right here is Sooyoung!”


The girl looks up and nods her head. “Washuup.” She mumbles, which Taeyeon assume she meant to come out as ‘what’s up.’


“Ok, so basically, all I have to do is successfully complete the three tasks from the first condition in two months time and I can become human again right?”


Sunny nods her head. “Yup! That’s it!”


Taeyeon smiles even wider. She can’t believe she’s actually getting a second chance to live! She isn’t quite sure what happened to her in the past or who she was in the past; all she remembers is that one day she just woke up in an empty white room with a man in all white staring down at her with a wide grin on his face. When she found out that she was a spirit, she figured she must have died at some point in her life. But that’s all in the past. All she’s concerned now is completing the task and become human again!


“Hey! Don’t be too giddy!” Sooyoung cuts in.


The smile on Taeyeon’s face disappears as she turns her attention to Sooyoung.


“Don’t forget about the second condition. If you break it, you know what the consequence will be.” The shikshin added as she points the half eaten chicken at the spirit.


Taeyeon nods her head. Right, she almost forgot about the second condition, a very important condition at that. She definitely will not break it no matter what. She’s determined not to mess up her only chance in living again.


“It seems simple enough.” Taeyeon states.


Sooyoung scoffs while Sunny giggles.


Taeyeon looks at them curiously. “…what?”


“You think it’s easy.” Sunny states.


Taeyeon raises an eyebrow. “But it is…right?”


“Riiight.” Sooyoung says sarcastically. “You’ll see how easy it really is when you get there.”


Huh? What’s that suppose to mean? So it’s not going to be easy? Taeyeon frowns.


Sunny notices her grim expression and she gently puts an arm on her shoulders. “Don’t worry about it. We’ll be there to help you.” She said reassuringly.


“Really?”


“Nope.” The shikshin quickly answers, earning a slap on the arm from the aegyo queen.


“Yah! Stop being negative!”


“What? It’s true! We’re not going to babysit her the whole time! We’ll just pop from time to time when she really needs help. Other than that, she’s on her own!” Sooyoung retorts.


The two starts bickering. Taeyeon just watches them from the side, not wanting to get tangled in their fight.


As they continue fighting, she lets out a sigh. Somehow she’s getting the feeling that she won’t get much help from the two bickering angels. If they’re not any help now, how are they going to be any help in the future?


I guess I’m going to have to really step up if I want to successfully complete the tasks.


-----------------


A young looking man sits calmly on his black leather executive chair, silently signing and filling out various documents that sprawled messily on his executive desk. Three swift knocks on the door brought him into a stop.


“Come in!” He calls out.


The door slowly opens revealing a young brunette.


“You wanted to see me Heechul?” She asks, closing the door behind her.


The man smiles. “Yes I did. Have a seat Jessica.”


The girl sighs and makes her way towards the leather arm chair situated just a few feet from Heechul’s desk. She crosses her legs and her arms in a defensive pose.


Heechul takes notice of this. It’s the pose she had use time and time again every time he invites her for a ‘chat.’ He knows it’s going to take a while until he can fully get his points across to the girl. Actually, he might not even get anything across just like his previous attempts. She’s way too stubborn for her sake. He smirks silently to himself. But this time around, he won’t give her a choice but to heed to his commands.


He sits up and places his arms on the arm rests. “Jessica, you’ve been working for this hospital for the past three and a half years,” He started.


The girl rolls her eyes. Here we go again.


“You’ve been a very good employee to me and you’ve been a great asset to this hospital. You’re always obeying my orders and sometimes even taking over times,”


Jessica scoffs. “Sometimes? You know that’s an understatement.” This hospital has practically been my home for the past year!


Heechul disregards Jessica’s comment and continues. “And I think you’re way too good for this hospital. I recommend that you transfer to Seoul National University Hospital. My friend has recently informed me about his need for new doctors at the Yeon-gun branch. The pay is great and—”


“No.” Jessica says flatly. It’s the same answer she’s given Heechul every time he attempts to talk her out in to transferring to other hospitals. She’s just not interested. He should know by now that she’ll never agree to this!


She waits silently for him to explode and give her a lecture on how she’s destroying her life by staying at this hospital. She could really imagine him flailing his arms as he yells at her for wasting her talent and not expanding her knowledge and her experience at a more prestigious hospital.


Then he’ll go on about how she should see a psychiatrist because she’s supposedly ‘depressed.’ He’ll go on about how she should move on and forget the past. And for her to do that, she needs a change in environment. And blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…No offense to her friend but to be honest she thinks everything Heechul says is full of c***. She’s not depressed. Nor is she in need of psychiatric help. Sure she’s having a difficult time moving on, but she’s definitely not depressed. That at least she knows.


She sits there awaiting Heechul’s explosion. He opens his mouth, but to her surprise, instead of yelling she hears him sigh.


“Ok. Fine.”


Her eyes open wide at his sudden submission. Wait, what!? That’s it?! He won’t even try to lecture me!?


She uncrosses her arms and stares at Heechul with disbelief. “Wh-at do you mean, fine? Does that mean you won’t force me to tr-ansfer anymore?” She asks hopefully.


He smiles. “Yup. I won’t force you anymore,” He said simply.


Jessica’s lips slowly curl up. Yes! I win!


“I won’t force you to transfer anymore…in one condition.”


Her smile falls off her face. What? “One condition?”


“Yup. I won’t force you to transfer anymore, but instead I want you to go on a two month vacation.”


“WHAT!?” The girl jumps up from her seat and stares at Heechul incredulously. She can’t believe what he just said! This is preposterous! What nonsense is he talking about now!? “I’m not going on a two month vacation Heechul!” Jessica fumed angrily.


The young man smirks. “Oh, but you will Jessica. Because if you don’t go on a two month vacation, then I will force you to transfer. And this time, I’m not joking.” The smirk from Heechul’s face disappears and is replaced by a grim expression. His lips form a tight line and his eyes become unnerving.


“You—you’re not serious? Are you?” Jessica asks hopefully. Surely he’s just fooling around. There’s no way he would send her there, at least not his best friend…right? “…Heechul?”


He held his stance. This time he’s not going to yield to his best friend’s pleads. He needs to get his points across to the stubborn girl no matter what. If being harsh is the only way to accomplish that, then he’ll do it.


He folds his arms and looks at the girl straight in the eyes. “I’m serious Jessica. What you’re doing is not healthy. All you do is work and work. Do you even sleep anymore? Every time I see you, you’re either stitching somebody up or you’re running around doing rounds and rounds of clinical work for other employees.”


Jessica lowers her gaze in guilt.


“And yes, I know about you taking other people’s work. I’m not stupid. There’s no way I assigned you that much clinical work.”


Jessica sank even more.


Seeing her guilty stance, he decides to soften his tone. “Jessica.” The girl lifts her head a little bit. “Look, I’m not trying to attack you. You know my intentions are for your own well being. I just want you to live a healthy life again. I want to see the Jessica who smiles, the girl who goes shopping with her friends every weekend, the girl who begs me not to give her piles and piles of clinical work. I want that girl back. I don’t want a zombie-Sica hiding in my hospital anymore.”


Jessica quickly tears her eyes away from Heechul’s concerned ones. She knows he only meant well. And she knows she’s been overdoing it a bit too. The only reason why she locked herself up in this hospital for the past year is to make sure she doesn’t get any time to think to herself. She knows if she’s given even just a second of thinking, she’ll think of him. And when she thinks of him, her chest will start to constrict and pain will consume her once again. The floodgates will resume to flow like there’s no tomorrow and she’ll be forced to crawl back in to the darkness. It was a pathetic period of time for her. She swore she will never return to that vulnerable state ever again. Been there, done that and that’s it. No more of it.


Seeing her defeated state, he couldn’t help but feel for his friend. He knows how much she’s been through. It was a tough time. He doesn’t want her to go back to that state, but he also knows that the state she is in now isn’t any healthier either. If this continues, he knows sooner or later it will lead to depression.


He reaches across his desk and takes his friend’s hand in his bringing her back from her thoughts. “Jessica. Please do this. If not for me, but at least do it for yourself. I just want to see you happy again.”


Jessica lowers her gaze once again. “I’m s-sorry.” She chokes out. A lone tear slips its way past her eye lid.


Heechul quickly walks around his desk, enveloping Jessica in to a comforting embrace. “Shhh. It’s alright.” He coos. Jessica begins to sob. He gently rubs circles on her back as she sank deeper and deeper in to his warm embrace.


-----------------


“Are you ready?”


Taeyeon nods her head. Before Sooyoung could do anything, Sunny’s obnoxious voice stops her.


“Wait!” Sunny hurriedly flies over to Taeyeon’s side and takes out a silver pendant out from her pocket. Taeyeon eyes it curiously. The angel steps forward and puts it around Taeyeon’s neck. The spirit admires the silver teardrop shaped pendant between her fingers.


“What is this?” She asks the short haired angel.


“This is The Rising Gods of the East’s crystallized tear.” Sunny explains.


“T-the Dong Bang Shin Ki’s crystallized t-tear?” Taeyeon asks in disbelief.


“Yup! It will allow you to materialize in to a real human being so you can interact with other humans. When you arrive to Earth, the only humans who will be able to see you are the three people you were assigned with. Unfortunately, even though they can see you they won't be able to touch you, just like the rest of the human race. But this right here," She points at the pendant, "will give you the ability to touch them. The other humans will also be able to see and touch you. So basically you'll become a 'temporary' human with this pendant."


Taeyeon gawks at the cool silver between her fingers. She can’t believe her luck! This is the first time she’d ever heard of such a thing. She never knew that the all superior Gods would actually bestow her with such a precious gift. This is unheard of from where she came from! The people below will surely envy her if they heard about this!


“Wow! This is such an honor!”


Sunny giggles. “It sure is! So take good care of that!”


Taeyeon nods her head enthusiastically.


“So, is everything settled? Can we send her to Earth now?” Sooyoung cuts in.


“Yup! Let’s do it!”


The two angels summons a portal with their bare hands.


“Whenever you’re ready, Taeyeon.”


Taeyeon slowly steps forward to the portal. She closes her eyes and chants a short prayer in her head. After she’s done, she opens her eyes and takes a deep breath before finally jumping in to the dark unknown.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Well, there you go! That's the first chapter! Tell me what you think! :)