Chapter 23

Loving You Forever

Kenneth looked up from the dining table when he heard Ben trotting down the stairs.  Standing up he called out to his brother, "Ben, come and have breakfast with me."

Ben, who was heading towards the front door, halted and reversed directions.  He gestured at the maid to bring him a plate and happily sat down at the head of the table.  "I thought you might be mad at me," he said with a hesitant smile.

Kenneth shook his head vigorously and replied, "I'm not.  I should be apologizing for asking you for it."

Ben stretched his arm out and patted Kenneth's shoulder in an affectionate way, "No you don't.  We're brothers.  We should be able to talk and ask freely of anything from each other."

Leaning across the table, Kenneth asked eagerly, "Does that mean you're going to lend the money to my friend Raymond?"

Pouring himself a cup of coffee from the pot, Ben flicked an incredulous look at Kenneth and said candidly, "No.  It just means that I like the idea of us being open with each other.  By the way, how is Lam Sir's mom doing?"

Kenneth slowly shook his head, his eyes full of sadness as he revealed, "Not good.  She's been hospitalized for over two weeks now and her condition is just getting worse and worse.  Sometimes when I visit and see her in so much pain, I feel really bad and wish I could help relieve some of her pain.  Ron said if Auntie doesn't get surgery in another week or so she may die."

Ben saw the caring on Kenneth's face and said tenderly, "You're too softhearted."

"Why won't you lend him the money?" Kenneth sulked.  "It's a small amount to you.  You know I never ask your help with anything and prefer to rely upon myself.  This time it's different.  A life is at stake.  Why won't you help?"

The maid arrived with a plate of breakfast for Ben.  Ben waited until she was gone before addressing Kenneth's question.  "It's not about the money.  It's more about the principle.  I don't want your friends thinking they can get money out from you whenever they can."

"Raymond isn't like that.  And he didn't ask me to borrow the money.  I took it upon myself to ask you because I want to help out a friend."

"Kenneth, you already have my answer," Ben said and proceeded to attack his eggs.

Kenneth didn't say another word as he silently watched his brother finish his breakfast.  He, himself, took small bites.  When the maid had removed their plates, Kenneth pleaded, "Please Ben.  I know Raymond would return the money quickly.  If not, then I promise I'll repay you."

Ben gulped down his remaining coffee and wiped his mouth with a napkin before looking reproachfully at Kenneth.  "I already gave you my answer and I won't repeat it again."  He then smiled brightly at Kenneth and said, "Let's not let this ruin our brotherhood.  Alright?"

Kenneth knew it was useless to argue with Ben.  Numbly he nodded.

Seeing the sadness on Kenneth's face prompted Ben to offer, "How about this?  I'll find your friend Raymond a specialist to see his mom.  Maybe there's an alternative beside surgery."

Kenneth knew it wasn't a specialist Auntie needed.  It was surgery.  Nevertheless he nodded and mumbled a thank you to Ben for his generous offer.

-----------------------------------------

Charmaine followed docilely behind Raymond as they entered Gigi's room.  She was lying down, her eyes were closed but they fluttered open when she heard them enter.  "Good morning Auntie," Charmaine greeted and walked up to the bed and placed the thermos of food she had cooked onto the sliding serving table.  "I made you some congee for breakfast."

As usual, Gigi ignored Charmaine and focused all her attention on Raymond.  "R-Raymond," she rasped breathlessly.

Raymond hurried to her side and leaned his ear towards her, "What is it mom?"

Gigi inhaled with effort, the wheezing sound tore at Raymond.  "P-pain.  I'm in a-a lot of p-pain."

Raymond grabbed his mom's hand and bent over it.  Tears immediately welled in his eyes seeing his once robust mom now not even having the strength to talk.  "I know mom.  Stay strong.  You're going to be alright real soon."

"I-I can't," Gigi said hoarsely.  Her eyes were red and a single tear slipped out from the corner of an eye.  "I-It hurts," she whimpered.  "I c-can't take any m-more of this."

"You have to," Raymond shouted.  He grabbed his mom's shoulders and shook her slightly, "You have to stay strong."  A knock sounded on the door just before it was opened and Ron stepped in.

"Hello Auntie," Ron greeted and nodded his head in greeting at Charmaine.  He looked gravely at Raymond and inclined his head towards the door then walked out.

With a racing heart, Raymond gave his mom's hand a firm squeeze then stepped out of the room.  Charmaine followed.  They walked down the corridor and around a bend to a visitors area.  "What's wrong?" Raymond asked Ron.

Ron rested his hands on his hips as he debated on the right way to tell Raymond the bad news.  After a pause, he decided there IS no right way.  Holding Raymond's gaze, he said quietly, "Raymond, your mom is not doing good at all.  The chemotherapy isn't working."

Raymond was astounded by the news.  He shook his head in denial and said urgently, "You told me that chemo will prevent the cancerous cells from spreading.  YOU told me that!"

"I know," Ron defended remorsefully.  "I thought it might help your mom but the chemo sessions seem to have the opposite effect on her.  What may work for some patients may not work for all.  I'm sorry Raymond."

"Sorry?" Raymond shrieked.  He grabbed the lapels of Ron's shirt and pushed him up against the wall.  "What are you trying to tell me?!  That my mom is going to die and there's nothing I can do about it?!"

Charmaine grabbed Raymond's arm and tugged at him to release Ron.  "Raymond, don't do this.  Listen to what Dr. Ng has to say," she urged softly.

Charmaine's words penetrated through Raymond's anger and he slowly relaxed his grip from Ron.  Taking a step back he raked his hand through his hair and muttered, "I'm sorry Ron.  I shouldn't have…"

"That's alright," Ron interrupted with empathy.  "As I mentioned, the only answer for Auntie is surgery.  I already took the initiative and scheduled surgery for Auntie for next Wednesday.  In the meantime, ask all your friends, your co-workers, anyone you can think of to borrow the money."  Placing an arm around Raymond's shoulder, he added, "I don't have much but I'm going to lend you my entire life savings which is about seven hundred thousand.  It's up to you to get the rest."

Raymond was stumped by Ron's generous offer.  "I can't…"

"You could and you will take my money," Ron corrected firmly.  With an encouraging smile, he patted Raymond's back and then left.

"Money," Raymond uttered helplessly.  "Where can I get the rest of the money?"  Feeling like he's hanging on a tightrope, Raymond stalked down the corridor towards the exit.  He shoved the door open and the door slammed against the adjacent wall with a loud bang.

"Raymond!" Charmaine cried and hurried after him.  She caught up with him in the gardens.  He was facing a tree, his back to her and she knew by the shaking of his body that he was crying.  "Raymond," she said his name softly, tenderly and wrapped her arms around his waist.

"What am I going to do?" Raymond asked but he didn't expect Charmaine to answer.  "What am I going to do?" he repeated loudly and then suddenly punched the tree.  He punched and punched and punched.

"Stop it," Charmaine cried desperately grabbing his arm before he could hurt himself further.  She saw the droplets of blood dripping from his bruised and cut knuckles and quickly pulled out a handkerchief.  She tried to wrap it around his hand but Raymond pushed it away.  "Please don't be like this," Charmaine pleaded, her eyes revealing the depth of her love and concern for him.

Raymond saw through her eyes the worry he was causing her and instantly regretted his actions.  "I'm sorry Charmaine," he whispered.

Charmaine wordlessly pulled him towards her and wrapped her arms around him.

---------------------------------------------

It was past visiting hour but because of Gigi's dire condition, Raymond was allowed to remain in the hospital overnight.  He had wanted to drive Charmaine home but she refused, insisting that he watch over Gigi instead.  Charmaine hailed a cab outside the hospital but got off a few blocks from her building.  She wanted to pick up some grocery and prepare some food for Raymond's breakfast.  With her two bags of grocery in one hand, she used the other to call Raymond.  He wasn't picking up.  She then realized that his phone was turned off.  Hospital rules.  After placing her phone back in her bag she continued on her way.  She wished there was more she can do to help Raymond.  So engrossed with her thoughts that she didn't hear her name being called a few times.

"Charmaine!" Ben called out to her from across the street.  "Charmaine!"

Charmaine heard her name and turned towards the voice.  It was Ben Wong.  She didn't greet him.  Her first instinct was to run.  She had promised Raymond not to see him again.  However, before she could make a fast getaway, Ben was upon her.

"Didn't you hear me?" Ben asked.  His eyes took in her dreary appearance and he asked with open concern, "What happened?"

Charmaine shook her head in response and said in a choked whisper, "I-It's nothing."

Ben peered down closely at her and could see that something was troubling her.  Suddenly he placed his hands on her shoulders and forced her to look at him.  In a low voice, he ordered, "Tell me."