Chapter 4

Loving You Forever

   Raymond pulled his car into the driveway of Charmaine's building and parked in the first available spot.  Turning off the engine he gave her a quick smile before getting out of the car.

Charmaine opened her side of the door and got out as well.  She walked to the front of the car where Raymond was waiting.  "Thank you… uh Raymond… for driving me home," she said tentatively.  The familiarity of using his given name felt strange and awkward to her especially under the circumstances of their meeting.  Since she doubted she would ever see him again, she brushed the feelings aside and gave him a grateful smile.  "Thank you again for driving me home."

Raymond handed Charmaine her bag and said, "No thanks needed.  Do you want me to walk you up to your apartment?"  He saw the surprise on her face and wished he hadn't asked.  He knew he was being too forward but he wanted desperately to prolong his departure.  Although they have only met just last night, there was something about her that draws him to her.  He had never felt this way before or even understand what he was feeling.  All he knew was that once he left the odds of them seeing each other again was next to nothing.

Charmaine shook her head demurely but kept her smile in place.  "No thanks.  I'll be fine."

"Okay then," Raymond said reluctantly.  He clapped his hands together and went back around to the driver side.  He opened the door but didn't get in.  Standing with his hands on top of his car he looked at Charmaine one last time and said bleakly, "I guess this is goodbye then."

Charmaine nodded and their gaze held for the briefest of seconds before she abruptly looked away.  "G-Goodbye," she stammered, wondering why she was suddenly feeling so nervous and flushed.  Keeping her face averted, she quickly trotted towards her building.

Raymond remained standing by his car as he watched Charmaine walk up the driveway and disappeared into her building.  A feeling of loss overwhelmed him as he dully got into his car and started the engine.  Why was he feeling this way?  Charmaine Sheh was nothing to him.  She was merely a woman that he encountered during one of his operations.  Yet, he can't deny that he was drawn to her.  It wasn't so much her beauty for she was definitely beautiful.  There was something deeper in his feelings.  Something that he can't even describe or explain to himself.  Before he could dwell further into his feelings his cell phone rang.  "Yes?"  It was Nancy.  He was needed back at the station.  Casting one more glance at the door where Charmaine entered, Raymond backed the car and drove away.

Charmaine stepped out from behind the column to stand in front of the glass door as she watched Raymond drive away.  She didn't know why she remained in the lobby instead of going up to her apartment.  From her hiding place she watched Raymond get into his car.  Instead of driving away immediately, he merely sat there staring in her direction.  Luckily, a huge potted plant blocked her from his view.  It felt like a long time before he finally drove away.  When he did, Charmaine could not help but feel disappointed.  She didn't know what was causing all these complex emotions within her.  But whatever it was, she knew it had something to do with Raymond Lam.

-----------------------------------------

The air in the room was filled with the dingy smell of smoke.  In spite of the atrocious odor, the three occupants in the room didn't seem to mind.  They sat in a semi-circle facing a floor to ceiling glass window, each holding a cigar in one hand and a glass of brandy in the other.

"It's really good to have you back," Moses said.

Ben inhaled his cigar and blew rings of smoke into the already putrid air.  "It's good to be back.  Now that I'm staying permanently, fill me in on what's happening."

Kenny set his brandy glass down on a nearby table and leaned forward in his chair.  "Business is blooming.  We've made some new connections in Thailand.  With this new vendor, more money will be rolling in for us."

Taking in the good news, Ben asked, "How have we been exporting the goods?"

Moses spoke with a confident smile, "That's the easy part.  Our people have been spreading them on the streets.  Once spread, we wait a few days before retrieving the goods back.  It diverts the attention of the police and makes it harder for them to track it back to us."

Ben's gaze riveted to Moses and he asked, "The police?  Aren't they working for us?"

Kenny shook his head, a grave expression on his face.  "Our informant has been transferred to another area.  The new sergeant for our neighborhood isn't easily bribed.  In fact, he takes none at all."

Ben can't help but smile and said snidely, "You mean there are cops out there that cannot be corrupted?"

"Yes," Kenny responded with annoyance.  "We've tried everything but the man is as stubborn as you can get.  He even warned us not to try anything in his territory."

"That's why we have to be extra careful.  So far we've been lucky," Moses chimed in.

Getting up from his chair, Ben walked over to the windows.  He stared out at the beautiful blue sky.  It really was great being back in Hong Kong.  He didn't realize how much he missed it.  Still looking out the window he asked quietly, "Does Kenneth have any idea?"

"No," Moses immediately answered.  "During your absence we rarely kept in touch with him."

Ben turned to face h is two assistants, "Good, because I don't ever want him to know what I really do."

"We understand," Moses replied.

Dropping the topic of Kenneth, Ben lifted a brow and asked with mild curiosity, "By the way, what's the name of that new sergeant?"

"His name is Raymond Lam.  Sergeant Raymond Lam," Kenny said.

--------------------------------------------------

Mandy strolled down the streets.  Her eyes skimming each and every store's window display for the ideal gift.  She wanted to buy Raymond something special.  Something that held meaning.  Something that he would like.  It wasn't his birthday, or any special occasion.  She simply wanted to show him how much she valued him and their relationship.  Besides, who said gifts can only be given on special occasions.

Turning a corner her eyes landed on something that Raymond may like.  Mandy immediately went into the store and up to the sales clerk.  "Excuse me, may I see that money clip with the blue stripes?"  She pointed at the window.

The sales clerk smiled and from behind her pulled out a draw and took out a small box.  She lifted the lid of the box and held the money clip out for Mandy.

Mandy took the clip and examined it carefully.  It was perfect.  Exactly what Raymond needs.  Gently placing the clip back into the box she said, "I'll take it.  Can you have it wrapped for me?"

"Of course," the sales clerk said and dutifully began the wrapping process while Mandy looked around the store.  At the next counter she accidentally bumped into a guy who had his head bent, his attention focused solely in front of him.  He was studying a small floral pin in his hands.  "Sorry."  Mandy apologized.

Hearing a voice apologizing to him, Kenneth lifted his head to the stranger.  "Are you apologizing to me Miss?"

"Yes," Mandy said with an embarrass smile.

Baffled by the apology, Kenneth asked, "Why?"

"For bumping into you," Mandy explained.

Kenneth who had been studying the pin in his hands wasn't even aware that she had bumped into him.  Giving her a warm smile he said, "I didn't even feel it, so no apology necessary."  Mandy smiled in return and turned to walk away.  "Wait, Miss."

Mandy turned back to look at him, her brows raised in inquiry.

Kenneth held the floral pin out for her viewing and said, "Tell me what you think of this pin and do you think it'll make a good gift."

Mandy picked up the pin and inspected it carefully.  She returned it to his hands and said, "The pin is beautiful but it really depends on who you plan on giving it to.  If it's for an elder woman then she may appreciate the beauty of it.  If it's for a young woman then I advise not to waste the money."

Kenneth broke into a wide smile and handed the pin back to the sales clerk.  "That's what I think too.  However, I wasn't too sure and couldn't ask the sales clerk."  Leaning towards her he whispered, "These sales people would say anything to make a sale."

Mandy chuckled at the truth of his statement and walked back to her own counter.  The money clip was already wrapped.  After paying for her purchase she left the store with Kenneth following behind.  "Goodbye," she said.

Kenneth waved and then took off in the opposite direction.