Chapter 40

Loving You Forever

Raymond went to the hospital early the next morning.  He peered into Charmaine's room and found the bed empty.  Seeing a passing nurse he pulled her aside and asked anxiously, "Do you know where this patient went?"

The nurse gave him a friendly smile and said, "She has been transferred to another hospital sometime during the night.  You would have to check the receptionist in the lobby for more information."

"Thanks," Raymond mumbled and looked into the room again.  The bed was completely stripped of sheets and there was not a single personal item to indicate that it is being used.  Saddened and frustrated that she had disappeared again, Raymond made his way out of the hospital.  As he got into his car he saw Ben.  Ben was walking towards him with a cunning smile on his face.  Raymond jumped out of his car and met Ben halfway.  "Where is she?" he asked doing away with the pleasantries.

"Lam Sir, why are you so concern about my wife's whereabouts?" Ben asked with amusement.

"I asked a simple question and I expect a simple answer.  Tell me where she is."  Raymond had never wanted so much to use force as a method of making a person talk.  But he knew this was not an option.  Not in Ben Wong's case.

Ben chuckled as he leisurely made a circle around a fuming Raymond.  Stopping in front of him again, he purred, "I don't think you have the right to know.  After all… who is my wife to you?"

Raymond glared at Ben, his fury at a boiling point.  "I just want to know where she is," he clipped.

"So you do," Ben said softly.  "But I'm afraid I won't tell you."  He turned abruptly and started for his car.

Raymond ran after him and swung him around to face him.  Grabbing the lapels of Ben's jacket he pulled him in and hissed, "Where is she?  Tell me!"

Ben was undaunted by Raymond's behavior.  Instead, he seemed to be enjoying Raymond's anger.  In an overly polite voice, he said, "I think you must have forgotten something very important."  He smiled wickedly and continued, "That I'm her husband and I don't have to tell you anything where she is concern."

Raymond stared down at the cocky grin on Ben's face and all reasoning deserted him.  He pulled his arm back and delivered a blow to the side of Ben's face.  He took pleasure in feeling Ben's jaw connect with his fist and would have dived in for another blow if Ben hadn't staggered backward and out of reach.

Ben fell back against the side of a car.  He stared hatefully at Raymond as he wiped at the corner of his mouth and found spots of blood on his fingers.  "You want to try that again Lam Sir?" he asked with challenge, his eyes narrowing with menace.

Raymond took the bait.  He swung his arm but since Ben was prepared this time, he caught Raymond's arm in a viselike grip and shoved him backwards.

"Come on Lam Sir, you could do better than that," Ben taunted.

Raymond rolled his shirt sleeves up and then suddenly barreled towards Ben knocking him down to the ground.  Pressing his knee into Ben's chest, he raised his fist above his face and snipped, "This is the last time I'm going to ask: where is Charmaine?"

Ben pushed himself upwards but the pressure of Raymond's knee was strong and unmoving.  Smiling viciously at Raymond, Ben chuckled, "You will never see her again Raymond Lam!  I guarantee this."

Kenneth saw the commotion from afar and recognizing them, hurried over.  "What's going on here?"  Taking in Raymond's forced imprisonment of Ben, he shouted, "Raymond, what are you doing?  Get off of my brother!"

Without a glance at Kenneth, Raymond said, "Not until he tells me where Charmaine is."

Baffled by Raymond's words, Kenneth said, "What are you talking about?  She's in the hospital.  You saw her yesterday."

Raymond slowly turned to look at Kenneth and informed him, "She's not here anymore.  She's been transferred out."

Kenneth turned to Ben with a look of confusion, "Where is she?"

"I'll tell you as soon as he gets off of me!" Ben sneered.

Raymond released the pressure of his knee and slowly stood up.  He waited for Ben to do the same.  When Ben was standing again he said coolly, "Tell me now."

Ben suddenly threw a punch at Raymond, knocking him to the ground.  "I won't tell you anything," he snarled.

Raymond quickly got back on his feet and was about to charge at Ben when Kenneth held him back from behind.  "Let go of me!"

Locking his arms tightly around Raymond’s waist, Kenneth shouted, "Ben, just leave!"

Ben stared at Raymond as Raymond struggled fiercely against Kenneth's hold.  Straightening his clothes, he gave Raymond a tigerish grin and said with humor, "That was fun.  We must do it again some other time.  For now, I must go and see my wife.  She is waiting for me."  He quickly got into his car and drove off.

When Ben's car was out of sight, Kenneth released his hold on Raymond.  Staring at the back of Raymond's head, he said, "I'm sorry Raymond.  He's my brother.  I-I… I’m sorry."

Raymond didn't bother turning around to look at Kenneth and neither did he acknowledge his apology.  He merely jumped into his car and sped off.

------------------------------------

Charmaine didn’t know what time it was except that it was night time.  She slowly sat up in bed, feeling drowsy and weak.  The first thing she noticed was that she wasn’t in the hospital anymore.  Scanning quickly around the room she realized she was back in her own bedroom in Ben’s house.  When was she moved?  How come she didn’t know anything about it?  She couldn’t seem to remember anything except… Raymond.  He had visited her in the hospital.  Or had that been a dream?  Her mind was fuzzy and she was finding it difficult to separate her dreams from reality.  Before she could ponder further, the door opened and Ben stepped in carrying a serving tray.

“You’re awake,” he said with a loving smile.

Charmaine stared at him warily as he walked towards the bed and stopped by her side.  He set the tray on the nightstand and sat down on the bed, his hips touching hers.

“I bought you some congee,” Ben said softly and picked up the bowl.  “You haven’t eaten anything since yesterday and you must be starving.”

“I’m not hungry,” she said quietly and there was a flash of annoyance on his face just before he smoothed it out with a tender smile.

“You must eat,” Ben said and proceeded to dip the spoon into the thick paste and lifted it towards .  “Eat,” he commanded softly, his voice laced with warning.

Charmaine opened and gingerly ate the congee from the spoon.  She was far too aware of what Ben was capable of to protest any further.  She swallowed the congee, forcing it down her parched throat.

"Eat some more," Ben prompted and refilled the spoon.  He placed it into and watched with content as she swallowed spoon after spoon until the bowl was empty.  "How about dessert?  Would you like some cake or fruits?  Anything you want I’ll get it for you."

"I want to leave," Charmaine said hesitantly.  Ben bought his fingers to her face and she involuntarily cowered from his touch.  She saw his face darken with anger and her heart thumped wildly with fear.

Seeing the fear in her eyes, Ben assured, "I'm not going to hurt you.  I love you Charmaine.  I will do what I must to keep you by my side.  Even if it means killing Raymond Lam."

“What?” Charmaine gasped in horror.  “You mean…” she trailed off when Ben broke into a malicious smile.

Ben continued to caress her cheek when he answered in a cold, distant voice, “If you leave me, I will kill Raymond Lam.  Understand?”

Charmaine searched his face for a sign, any sign, that it was an empty threat but didn’t see any.  What she saw was a cold harsh determination and it chilled her.  Ben meant what he said.  She slowly nodded her head in response.

"Good.  Now, that we got that cleared, let’s move on to other things."  Ben brought his fingers to her face again, slowly easing it down her cheek.  Charmaine made herself remain very still to endure his touch.  Satisfied that he had her cooperation, Ben slid his fingers to her chin and tilted her face up to receive his kiss.

Charmaine pressed her lips firmly together and whimpered when he pushed her back against the bed.  She squeezed her eyes shut as Ben's lips trailed from to her neck and then lower.