Chapter 14

Loving You Forever

They walked side by side down the narrow street.  They have just consumed enough pasta to feed an army of twelve and decided to exercise and work off some of the calories by taking a nice long walk.  The hour was still early and the streets were packed.  A man, who was obviously in a rush, accidently, jammed his shoulder against Charmaine causing her to titter against Raymond.  Raymond steadied her and glared with annoyance at the passing man.  "Watch where you're going!"  The man didn't make any acknowledgment that he heard Raymond.  "There should be a law against shoving people on a crowded street," he mumbled.

Charmaine laughed softly at the ridiculous idea.  "If it happens then people will be fined every single day.  Think of how busy the police will be."

Seeing Charmaine's warm smile made Raymond forget his annoyance.  They continued walking and came upon a florist shop.  "Wait," he said and disappeared into the store.

Charmaine peered through the window to watch Raymond.  He was speaking to the young sales woman and pointing at something that Charmaine's couldn't see.  Turning away from the window she took a few steps to the next store.  It was a toy store and as she was viewing the colorful gadgets that children loved so much Raymond suddenly reappeared beside her with his hands behind his back.  She saw the rueful smile on his face and asked, "What do you have behind your back?"

"Guess," he ordered softly with a mischievous smile on his face.

"Flowers," Charmaine answered automatically.  What else would you buy at a florist shop she thought to herself.

Raymond nodded his head but still didn't reveal what was in his hands.  "What kind of flowers?"

Charmaine giggled like a school girl and guessed, "Roses, definitely red roses."

Shaking his head, Raymond said, "Nope.  Take another guess."

Charmaine pursed her lips together in an adorable way that made Raymond itch to kiss her.  "Tulips?"

Again Raymond shook his head.  "I'll give you one more chance.  If you still don't get it right then I would have to punish you."

Charmaine leaned her head slightly to the side to get a peep behind him but Raymond dodged her.  "Lillies?" she asked uncertainly.

Raymond shook his head and brought his hands out to reveal a small bouquet of tiny red and pink aluminum balloons tied together with a white sash.  "For you."  He handed it to her and added, "As much as I hate to do it, I would have to punish you for not being able to guess correctly."

Charmaine accepted the balloon bouquet with a glowing smile and chided softly, "It's not fair.  You know I won't be able to guess this."

Raymond shrugged and with a wide grin on his face said, "It doesn't matter.  I have to punish you now."  He then rubbed his fingers on his chin and said thoughtfully, "Hmm… how can I punish you?  Should I make you do a hundred sit-ups, like in police academy?"

Charmaine's eyes widened at his unreasonableness and was about to object when Raymond suddenly leaned towards her and brush a soft kiss on her lips.

"This is your punishment," he whispered against the velvety softness of her lips.  He kissed her again and then reluctantly stepped back.

Charmaine could feel the heat rise to her face by the kiss.  "It was a trick all along," she accused in a low voice but there was definitely no anger in her tone.

Chuckling Raymond picked up her free hand and squeezed it gently.  "I'll take you home now."

Still reeling from the kiss and Raymond's open affection, Charmaine nodded meekly.  As they waited at the light she stole a peep at him.  He was still smiling and his smile warmed her.  Not only that, she found she liked spending time with him.  Raymond makes her feel special and she was very fond of him as well.  In truth, she was more than fond.  She had fallen in love with him.  She didn't know when it happened but the feelings were there and very real.  She was pretty sure he felt the same about her and that made her smile.  As if sensing her eyes on him, Raymond suddenly turned to look down at her.  He saw the tender smile on her face and asked, "What is it?"

"I'm just happy," Charmaine admitted softly and felt Raymond's hand tightened over hers.

Raymond lifted a hand to touch her face and said, "Me too.  You can't imagine how happy I am."  He then bent and dropped a quick kiss on her cheek.  Together they crossed the street smiling lovingly at each other.  Raymond was so engrossed with Charmaine that he didn't see Gigi standing a few feet away staring at them with a look of shock and disgust.

-------------------------------------------

Kenneth walked into Ben's home study and sat himself down on one of the guest chairs.  "Derek tells me that you're coming to our company's party this Friday.  Is that the truth?"

Suppressing a chuckle, Ben responded, "As a matter of fact it is."

Expecting to hear a denial, Kenneth was amazed at his brother's response.  "But you don't like socializing.  And you hate parties.  You won't even go to your own birthday party."

Ben sat up in his chair and folded his arms over his chest, "Can't a man change his mind?" he countered with a lopsided grin.

Not fully satisfied with the answer, Kenneth pressed, "Why the sudden change?  I don't get it."

This time Ben laughed out loud as he got up and walked around his desk to sit down next to Kenneth.  "I realize that there are some things a person must do in order to get something else."

Baffled by the statement, Kenneth gave his brother a queer look and said, "Huh?  Can you say that again only in words that I can understand."

Ruffling Kenneth's hair, Ben said, "You don't need to understand anything.  Am I not welcome to your company's party?"

"Of course you are!" Kenneth instantly replied.  "I am happy that you are actually going and making an effort to socialize."  He then saw the coy smile on Ben's face and said with a knowing smile, "You're interested in someone in my company aren't you?"

"I am not," Ben said.  He got up and walked back to his own chair behind the desk.  "You're reading too much into this."

Kenneth didn't think so but he wasn't going to debate this topic with his brother.  Standing up he said, "I'm heading up to bed now.  It's been a long tiring day for me."'

"Goodnight," Ben said and waited until Kenneth left.  Once the door to his study was closed, Ben took out a picture that he had secretly taken of Charmaine.  He had never been this enthralled by any woman.  Since the moment he laid eyes on her he was infatuated with her.  As he studied her picture he was more determine than ever to win her affections.

----------------------------------------

Whistling a love song, Raymond unlocked his front door and stepped into the apartment.  Gigi was on the couch watching the late news.  After hanging his keys on a hook he waltzed over to his mom and said, "I thought you'll be in bed by now."

Gigi turned the TV off and stood up to face him.  In a low growl, she said, "Now I understand why you broke up with Mandy.  It's because of that woman!  She came between you and Mandy!"

Raymond froze for a few seconds as he collected himself.  How?  No, his mom doesn't know a thing.  She is only guessing.  Yes, that's it, he reassured himself.  Dismissing her words as rubbish, he said placately, "Mom, what are you talking about?  What woman?"

"Don't deny it!" Gigi hissed, "I saw the two of you on the streets before.  You guys were kissing," she spat.  "I can't believe you could dump Mandy for that… that…"

"No!" Raymond quickly injected.  "Charmaine has nothing to do with my breaking up with Mandy.  Please Mom.  Let me introduce you to her.  You're going to love Charmaine."

Gigi shook her head vehemently and took a step back.  "I am not going to accept her into my life.  In my eyes I only have one future daughter-in-law and that is Mandy."  She then turned and stalked into her room slamming the door behind her.

Raymond stared at Gigi's closed door with frustration.  Oh God, what a mess he groaned inwardly.