Chapter 3

Loving You Forever

Raymond walked into the apartment and found Gigi sitting at the dining table sipping a cup of hot tea.  "Good morning Mom," he greeted cheerfully and placed a doting kiss on her cheek.

Gigi scanned Raymond's face and noted the dark circles beneath his eyes.  Without asking she knew he had spent another night working and yet she still asked, "Were you at the station all night?"

Taking the seat next to her Raymond stretched his arms upward and yawned.  "Yes.  We've been stalking the serial killer that has been killing all those under aged girls and last night we've finally arrested him."

"That's good news but…" Gigi trailed off and looked pointedly at Raymond as if he should automatically know what she was about to say.

Raymond waited for Gigi to continue but when she didn't he prodded, "But what?"

"Mandy was here last night.  She waited until after midnight for you to come home," Gigi emphasized giving Raymond a reprimanding look.  "She said she hasn’t seen you in over a week and had hoped that you'll be home for dinner.  As usual, you weren't.  Didn't you get any of our calls?"

Raymond took out his cell phone and realized that it was turned off.  Giving his mom an apologetic look he said, "I must have forgotten to turn it back on when I got back to the station.  Sorry."

Making a huffing sound, Gigi got up and walked into the kitchen.  Inside she began gathering things to prepare breakfast for him.  In a loud voice she said, "You should be apologizing to Mandy, not me."

"I will," Raymond quickly said, "As soon as I get some free time."

Raymond's reply caused Gigi to instantly emerge from the kitchen.  Holding a spatula she waved it in front of Raymond and said with annoyance, "When you have time!  What about now?  You're not doing anything except sitting here."

"Mom," Raymond groaned.  He was tired and hungry.  All he wanted to do right now was eat and then take a long nap.  "I'll call her later," he promised.

Softening her tone, Gigi sat back down on the chair she had vacated only minutes ago.  "Raymond, you have to put a little more effort into your relationship with Mandy.  She's such a sweet and good girl.  Girls like that don't come very often.  When they do you have to hold on tight and treat them well.  Otherwise, you're going to lose her and then you'll regret it for the rest of your life."

Smiling cheekily at Gigi, Raymond said, "I know.  That's why I'll call her later and make it up to her."

Unsatisfied with his response, Gigi pressed, "It's time you two got marry.  You've been seeing her for over two years now.  That's long enough to know she'll make you a good wife.  What is it you're waiting for?"

The mention of marriage had Raymond instantly standing up.  "Uh Mom, I just remembered I have a meeting this morning back at the station.  I'll grab a bite on my way there."

"Every time I mention marriage you can't run away fast enough," Gigi remarked dryly.  "Why is that?"

Giving his mom a grin, Raymond shrugged and said with humor, "I don't know what makes you think that."  Quickly grabbing his keys he dashed out of the apartment without giving Gigi a chance to say another word.

----------------------------------------------

Kenneth stepped out of his building and down to the curb.  He was late.  Again.  This would be the third time he was late this week.  If Derek Kwok wasn't his brother's good friend, Kenneth was sure he would have been fired by now.  Looking to his left he searched in vain for a cab.  None was in sight.  Glancing uneasily at his watch he prepared himself for the long trek to the bus stop.  He wasn’t up to it in this soaring heat but he was adamant about proving himself.  For too long he had been under his brother's wings.  Not that he didn't appreciate it.  In fact, Ben was the best brother any one could ever ask for.  Kenneth just felt it was time to see what he can accomplish on his own.

Halfway up the block, a sleek black limo screeched to a stop right beside him.  Kenneth tried looking into the limo but the windows were all tinted black.  Suddenly the back door swung open and a pair of legs clad in black trousers and wearing expensive black shiny shoes stepped out.  Kenneth's gaze moved upwards the length of the man as the man alighted from the limo.  Seeing the face he cried out happily, "Ben!"

Ben's smile was just as warm and just as happy.  Embracing Kenneth, he said, "Good to see you bro!"

"When did you get back?  Why didn't you tell me?" Kenneth asked all at once.

Ben chuckled and said with a tigerish smile, "I wanted to surprise you.  Are you surprised?"

Kenneth nodded his head vigorously.  "How long will you be staying this time?"

Motioning for Kenneth to follow him into the limo, Ben replied, "I'm thinking about staying here permanently.  I've already tied down loose ends on all my overseas businesses.  Hong Kong is where I want to be.  Do you want to know why?"

Kenneth shook his head and waited anxiously for Ben's answer. 

"It's because my beloved brother is here," Ben stated firmly.  He ruffled Kenneth's hair and said, "I won't be leaving again."

"That's good news," Kenneth said.  Turning solemn he added, "This may sound corny and even childish but I really miss having my big brother around."

Touched by Kenneth's admission, Ben said, "And I miss taking care of my little brother."

-------------------------------------------

Raymond exited the ramp and made a right turn into the hospital's parking lot.  After leaving his apartment he had breakfast at a nearby diner.  He lied to his mom about having a meeting at the station.  He only wanted to get away from her constant pressure about him getting married.  Sure, he thought about getting married one day.  However, that one day is in the future, the very far future.  Right now he just didn't see himself married.  Perhaps in a few years he would give it some serious thought.  For the time being he enjoyed his freedom.  Not that he was going to lose it if he ever decides to get married.  But being married comes with big, make that huge, responsibilities.  That was something he isn't prepared for.

As Raymond walked along the long hospital corridors, he wondered why he was even here.  He thought about returning to the station but found that he had driven to the hospital instead.  Since he was here he might as well see how she was doing.  The anticipation of seeing her again made Raymond nervous.  He didn't know why he was having these strange feelings for her.  She was a stranger to him.  All he knew of her was her name and that she got caught up in the chase of Joe Ma.  Yet, somehow this beautiful stranger left a deep impression on him and he was unconsciously drawn to her.  That would explain why he was at the hospital instead of back at the station or even at home.

He made a turn and steadily walked towards her room.  He could see her sitting up in bed and she lifted her eyes as if she felt him coming.  "Hi," he said softly.

Charmaine smiled in return and asked, "Lam Sir, what brings you here?"

Raymond didn't know.  Instead of answering her question he looked down at the forms in front of her.  "You're leaving?"

Charmaine nodded and gathered the forms together.  "The doctor said I was fine and that I could leave.  I was just about to when you walked in."

Raymond looked around the room but didn't see another person in sight.  "Is anyone here to pick you up?"

"No," Charmaine responded meekly.  "I don't have family here and I don't want to impose on my friends."

Raymond flicked a glance at the cast around her arm and said with authority, "Come on, I'll take you home."

Charmaine was stunned by his offer.  She barely knew him except that he was a cop.  Why was he being so nice to her?  Why was he even here in the first place?  Last night, she had been aware of his excessive concern for her, which didn't make any sense since they don't even know each other.  What did he really want with her?  All these questions rang alarm bells within Charmaine and her eyes skirted uneasily towards the open door.  Keeping her voice casual, she said softly, "Thank you but it's not necessary.  I can manage on my own."

Raymond seemed to know what she was thinking.  Smiling gently, he assured, "Don't worry.  I'm one of the good guys.  I feel bad about getting you hurt.  It's part my fault and I want to make it up to you.  So please say you'll let me take you home?"

Charmaine was about to refuse but something in the way he was looking at her changed her mind.  Giving him a small smile, she said, "Thank you Lam Sir."

Raymond took her bag from her and led her out the hospital.  At his car, he opened the passenger door for her and said with a boyish smile, "Please call me Raymond."