Chapter 5

Loving You Forever

Upon seeing Raymond walk into their quad room, Nancy immediately went over to him.  Pulling him aside, she pointed towards his office and said in a low voice, "Miu Sir is waiting in your office for you."

"Miu Sir?" Raymond repeated in surprise.  Michael Miu was the highest ranking officer of this station.  Except for when Raymond first arrived and had to report to him, he never had the privilege of seeing Miu Sir again.  The man always stayed in his office and kept to himself.  The only contact he had with his subordinates was over the phone.  "Did he say what it was about?"

Benjamin who had been eavesdropping from behind stepped up and said, "It can't be good.  Everyone knows that Miu Sir only sees you if you're in some sort of trouble."

Raymond looked at them helplessly as he rummaged through his memory on whether he made some kind of error in the past couple of months.  None came to mind.  Raking his hand through his hair, he grumbled, "I don't think I messed up on anything recently.  What could he possibly want to see me about?"

Nancy shook her head and nudged Raymond towards his room.  Keeping her voice low she said, "Go in and find out."

Raymond walked into his office and found Michael Miu sitting at his desk.  Standing erect at the door he greeted, "Miu Sir!"

Michael stood up and walked around the desk.  With his hand he gestured for Raymond to take his rightful seat behind the desk.  When Raymond remained standing uncertainly, he bit back a smile and said with authority, "Please sit.  We can't have a conversation with you standing."  He then proceeded to sit down on one of the guest chairs.

Puzzled by what was unfolding but more curious as to what Miu Sir wanted, Raymond obediently sat down.

Crossing his leg, Michael relaxed against his chair but kept his eyes alert on Raymond.  "Do you know who Ben Wong is?"

Raymond tried to recall where he had heard the name but couldn't.  It did sound familiar though but he can't seem to place from where.  He shook his head in response.

"A few years ago the Hong Kong police force raided an illegal drug operation in Kowloon.  At that time they were able to locate the manufacturer of the drugs.  He was a wealthy business man from Thailand.  We knew he wasn't working alone.  Our informant revealed that the Thailand business man was actually partners with Ben Wong.  However, before we could gather enough evidence to arrest Ben Wong he fled the country."

Raymond remembered bits and pieces of this now.  He wasn't part of that operation but he had heard from his seniors about the case and the difficulty of making an arrest.  "I remember now."

Sitting straight in his chair, Michael continued, "Ben Wong is back in Hong Kong.  Our informant told us he's picking up where he left off.  This Thursday he's going to do a deal in Grand Central Plaza."

"What?" Raymond was amazed at the atrocity of this information.  "The Grand Central Plaza is swarming with cops on a daily basis.  Why would he do it there?"

Michael smiled, the smile not quite reaching his eyes.  In a tight voice, he said, "The plaza is also packed with people.  Lots and lots of people.  Ben Wong is an arrogant bastard.  He thinks he's undefeatable.  He's challenging our abilities to catch him."

"What do you want me to do?" Raymond asked.

Michael looked Raymond in the eye and said, "You and your team are one of the best teams we have.  I want your team to stake out the Plaza that day.  Watch out for Ben Wong and make sure you catch him in action.  Don't let me down."

"Yes Sir!"

--------------------------------------

Hugging the stack of folders against her chest, Charmaine hurried along the narrow corridor towards the conference room.  She had just finished pulling the files together with only seconds to spare before the meeting began.  When she arrived at the conference room she was relieved to note that the meeting hasn't started.  She took a seat beside Kenneth and passed him one of the folders.

"Is everything in here?" Kenneth asked as he opened the folder to scan its contents.

Charmaine nodded, still out of breath from rushing over.  "I checked and double checked.  All the pertinent information is here."

Just then Derek Kwok entered the room.  All the chatting stopped as everyone turned to face him.  Derek sat down at the head of the table.  "Hello.  Let's begin with the meeting."  He then turned to his right and said to Wayne, "Tell me about your project."

Wayne opened his folder and took out a document.  He flipped to the third page and said, "The construction for the Gardens Apartment has now been completed.  We are currently in the marketing phrase which is scheduled to take place this week."

Derek nodded with approval.  "Who is overseeing the marketing?"

Wayne turned slightly to look at Charmaine and inclined his head for her to speak.

Taking his cue, Charmaine stood up and opened her own folder.  "Mr. Kwok, we will be marketing these apartments in a different manner this time.  Instead of the usual advertisement in newspaper and in front of the building itself, this time we are going to advertise the apartments in a place where people are bound to see it."

Piqued by her claims, Derek raised a brow and asked, "How so?"

"We have rented space in the Grand Central Plaza for this Thursday.  We're going to set up small molecules of our apartments so that the people can get a feel of how our apartments are before seeing it.  This way it saves ours and their time.  We all know how busy Hong Kong people are so we must make it convenient for everyone."

Derek didn't say anything as he thought about Charmaine's marketing concept.  Suddenly he smiled, "It's a great idea!  Who will be representing us?"

 Kenneth stood up and announced, "I will."

 "You?" Derek asked with disbelief.  Kenneth hasn't been around long enough to know how the process goes.  Looking at him skeptically, he asked, "Can you handle it?

Seeing Kenneth's flushed face, Charmaine quickly but softly injected, "Kenneth can handle it and I will be there to assist him if needed.  I don't think he will let us down."

"Then I think it would be a successful event," Derek said.  It was no secret in the company that Charmaine was a hardworking and capable employee.  Despite her soft spoken demeanor Charmaine had a way with people.  She sold more apartments than any of the other employees in the company and because of this Derek trusted her judgment.  Turning to the others he said, "What's next on our agenda?"

-----------------------------------------------

Ben looked down at the briefcase of goodies with a small wicked smile on his face.  "Did you notify Mr. X of the meeting place and time?"

Moses nodded as he put away his cell phone.  "I sent him a message using an anonymous name and number.  That's our secret code."

"Well done," Ben said.  He closed the briefcase and snapped it shut.  Running his fingers along the leathery box he smiled with anticipation.  "I can't wait for Thursday to come."

"Why?" Kenny asked.  "We've done tons of deals before.  What's so special about this one?"

Ben laughed – a sinister laugh.  Gulping down his brandy he held the glass up and said, "This time I get to see exactly what kind of man Sergeant Raymond Lam is."