Chapter 48

Loving You Forever

Gigi refilled the water pitcher on Charmaine's bedside and set it back down in place.  Placing the empty bowls back into the canvass bag she brought, she asked, "What would you like to eat tomorrow morning?  I'll make it and bring it over."

Charmaine smiled gratefully at Gigi and said, "Thank you Auntie, but you don't have to cook for me.  The hospital has meals for me."

"Nonsense," Gigi scolded warmly.  "Hospital food is disgusting.  I know that for a fact."

Nevertheless Charmaine felt awkward and protested softly, "It's really not that bad.  I don't want you exerting yourself for me."

Raymond spoke then, a cheeky grin on his face as he advised her, "My mom loves to cook and take care of people.  You'll only upset her if you refuse her generosity."

"That's right," Gigi chimed in instantly.  "Besides, I don't have anything to do at home."

"But…." Charmaine started but Raymond wouldn't let her finish.

"No buts," Raymond told her.  He then pushed the rolling table back and sat down on the bed beside her.  Looking at her he was happy to see that some of her color has returned.  She had frightened him the night she got shot.  He thought she would be taken away from him forever, without a chance for him to redeem himself to her.  When the doctor told them that she was going to be alright, the fear in him lingered.  That view has changed as the days passed.  Every day Charmaine was regaining her strength back.  Although her memory was still a blank, Raymond didn't mind.  He knew in time she would remember everything and him.  Pressure was the last thing he wanted to give her.  He owed her too much.  The shock of finding out what she had done turned to heartbreaking remorse.  He had treated her badly and he vowed to make it up to her.  Using his fingers, he brushed tendrils of hair behind her ear and said softly, "Visiting hours is over and we have to leave now."

While Charmaine may not remember Raymond but she feels a strong bond growing between them.  He had spent the entire day, every day, since she awoke from her surgery, by her bedside, talking to her, telling her about himself.  From time to time, he would mention how it was between them and how special she was to him.  Charmaine would blush every time he mentioned it and yet she can't push the nagging feeling that he wasn't telling her everything.  At times, she noticed that Raymond seem to have a faraway look whenever she asked him about her relationship with Ben, her husband.  Raymond did not like talking about him and she didn't want to ruin their rapport by constantly bringing him up.  Yet, Charmaine was very curious as to what led to her getting shot and why did Raymond claim it had to do with her husband.  That itself was a mystery.

Raymond noted the seriousness on Charmaine's face and asked, "What are you thinking about?"

Charmaine didn't feel at ease in telling him her thoughts.  After all she really didn't know him that well despite spending the past week with him.  So she said instead, "I was just wondering if you'll be coming to visit me tomorrow."

Raymond kept his gaze on her when he asked quietly, "Do you want me to?"

Charmaine flushed under his probing stare.  Looking down at her hands she replied softly, "I would like it very much.  It gets lonely here."

Raymond fully understood.  However, he was surprised that Ben had not paid her one visit since the night she was brought in.  For someone claiming how much he loved her, his actions were completely the opposite.  Having bumped into Kenneth a few days ago, Raymond ventured to ask about his brother's recent whereabouts.  Kenneth had responded that besides going to the office every day, Ben has remained at home, locked in his home office.  It was strange and anything that didn't make sense to Raymond also spells trouble for him.  He had an uncanny feeling that Ben Wong was up to no good and was planning something big up ahead.  Raymond had asked Nancy to keep tabs on Ben Wong and so far nothing suspicious has come up.  In the meantime, the only thing Raymond could do was stay alert and wait for Ben's move.  Pushing away the unpleasant thoughts of Ben, he smiled warmly at Charmaine and said, "Nothing will stop me from coming here every day to see you."

"And me too," Gigi added.  She touched Charmaine's arm and said wholeheartedly, "Don't worry too much about burdening me.  I really enjoy taking care of you."

Charmaine gave her a smile of gratitude and said softly, "Thank you Auntie for everything."

Raymond stood up and took the canvass bag from his mother's hand.  He looked one last time at Charmaine and said, "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

--------------------------------------------------

Mandy stared unseeingly down at her cup of coffee.  She hasn't seen or heard from Raymond in a week.  Ever since… since… She couldn't bring herself to think about Charmaine.  Stirring vigorously into her coffee, she tried to summon up the details of the meeting she had been in only a few hours ago but her thoughts kept returning to Charmaine, lying in the hospital.  She knew Raymond had been spending all his time at her bedside.  He may not have said it but Mandy knew it was over between them.  The hope that he had given her was gone.  All Mandy felt now was a void in her life that nothing can ever replace.  Sighing heavily, she rested her forehead onto her open palm and wept softly.  "Excuse me."  A gentle voice said to her.  Mandy lifted her teary gaze and was surprised to find Kenneth at her table.

"I saw you and stopped to say hello," Kenneth stammered, taking in her red-rimmed eyes and her forlorn expression.  "Am I intruding?"

Mandy wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and said, "No."  She gestured at a chair, "Please hve a seat.  I could actually use some company."

Kenneth nodded grimly and sat down.  He looked directly at her and said, "I'm sorry."

Puzzled by the apology, Mandy looked at him in inquiry, "Sorry for what?"

Kenneth looked down at his entwined hands.  He didn't want to see her accusing eyes blaming him for breaking her and Raymond up.  In a low voice, filled with regret and shame, he said, "If I didn't blurt the truth out to Raymond, you and him would be happily together right now instead of you sitting here alone crying."

Mandy was taken aback by Kenneth's assumptions of her feelings, which wasn't entirely correct.  She gave him a wavering smile and said, "Yes I am unhappy that Raymond and I won't be together any more but I am also relieved that Charmaine's secret is out.  She had suffered too much already."

"You're not mad at me?" Kenneth asked timidly.

"No," Mandy responded immediately.  She gave a soft smile and turned her gaze onto her mug.  "I admit I am unhappy about losing Raymond but I am also happy that he's reunited with the woman that he truly loves.  That itself outweighs my unhappiness."  She lifted her gaze to Kenneth and added, "As long as he's happy then I will be happy for him."

Kenneth was in awe of her forgiving nature and also her warm generosity.  He stared at her with admiration and said sincerely, "You're a very extraordinary woman.  One day you'll find a man who will love and cherish you the way you deserve to be."

Mandy laughed softly, her mood already lifting.  "Thank you.  I wish for the same."

Kenneth looked down at her mug and asked, "Are you finished?  If yes, can I drive you home?"

Mandy picked up her bag and stood up.  "Instead of driving me home, how about grabbing a bite to eat with me?  I haven't eaten anything since lunch."

Kenneth smiled and with open gallantry, he bowed and said, "Your wish is my command."

---------------------------------------------

Ben came out of his hiding place behind a tree and began following Raymond Lam and his mother.  He touched the bulge in the pocket of his jacket.  The feel of the hard metal against his fingertips exhilarated him.  He was going to kill Raymond Lam tonight.  With the lethalness of a cougar, he managed to stay hidden until he saw Raymond Lam arrive at his car.  Slipping his hand into his pocket he withdrew the gun and aimed it on Raymond.  He then stepped out in the open and shouted, "Lam Sir!"

Raymond was about to open his car door when he heard someone calling out his name.  Recognizing it as Ben Wong's he tensed and slowly turned towards him.

Ben watched with anticipation as Raymond turned.  This was it.  He was finally going to kill Raymond Lam.  He applied pressure on the trigger and a loud boom reverberated across the parking lot.