Taeyeon the friendly spirit

Second Chance

Chapter 3



And before they knew it their lips had met. 


Neither one of them pulled away; instead they slowly and gently moved each other’s lips in sync with the other.


It was weird. Jessica didn’t know why she leaned in. She was never the type to initiate anything, not even a conversation with a friend! But for some reason, this stranger, this woman, seduced her without any effort whatsoever. Just one gaze and she was hypnotized. How the short girl managed to do that to The Jessica Jung was a big mystery to her. But in all honesty, she could really careless right now. All she knows is she’s enjoying the kiss very much.


Taeyeon doesn’t know why the other had kissed her as well. One minute she was beating the crap out of her with random objects and the next she’s kissing her like it was nothing! What an odd woman! But she isn’t complaining though. In fact she likes the kiss very much. Might as well take advantage of it.


Taeyeon took the brunette's lower lip back into , savoring the strawberry flavor that lingered on the brunette's lip.Mmm...strawbe--


Ooof! 


Suddenly, she feels a stinging pain course through her abdominal area. She quickly pulled away from the kiss and her face contorted in pain. She doubled over and clutched her stomach. She glanced up to question the other girl but was taken aback when she met the brunette's icy glare.


“Jessica-sshi did you—did you just kneed me…?” Taeyeon squeaked. The pain in her stomach was unvearable. It felt like a professional football player just kicked a soccer ball straight to her stomach. She felt her eyes tear up a little bit.


“AAAAAAHHHHH!!! Byuntae!!! Get away from me you !” Jessica screamed. For some reason during the kiss she suddenly remembered the midget from her dreams. Then her mind began racing; it was like a gear inside her head that has been immobile for such a long time suddenly decided to start functioning again. Everything fell in to place. She is definitely that midget from my dreams! Realizing this fact, her instincts kicked in instantaneously, thus kneeing the blonde in the process.


Taeyeon winced at the piercing scream. She quickly covered both ears with her hands. Oh my gosh! I think I’ve gone deaf!


“Jessica-sshi, please calm down!” Taeyeon pleaded. However, her efforts were ignored as the brunette continued to release her deafening sonic wave of a scream. Taeyeon started to panic. At this rate the neighbors will wake up and they’ll start banging on the door.


She quickly rushed over to the brunette and placed a hand over , silencing the girl instantly. The brunette started struggling in her clutch so she pressed her hard against the wall to keep her still. It was an awkward position. If someone walked in on them right now, she was sure they'll misunderstand the whole situation.


“Jessica-sshi, please stop screaming. I’m not going to hurt you!” She tried pleading again.


Jessica ignored her again and continued to struggle. She kicked and flailed her hands everywhere almost hitting Taeyeon on the face again. If not for her amazing reflexes, she'd be covered up in bruises by now.


“Please! If you promise to stop screaming, I’ll release you!”


This seemed to have caught the struggling girl’s attention as she slowly ceased her movements. Taeyeon thanked God silently. Her clutch was starting to loosen from fatigue.


“Do you promise not to scream?” She asked the girl in her arms.


Jessica doesn’t answer her question, but instead she shoots her a deathly glare.


Taeyeon heaved a frustrated sigh. “The only way I’ll let you go is if you promise me you won’t scream. I swear I’m not here to hurt you. Don’t scream, please?” Taeyeon tried to plead again.


Jessica slowly nodded in agreement.


Taeyeon cautiously retracted her hand from Jessica’s mouth. And just like what Jessica had promised, she didn’t scream.


“Thank you.” Taeyeon smiled.


Jessica took a step back and eyed Taeyeon warily. Even though she promised not to scream, it didn’t mean she wouldn’t. She just complied so she can get to the bottom of this and determine the other girl’s identity and motives. “Wh…who the heck are you?” She queried, her voice trembling a bit.


“I introduced myself to you last night…but I guess you were too intoxicated to remember. No matter, I’ll reintroduce myself to you. Hi! I’m Kim Taeyeon!” Taeyeon flashed a wide smile as she stretched her hand out for a handshake.


Jessica disregarded her hand and preceded her interrogation. “Alright Kim Taeyeon, how do you know my name?”


Taeyeon awkwardly retracted her hand. Her attempt to be friendly has failed miserably. She cleared . “Hmm, I’m not really sure if I’m allowed to tell you about my task. It's very confidential. Hmm...but then again they didn’t say I couldn’t." Taeyeon thought for a moment. "Oh whatever, I’ll just tell you anyway. I don’t know if you’ll believe me, but do know this, everything I will reveal to you right now is the truth and nothing but the truth.”


“…”


Taking Jessica’s silence as a sign to continue, she proceeded to her explanation. “Ok, first and foremost I’d like to let you know that I’m a spirit. You could say I’m like a ghost—”


“Wait, what?” This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard, Jessica thought.


“I’m a spirit Jessica-sshi.”


Jessica scoffed. “A spirit?” This girl is nuts. “If you’re a spirit then how come I can see you?” Jessica sneered.


“Well--”


“And if you are a spirit, how is it possible for me to do this?”


Taeyeon contorted her face in confusion. Before she could react, slender fingers made its way to her face and pinched her cheek, well more like murdered her cheek.

“Oww!” Taeyeon cupped the side of her face with her hand, rubbing it ever so gently to relieve the stinging sensation.


“See you’re not a ghost.” Jessica huffed.


“I am a gho— I mean a spirit! I’m a spirit!


“Same difference.”


Taeyeon ignored her and continued. “Anyway, as I was saying, I’m a spirit. I’ve been sent here from heaven—actually I’m not even sure what it’s called. It could be heaven, or it could be a completely different place. Anyway, a goddess has given me a ‘second chance’ to live again—”


“A goddess?” Jessica arched a brow.


“Yes, a goddess. Now would you please stop interrupting?” Taeyeon asked irritably.


“…”


Taking her silence as a signal to proceed, she continued. “Ok, so in order for that to happen, I was given two conditions; the first condition includes three tasks which I must complete in two months, while the second condition I mustn’t break no matter or I’ll suffer the dire consequence. Ok, so this is where you come in. From those three tasks, one of the tasks I was assigned was you. I’m here to help you move on from your depression! Isn’t that great?!” Taeyeon beamed proudly.


“…”


Jessica’s face had turned completely red. Nope, she’s not embarrassed, but more like fuming. She can’t believe this lying, , erted midget! Does she really think she’s that dense to actually believe her lies!? Does she look like an easy prey?!


*sigh* Could this be another one of Heechul’s pranks again? She wouldn’t be surprised if it was. Heechul had tried everything to get her to move on. He probably paid the midget to act this all out. She clenched her fist and shook her head mentally. Seriously, I’m going to kill that lanky guy when I get back from this pathetic of an excuse he calls vacation!


Taeyeon felt goosebumps rise at the back of her neck. She could sense a weird aura coming from the brunette. And from the red face and the white knuckles, it’s not a good aura at all.


“…Jessica-sshi?”


“You…”Jessica snaps her head up and locks gazes with Taeyeon. “You have five seconds to leave my condo before I completely obliterate you into dusts.” She said threateningly.


Taeyeon swear the temperature in the room had just dropped completely. She gulped. Oh, S***.


“Jessica-shi, please listen to me. I—”


Before she had the chance to finish her sentence Jessica lunged herself at the girl. She grabbed Taeyeon by the collar and dragged her out to the front door. She pulled open the door and pushed Taeyeon on the cold linoleum floor. Taeyeon ended up landing on her bottom.


“Jessica—”


The door slammed shut in front of her face before she could even fully get back up. Taeyeon dejectedly slumped back down on the floor.


As much as I hate to admit it, the two angels were right. This mission is going to be harder than I thought. I can’t really blame Jessica for not believing me. I mean iff some random person suddenly appeared inside my house insisting they’re a ghost, I would get suspicious too. Hmm…and maybe showing up in her condo uninvited wasn’t a bright idea either. I’d freaked out too. Grrrr!!! Stupid Taeyeon! I should try explaining myself again.


She got up and was about to knock on the door, but halts midway. Would explaining do any good? That sure didn’t work the first time around. Jessica will probably throw something at her again if she knocks. She obviously didn’t believe anything she just explained earlier so why would she listen now?


Taeyeon pouted. Maybe I should just come back again when she’s less cranky. Yup, I think that's a good idea.


She was about to leave when suddenly an idea came to mind. Wait a second, if she didn’t believe my words…then maybe she’ll believe me if I showed her! She grinned widely at her brilliant plan.


Taeyeon took her pendant off and tucked it gently inside her pants’ pocket. Ok, here goes nothing.


She raised her left leg and stepped through the door, followed by her right leg and the rest of her body. She walked cautiously towards the living area where she found Jessica sitting with her face buried in her hands.


Taeyeon took note of her slouched posture. She seemed very distressed, she thought. Taeyeon suddenly felt a pang of guilt. She didn’t mean to make her distress. That wasn’t her intention at all. She just wants to help her move on and live life again with hope and not regret.


She felt another wave of guilt when she remembered the other reason why she was so inclined to help the other girl move on; to become human again, she thought bitterlyBut then again it’s not like she was being selfish. If one was to look at this situation from a different angle, it was more like hitting two birds with one stone. Both girls will benefit out of this whole ordeal. I’m not doing this just for my personal gain, other people will benefit too! She shook those negative thoughts away and returned her attention back to the brunette.


“…hey.” Taeyeon called out softly to avoid startling the girl.


Jessica looked up, shock etched on her face, then anger slowly took over. “How did you get in? Did you steal my keys or something?”


Taeyeon shook her head. “I walked through the front door.” She said pointing her thumb over her shoulder.


Jessica scoffed. She’s still sticking to the ghost story?


“For the love of God, can you just drop the act? I have no patience to deal with you right now. I have my own problems to deal with!” She said exasperatedly.


Taeyeon flinched. The other girl looked weary and deflated. She hated to do this to her, or to anyone for that matter, but she really have no other choice. She has to do this.


“Jessica-sshi, I really am a spirit. Please listen to me, I’m telling the truth. Think about it, what would I gain by lying to you?”


Jessica scoffed. Duh! Money from Heechul! She clenched her fists tighter. She really doesn’t want to deal with this right now. Her head is throbbing and this midget is worsening it by pestering her.


Jessica stood up abruptly and hastily walked towards the midget with every intention to shove her. Taeyeon watched curiously at the approaching girl, completely oblivious of her ill-intention. Jessica lifted her arms and flung it towards the other girl. Jessica’s eyes widened in shock when her hands went through Taeyeon’s body.


It was too late when Taeyeon realized what Jessica had planned to do. She just watched in horror as Jessica’s whole body went through her own.


*Thud!*


“Oh my gosh! Jessica-sshi are you alright!?” Taeyeon turned around to help Jessica up, but seeing her hands go through the brunette’s body, she immediately scrambled to take her pendant out from her pocket. Before she could slip it on, Jessica was already up on her feet, limping to the other side of the room.


Taeyeon took a step towards Jessica to attend to her injury but stopped almost immediately when she saw Jessica tense at her sudden movement. She eyed the brunette and noticed her cowering posture and her frightened expression. Then it clicked. She's afraid of me, she thought sadly. “Jessica-sshi…?”


“W-w-what are you?” Jessica asked nervously. Oh she's definitely freaked out by now.


Taeyeon sighed. “I told you, I’m a spirit.” Taeyeon tried to make another move, but the brunette tensed again so she halted mid step. Seeing the frightened state of the brunette, she erased any thoughts of making another abrupt move. I already scared her enough. Maybe it’s better if she came to me instead of me going to her.


“Look, come see for yourself.” Taeyeon motioned. “I promise, I won’t hurt you.” She said earnestly.


Jessica hesitated. She didn’t know if she should trust Taeyeon’s words. Is she really not going to hurt me? So far she’s been completely honest…I guess...sort of. Seeing no abrupt movements from the other girl, she decided she could trust her. At least for now. She walked around the coffee table and walked towards Taeyeon. Once she was standing a few feet away from her, she slowly lifted her forefinger towards the girl’s shoulder and attempted to poke her there. And just like what happened earlier, her finger went straight through Taeyeon’s shoulder. Jessica jolted back in surprise. Her finger really went through!


Is this for real?!


As if reading her thoughts, Taeyeon answered her calmly, “Yes, it’s for real.”


“H-how is that possible?”


“I told you, I’m spirit.”


“But how is this possible? If you’re really a spirit how come I can see you? Do I have a third eye or something? Am I a spirit too?”


“No, you’re not a spirit Jessica. You’re not dead. Like I told you earlier, you are part of my task. To make my mission a bit easier, the goddess decided to give you the ability to see me. Unfortunately, that’s the only ability they gave you. You can’t touch me.”


“Then how was I able to touch you earlier? Remember when I threw the cereal box at you and it hit you on the head. And when I pinched your cheeks, I touched you right?”


Taeyeon nodded. “That’s because I was wearing this.” Taeyeon showed her the pendant tucked in her hand. “When I put this on, I become a temporary human. That’s why you were able to touch me.”


Jessica was silent. Taeyeon decided to proceed to her explanation. "I swear my intention is purely honest. All I want to do is help you move on so that I can complete my task. That's all. I have no other motives. So please, will you let me help you?"

"..."

“Jessica-sshi?”


Jessica’s mind was still conflicted. She’s still not certain whether she could trust the midget. So far everything Taeyeon has told her has been the truth, which is crazy enough as it is, but will everything she do and say in the future remain honest? Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to trust her just a little bit. If she decides to back-stab me later, I could just kill her then. Plus, who knows maybe she’ll actually be able to help me move on. 


Jessica bit her bottom lip hesitantly. “If I let you help me move on…you’ll stop bugging me afterwards right?”


Taeyeon beamed at Jessica’s change of heart. “Of course!” Oh my God! She’ll actually let me help her! Victory dance time!


“Alright then. So how exactly are you going to help me? You do have a plan...right?”


Taeyeon stopped her victory dance. Her mind went blank. All this time she’s been thinking how easy her first task will be but she doesn’t even have a clue on how she’s supposed to help the girl! Crap, I haven’t thought about this at all!


Jessica rolled her eyes. She knew it. This midget has no clue what she’s doing. She’s all talk and no plan at all.


“You don’t have a plan do you?”


“Uhh…” Taeyeon fidgeted on her spot.


*sigh* “You know what? Let’s just forget about this whole ‘task’ thing for now and let’s go get something to eat. I’m really hungry and you already spoiled by breakfast.” Jessica said referring to the cereal bits scattered all over the floor of her dining area.


“Uh…ok.”


“I’m going to freshen up a bit. You stay here and don’t touching anything you hear me?” Jessica said threateningly.


Taeyeon nodded nervously.


-----------------


“So does that mean you’re dead?” Jessica inquired, taking a sip of her hot coffee.


“I think so. I mean, why else would I be a spirit right? I’m pretty sure I’m dead already.” She said nonchalantly. She grabbed a croissant from her plate and began spreading butter over it.


Jessica placed her cup down and watched as Taeyeon took a bite out of her croissant. “You really don’t remember anything about your previous self?”


Taeyeon kept her eyes on her croissant as she shook her head in response. “No. All I remember is everything that happened to me after I woke up from my long slumber. Everything before that has been wiped out from my memory.”


Jessica frowned at the girl who has been so preoccupied with putting butter on the rest of her croissant. “Are you not curious about your past?”


Taeyeon placed the knife and the croissant down on her plate and finally looked up at Jessica. “I am curious. But, I don’t think I’d want to know anyway.”


Jessica arched a brow curiously. "Why?"


Taeyeon shrugged. “I mean, I’m getting a second chance at living again so why would it matter if I know about my past or not? It’s not like I’ll ever use that information again when I get reincarnated. And what if I don’t like the me from the past. For all I know, I could be a gangster or something or maybe even a hobo. Why would I want to know that?”


Jessica nodded slowly. “I guess I understand what you mean.”


“Plus, there might be some things I’ve done that I’ve regretted. I’d rather forget about them. Sometimes there are just some things that are better left forgotten, you know? It’s better to start fresh, with a clean slate. Maybe that’s the reason why the Gods decided to take away my memories in the first place.” She said shrugging again. She grabbed her knife and resumed putting butter on the rest of her croissant.


Unknown to Taeyeon, her words had painfully struck a chord in Jessica’s heart. Jessica gloomily stared at her plate. She knew Taeyeon didn’t mean to offend her but she couldn’t help but feel hurt at her words anyway. Just like what Taeyeon had said, there are things Jessica had regretted that she’d prefer to forget. Unfortunately she’s not like Taeyeon who can just get a ‘second chance’ and start anew, although she wished she was. Life is so unfair.


After popping the last bit of her croissant in to she glanced up at Jessica, curious as to why the girl had fallen silent. She was surprise to see the girl’s sullen face. What happened? One minute she’s eagerly interrogating her, the next she’s staring at her plate like somebody just delivered a bad news to her. Why is she so bipolar?


“Jessica-sshi?”


Jessica doesn’t reply. She’s still lost in her own thoughts.


“Jessica-sshi?” Taeyeon tried again.


This time Jessica finally looked up from her plate.


“Are you alright?” Taeyeon inquired.


“No.” Jessica replied coldly.


“Uhh…what’s wrong…?” Taeyeon shifted uncomfortably on her seat. Is she mad again?


Jessica folded her arms and glared at her. “You better make sure you help me move on, or I swear I’ll rip you in to pieces.”


Taeyeon gulped. What is wrong with her!?!? Seriously, she’s got some kind of disorder or something!


“Don’t worry, I-I will.” She reassured her.


Jessica took a bite from her chocolate chip muffin. “So do you have a plan yet?”


“Actually, I was thinking since you’re free for two whole months, maybe you could accompany me and aid me in completing my other two tasks.”


Jessica placed her half eaten muffin down and stared at her incredulously. “What? Why would I do that? I thought you were supposed to be helping me, not the other way around?”


“Helping me will help you!” Taeyeon said defensively.


Jessica scoffed. “How is me helping you, help me move on from my problems?”


“Well, I've been contemplating about your case lately and I've concluded that it's a lot more difficult compared to the other two and it’ll take a lot more time to complete. I realized that I won't be able to get you to move on in just a couple of days so I thought, ‘why not let her tag along with me. At least it’ll take her mind off depressing things.’ And who knows, maybe along the way you’ll begin to move on and forget about the past.”


Jessica thought about what the other girl had just said. She has a point. Helping her might actually help her forget the past. And if it doesn’t at least it’ll help her past the time. At least she’ll have something to do and not just mope around inside her condo for two whole months.


“Fine.” Jessica finally conceded.


Taeyeon smiled widely.


“So…who exactly is your second task?” Jessica asked taking a bite out of her muffin.


Taeyeon took a sip of her latte before answering. “Oh, some high school student from Dookong High.”


“Dookong High? That’s like a few minutes away from here.”


“Ah, really?”


“Yeah. So who is it?”


Taeyeon thought for a moment, trying to recall the student’s name. "Hmm...what was the name again?"


Jessica rolled her eyes. "Wow, you forgot his name already? How are you supposed to help him when you can't even remember his name?"


“Ah! I remember now! By the way it's not a 'him,' it's a her!"


"Whatever. So what's her name?"


Taeyeon grinned widely.





"Her name is Yoona. Im Yoona.”


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A/N: Hey everyone! Ooh! Im Yoona making an appearance next chapter! Who's excited?! I know I am! Lol. So what did you guys think of this chapter? Good? Bad? Like? Dislike? Any predictions? Let me know!! Comment, comment! Thank you for reading! :) 

PS: Just to let you guys know, I really don't update this fast :P I already had the three chapters prewritten before hand. But don't worry! I usually update every week! Actually next week I'm gonna be on my spring break so I might actually update fast! Hehe...Look forward to it! =]