Chapter 38

Loving You Forever

Ben jumped up from his chair.  The sight of Raymond Lam in this room, this second infuriated him.  Raymond Lam was the reason why Charmaine tried to kill herself and ended up lying in a hospital bed.  He was the cause for all of Charmaine's pain and suffering.  Reining in his fury, Ben stared coldly at Raymond and growled, "Get the hell out of my wife's room.  You're not welcome here."

Raymond wasn't about to leave without answers.  He looked down at Charmaine and the bruises on her face seem to jump out at him.  It was stark against the eerily whiteness of her skin.  From the door he hadn't realized how many of them there were.  Up close, there must be at least half a dozen of them marring her once porcelain face.  Staring coldly back at Ben, he hissed, "What did you do to her?"

The audacity of Raymond to even ask any questions pertaining to his wife enraged Ben.  Charmaine was his wife!  And Ben didn't have to answer to anybody about her.  Especially Raymond Lam!  "My wife," he emphasized the title, "Is not any of your business.  So get out!"

Raymond's fingers curled into fists at his side as he took a threatening step closer to Ben.  "You better tell me or else…"

"Stop it!" Kenneth shrieked and step forward between the two men.  "Not here."

Keeping his eyes leveled on Raymond, Ben said with deadly menace, "Lam Sir, this is a private room and I ask that you leave.  Right now!"

Raymond refuses to budge.  He needed to know what happened to Charmaine.  He had to know.  He turned his flinty eyes on Kenneth and barked, "Tell me Kenneth!  What happened to her?"

Kenneth averted his eyes.  What can he say?  That his dear brother and beat the crap out of Charmaine?  He can't rat on Ben.  "I don't know," he muttered.

Raymond knew Kenneth was lying and hiding something from him.  Kenneth was only protective of one person and that is his brother, Ben Wong.  For him to avoid answering such a simple question could only mean one thing.  Ben Wong was responsible for Charmaine's injuries!  Turning back to Ben, he grabbed his shirt and pushed him back roughly against the wall.  "You did this to her didn't you!  You bastard!"  He raised his fist prepared to strike.

"What?" Ben challenged.  "You're going to hit me?  Let go of me now Lam Sir or else you'll be the one who's going to be arrested."

Nancy rushed over and grabbed Raymond's arm.  Tugging on it with all her strength, she urged, "Raymond, don’t do it.  If you hurt him you'll only be setting yourself up.  Let go of him."

Raymond remained poised with his fist in the air inches away from Ben's hateful face.  Finally, very slowly he lowered his raised arm and released his grip on Ben.  "I'm going to find out what happened to her.  If I find out that you're responsible I'm coming after you.  You better believe it."

Ben wasn't fazed by the threat.  He returned to Charmaine's bedside and lovingly her face knowing that this small, subtle touch was enough to rile Raymond further because Charmaine was his and she will never belong to Raymond Lam.  Keeping his face on Charmaine, Ben said politely over his shoulder, "Lam Sir, I ask again that you leave my wife's room.  My wife is no concern of yours."

"Raymond," Nancy pulled on his arm.  "Let's go.  We have work to do."

Raymond's gaze fell on Charmaine again.  With one last longing look he left the room.

---------------------------------------------

It was early evening.  Raymond and Nancy had interviewed the latest victim Selena Li.  She wasn't too helpful in their case since she had been unconscious during her attack.  However, Raymond did succeed in getting some facial details of the last person she was with before suddenly blacking out.  He had made arrangements for the police artist to meet with Selena Li as soon as possible and do a composite.  That wouldn't be until tomorrow morning.  Instead of returning to the station, he told Nancy to go ahead without him.  Nancy gave him a queer look but nevertheless left without arguing.

Sitting in a corner of the floor's visiting area, Raymond looked down the wide corridor.  Charmaine's room was on the right side, eight doors down.  Should Ben Wong leave the room, he had ample time to hide behind the nearby column without being seen by him.  He waited and waited.  Finally, Charmaine's room door opened and he watched with trepidation as Kenneth left the room and walked in the opposite direction.  Getting on his feet, Raymond slowly followed Kenneth, making sure to duck under the window of Charmaine's room in case Ben happens to be loitering by the door.  He followed Kenneth around a bend towards the elevators.  Remaining hidden, Raymond waited until the elevator arrived.  Once it did and he saw Kenneth go in, Raymond quickly ran into the elevator just as it was about to close.

"Raymond?  What are you doing?" Kenneth asked shakily as he took a step back.

Raymond grabbed Kenneth by the shirt and pulled him up close.  "Tell me what happened to Charmaine!  Is your brother responsible?"

Kenneth shook his head frantically.  In the face of Raymond's anger, he couldn't seem to think straight and he began sputtering incoherently, "I…  Charmaine… I….Ben…."

"Tell me!" Raymond roared and slammed Kenneth up against the elevator wall.

"I don't know," Kenneth blurted out.  "I really don't know!"

"You know," Raymond said and slowly curled his fingers around Kenneth's neck and gave it a gentle squeeze.  "Are you going to tell me or not?"

"All I know is that when I got home last night I found Charmaine bleeding on her bed.  She tried to kill herself but we got her to the hospital in time."  Kenneth conveniently left out the part about Ben's confession.  Raymond didn't need to know that.

"What about the bruises on her face?" Raymond demanded.  "Did your brother do that?"

Looking aghast at the suggestion, Kenneth said with feeling, "My brother loves Charmaine.  Very very much.  He would never hurt her!  I don't care whether you believe it or not!"

Raymond let go of Kenneth just as the elevator stopped at the ground floor.  He stepped off but turned back to look at Kenneth.  "I can't believe you would protect your brother after what he did to Charmaine.  I hope you can live with your conscience."  He then walked away.

Kenneth slowly came out of the elevator as he stared after Raymond's back.  Conscience?  Kenneth didn’t have one.  He gave that away when he lied to cover for his brother.  He only hopes that Charmaine would eventually forgive him.

--------------------------------------------

Gigi scooped the last of the broccoli out of the wok and arranged it neatly on the plate.  Mandy was at the sink rinsing fresh fruits that she had bought over to prepare a fruit salad for dessert.  Gigi peered over her shoulder and said with delight, "You bought all of Raymond's favorite fruits."

Mandy smiled shyly and continued washing the strawberries one by one.

After setting the plate of broccoli down on a counter, Gigi went over to help Mandy.  Picking up a strawberry and cutting the stem she asked casually, "How did it go last night?"  Mandy blushed but didn't answer her question.  "Raymond tells me he had a good time."

Mandy thought he did too except for the little awkwardness they had sharing a table with Charmaine and Ben.  However, even that didn't seem to dampen Raymond's mood as the evening wore on.  "I did too."

"He also told me that you guys are giving each other a second chance," Gigi announced giddily.

Mandy smiled with happiness, "Yes we are."

Grabbing Mandy's arms, Gigi hugged her joyously.  "I'm so happy for you two.  I knew it would happen because you two are meant for each other."

Mandy gave Gigi a shy smile and then the smile turn to a look of uncertainty.  "Auntie, I hope I'm not being too forward in saying this but I feel as if Raymond is doing this because he feels pressure to."

"That's nonsense!" Gigi rebuked.  "Raymond never does anything he doesn't want to.  You should know that about him."

"I guess but… last night when we saw Charmaine even though he tried to hide it but I can see that he still has strong feelings for her.  He kept looking at her and his eyes were full of regret and… and love."  Mandy looked dejectedly down at the floor and continued quietly, "He's never looked at me that way before."

"You silly girl," Gigi scolded gently.  "You're over thinking things.  Stop thinking that way and appreciate this second chance with him.  Come on, let's set the table.  Raymond will be home for dinner any minute now."

-----------------------------------------

Raymond resumed his earlier position in the floor's visiting area.  Kenneth had gone and wouldn't be back tonight.  Visiting hours would soon be over and Ben Wong would have to leave.  He, however, had the advantage of being of cop.  That gave him the privilege and authority to come and go the hospital at all hours.  Leaning back against his chair he waited and finally his wait was over.  He saw the door to Charmaine's room open and he quickly sidled up behind the column.  Sticking his head out slightly, Raymond watched with anticipation as Ben walked away.  When Ben was completely out of sight, he started off in the direction of Charmaine's room and his phone vibrated.  He looked at the caller ID: his mom.  Shutting off the phone, he dropped it carelessly into the pocket of his jacket and headed for Charmaine's room.