Chapter 26

Loving You Forever

Charmaine walked into the coffee shop and saw Ben at once.  He was standing in front of a table looking in her direction, his hands behind him and a warm smile on his face.  She walked tensely up to him and greeted simply, “Hi.”

“Hi,” Ben greeted and ever the gentlemen pulled a chair out for her.  When she was seated he returned to his own chair opposite of her.  “What would you like to drink?”

Charmaine looked down at her lap and said, “Water will be fine.”

Ben summoned the waiter and ordered a cup of coffee for himself and their special lemon tea for Charmaine.  Ignoring her look of surprise, he then added a croissant to their order.  “Water is not going to relax you,” he informed her mater-of-factly.  “I can tell you’re very nervous about this meeting and what you're going to tell me.  Am I right?” he asked the latter softly.

Very perceptive of him as always, Charmaine thought.  Embarrassed by what she was going to say, Charmaine kept her eyes downcast and said awkwardly, “The o-offer…” she trailed off when the waiter returned with their drinks and a croissant.  He placed the croissant between them and after asking if there was anything else he can get them he sauntered off.

Ben slid the plate with the croissant towards her and said, “Try this.  It’s very good.”

“I’m not hungry.”  Charmaine said but she did take a sip of the hot lemon tea he ordered for her.

“How is it?” Ben asked keenly.

Puzzled by his question, Charmaine looked up at him, “How is what?”

Ben tilted his head at her cup, “The tea?”

Charmaine took another sip of the hot brew and noted the subtle taste of ginger in it.  It was very good.  Setting the cup back in its saucer she smiled faintly and said, “It’s very refreshing.”

Pleased that she liked the tea, Ben leaned back against his chair and took a small sip of his coffee.  After a few sips he set his cup down and looked at her.  “Why did you ask to meet me today?” he asked nonchalantly, but he knew why.  Had known the moment he received her out of the blue call.  Only he wanted her to confirm it.

Charmaine couldn’t seem to meet his eyes, letting her eyes wander over the expansion of the coffee shop instead.  Finally, knowing that it was pointless to procrastinate when she had made a decision, she locked her eyes with his.  “D-Does your o-offer still stand?” she inquired shakily.

Ben’s smile widened and he leaned forward in his chair, his arms resting on the table as his fingers formed a tent in front of him.  Yes! he shouted to himself.  He was right and it wasn't the victory of knowing that has adrenaline pumping throughout his body with exhilaration.  It was the fact that she will finally be his.  Something that he had been yearning for since the first time he laid eyes on her.  Keeping his face neutral he asked in return, “Will you be my wife in every sense of the word?  That includes sharing my bed."

Charmaine flushed, feeling her entire body burn with the directness of the question.  “I am,” she answered quietly and forced herself not to pull back her hand when Ben suddenly took it in his.

“Charmaine, you don’t know how happy I am,” Ben said gleefully, his eyes sparkling with bliss and excitement.  “I promise that you won’t regret your decision.”

“The money,” Charmaine reminded softly.  “Auntie needs the surgery right away.”

Ben sobered but the happy glow was still on his face.  Bringing her hand up to his lips, he kissed the knuckles and said, “I will give you the money once we are married.”

“But Auntie’s surgery is scheduled for next week,” Charmaine injected, her voice full of pleading.  “Raymond needs the money before then.”

Ben continued to regard her with doting eyes.  In a low voice he said rationally, “Then I suggest we wed as soon as possible, don’t you think?”

Ben’s words knocked the wind out of Charmaine.  When Ben proposed that they marry in exchange for the money, Charmaine naturally assume he meant marriage in the future, after they were more familiar with each other.  Never did she envision that she had to marry him right away in order to get the money.  “I thought…”

“Charmaine,” Ben said her name sensuously.  “I’m a business man and I like things in writing.”

Charmaine understood and the impact of his words depressed her extremely.  She wasn’t even going to be given any remaining time to spend with Raymond.  With her heart tightening at the thought, she whispered, “When do you want us to marry?”

“I’ll leave that up to you,” Ben said courteously.  “You’ll soon be my wife and as your loving husband it’ll be my pleasure to fulfill your every wish.”

Charmaine stared at him.  Could she really go through with it?  Sure Ben was nice to her and everything but she did not have any feelings for him.  With a numbness that her life will forever change because of this, she said quietly, “How about the end of the week?”  That’ll give her a little time to spend with Raymond.

“Your wish is my command.”  Ben leaned across the table and kissed her softly on the mouth.

Charmaine was too overwhelmed by everything that she didn't feel Ben’s kiss.  When he pulled back to look at her, Charmaine stared passively back at him.

Looking steadily at Charmaine and noting her non-responsiveness, Ben said slowly and firmly, "You don't have to go through with it if you don't want to."

Ben's words, spoken so calmly, broke Charmaine out of her reverie.  "I-I'm sorry," she said contritely.  "I just need some time to… to get use to you."

Ben accepted her apology and leaned forward to press his lips softly to hers again.  This time Charmaine made herself respond to his kiss.  Dreading the bile that would make her gag, Charmaine was surprise that the kiss was bearable and was thankful she didn't have the repulsive urge to immediately wipe when Ben pulled back to look at her.

With adoring amusement dancing in his eyes, Ben teased, "See, that wasn't so bad was it?"

Charmaine blushed and shook her head.  It felt strange to be kissed by someone other than Raymond and at the same time, her heart tugged knowing that she would never again feel Raymond's touch or kiss.  Lowering her head she picked up her bag and said, “I better go.”

Ben stood and helped Charmaine from her chair.  “My car is parked a block away.  Let me give you a lift.”

Charmaine wanted to say no but under his expectant gaze and the firm grip of his hand on her arm she relented.  “Thank you.”

Ben released the pressure on her arm and slid his hand down to clasp her hand.  Tugging on it lightly, he said tenderly, "Let's go," and with a silly, happy grin on his face, he led Charmaine out of the coffee shop.

Feeling trapped with no where to hide, Charmaine docilely followed him.

------------------------------------------------

"Hi Auntie," Mandy greeted as she stepped into the room with an arm full of flowers and a bag in the other.  She flashed a smile at Raymond in greeting before turning back to Gigi.  "I made some dumplings and soup for you."  She set the bag on the table and began the process of removing the items from it.

Gigi smiled brightly at Mandy.  She lifted her hand and Raymond immediately went to her side to help her into a sitting position.  "Just in time too.  I'm hungry."

Mandy set the food up on the table and then moved the table towards Gigi.  "It's still hot so eat slowly."

Gigi's smile was so cheery that Raymond couldn't resist teasing, "I guess Mandy's cooking is all the medication you need to feel better."

Looking up from her bowl of soup, Gigi said smartly, "If you two marry, I'll feel even better."

Mandy lowered her head with discomfort.  She could not understand why Gigi insists on them being together when it was obvious that Raymond did not love her anymore.  She had already accepted Raymond's decision and wished Gigi would too for the sake of everyone.

"Mom, please don't start that," Raymond begged softly.

Gigi made a huffing sound and resumed drinking her soup.  After swallowing a mouthful she asked, "Are you going to tell me where you got the money for my surgery?"

Raymond's entire being went still as his mind worked to come up with an answer that would appease his mom.  More important, one that she would believe with no further questions.

"Well?" Gigi prompted.  "It's not a hard question."

"I…," Raymond stuttered, looking from his mom's curious expression to Mandy's.

A knock on the door made them all turn towards it just as Charmaine entered.  "Hi," she said uncertainly when met with Gigi's cool stare.  "I bought you soup."

Gigi lifted her bowl for Charmaine to see and said snidely, "I'm already drinking Mandy's soup."

Charmaine's face fell but she quickly covered it with a small wavering smile.  "You could drink mine's later," she suggested softly and kept her gaze fixed on Gigi.

Raymond took the thermo from Charmaine and set it down on the table beside Mandy's items.  "She'll drink it later," he promised but Charmaine didn't make any response nor look at him.  In fact, not once since she entered the room did she look at him, which was very unusual.  Taking her hand, he asked quietly, "Are you alright?"

Charmaine finally turned to look at him and said, "I'm not Raymond.  Can we talk privately?"

Raymond nodded his head and walked with her to the door.  At the door, he turned to look at his mom, "I won't be long."