Chapter 47

Loving You Forever

Charmaine stared with a mixture of trepidation and inquiry at the two men standing in front of her.  Both faces bore the strain of their worries and both seem agitated with each other.  Although Charmaine didn't know who they were she knew one thing: the two men hated each other.  Then another question popped into her head.  If she was already married to one of the them then why did the other man still held her hand so tightly before.  She doesn't recall being the type to cheat.  It was very strange.  She skimmed her eyes to the man who called himself her husband.  He was looking back at her and through the worry on his face she detected a trace of bitterness and resentment.  Charmaine then turned her gaze to the other man.  Besides looking worried, there was also frustration and regret.  An odd combination.  She frowned wondering what her relationship was with these two formidable men.

"Charmaine," Ben said her name in a soft caress.  "It doesn't matter if you forgot who I am right now.  The fact is that I am indeed your husband.  That's all you need to know and remember from now on.  We can start fresh from there."

"In your dreams!" Raymond nipped.  Looking tenderly at Charmaine he instructed, "Don't believe a single word from him.  You don't love him.  I'm the one you love."

Ignoring Raymond, Ben persisted, "I'm your husband.  If you didn't love me you wouldn't have married me right?"

Charmaine was saved from making any response when the doctor came into the room.  He went straight to her pausing only to retrieve the medical clipboard that hung at the foot of the bed.  "How are you feeling?"

Charmaine touched the bandage around her head and then unconsciously touched the sore spot on her chest.  "I have a throbbing pain here."

The doctor smiled with reassurance and scribbled something onto the clipboard.  "You were shot.  We removed the bullet.  You're lucky the bullet didn't hit any of your vital organs and didn't lodge in that deep.  It's only a flesh wound so feeling a throbbing pain is normal."  He gesture at her head and asked, "How about your head?  Any headaches?"

Charmaine brought her fingers to the bandages wrapped around her head and slowly shook it.  "No, but I can't seem to remember getting shot."

"Do you know your name?"

Charmaine nodded.  "It's Charmaine Sheh."

The doctor pointed to Ben and asked, "Do you remember your husband?"

Charmaine looked at Ben and tried to conjure up memories of him but none came forth.  Slowly she shook her head.  "I don't."  She saw Ben's jaw tightened with anger and a chill ran down her spine.

The doctor then pointed at Raymond and Kenneth, "How about these two?  Do you remember them?"

Again, Charmaine tried to conjure up memories of them but nothing came.  Her mind was a blank page where they were concern.  "No," she admitted softly.

The doctor didn't seem worry about her lapse of memory.  Jotting some more notes onto the clipboard he said, "When you fell you hit your head.  We did an x-ray on it and saw a small blood cot.  The blood cot is not life threatening but that may be the reason for your loss of memory.  The clot will eventually disappear and hopefully you'll regain your memory as well."

"What if she never does?" Kenneth asked, his eyes going to Ben to see his reaction and was taken aback by the sight of a hopeful grin on his face.  It seems Ben was the only one who is happy with this outcome.  Of course he would be, Kenneth thought irritably.  Then Charmaine won't be able to testify against him which means he's off the hook.

The doctor smiled and assured, "In time everything will work out.  It's very common among people who suffer blows to their heads to have temporary memory loss.  A majority of them usually regain their memories in a few months.  Only a small handful never does."

"Are you saying there is a small chance that she may never regain her memory?" Raymond asked with panic.

The doctor nodded but then smiled with confidence, "Yes, but I'm sure Miss Sheh will be in the majority."

"When can she go home?" Ben asked suddenly.

The doctor scanned the clipboard and said, "Besides the memory loss, she's one hundred fine.  The bullet wound is very small and won't affect her daily routine.  She can go home tomorrow if she wants."

Ben smiled genuinely for the first time since coming to the hospital.  He looked lovingly at Charmaine and said, "I'll take very good care of you once you're home."

"Like hell you are!" Raymond snapped.  "She's not going anywhere with you."

Ben glared hatefully at Raymond and grinded out, "I'm her husband and it's my duty to take care of her.  Or have you forgotten hat she is still legally my wife?"

The doctor looked over at Charmaine and saw the dread and tension on her face.  Taking matters into his own hands, he suggested, "Miss Sheh, I know this is beyond my line of duty as a doctor but since you are my patient, you're also my responsibility.  If you don't feel comfortable going home with you husband at this time, then I can make arrangements for you to stay here a little longer until you become more familiar with your friends and family."

Charmaine immediately took the offer.  "I would like that very much if you can arrange it.  Thank you doctor."

"You're welcome," the doctor said and headed for the door.  "Now if you'll excuse me, I have other patients to tend to.  I'll come by to check on you in a few hours."

When the doctor was gone, Ben walked up to Charmaine and tried to take her hand but she pulled it away in time.  "I'm your husband.  You belong at home with me."

Charmaine looked apologetically up at him and said with regret, "I'm sorry but I don't remember you at all."

Ben smiled and coaxed, "That's why you should come home with me.  We can reacquaint ourselves and you can see for yourself exactly what a devoted and loving husband I am to you."

Charmaine shook her head and refusing to look at him, she murmured, "I rather stay here."

Ben gave her one last look then stormed out of the room.  Raymond was pleased with Charmaine's decision.  There was no way he would allow Charmaine to go back with Ben.  Since she decided to remain in the hospital, he was relieved.  At least Ben won't be able to abuse her here.  This would also give Raymond time to trigger her memory.  Hopefully, she'll remember him.  And although it sickened him to wish that she also regain the memories of what Ben did to her, he needed her to testify against Ben Wong.  Sitting down on the bed beside her, Raymond said gently, "Take all the time you need.  I will always be waiting for you."

Charmaine's heart tugged at his words.  She may not remember him but the stirring in her at his simple words were very real and the feeling was something she felt before.  She looked shyly up at Raymond and said, "Thank you."

Raymond smiled softly in return.  In the background, Kenneth and Gigi exchanged pleased glances.

---------------------------------------------

Ben slammed into his office and moments later there was a knock.  "Come in!" he bellowed and the door opened.

Moses stepped into the room with Kenny remaining stationed at the door.  "Ben, do you want me to make another hit at Raymond Lam?"

Ben turned his furious glare at Moses and snarled, "You?  Do you think I would trust you to do the job again?"

Moses looked sheepishly away.  Kenny then stepped forward and announced, "I'll do it."

"No," Ben objected.  He opened a draw and pulled out a gun.  Turning it around in his hand he said, "I'll get the job done myself.  There's no greater pleasure than seeing Raymond Lam die in front of me."