Chapter 8

Loving You Forever

Still reeling from Ben Wong's attempt at bribing him, Raymond stalked out of the restaurant.  He caught sight of a worried Benjamin a few stores away and gave him a brief nod.  It was an indication that everything was fine and there was no need to be alarmed.  Reading the silent message, Benjamin continued on his way.

Raymond walked back to his position by the metal rail.  The nerve of Ben Wong!  Did he actually believe that he would succumb to bribes?  This only goes to prove what idiots these so-called businessmen are.  Never would Raymond do anything illegal.  It wasn't in him.  Looking over the rail he saw a small crowd gathered behind a big long table.  He suddenly remembered - Charmaine Sheh was down there.  He scanned the crowd for her and found her easily.  She was standing by the big billboard talking animatedly to an elder couple.  Looking forward to talking to her again, Raymond headed for the escalators - his confrontation with Ben Wong completely forgotten.  As he descended he kept his eyes on her.  She was now talking to Kenneth and when he was on the landing she looked in his direction and saw him.  Their eyes held and something sort of electrifying shot through Raymond.

"Hi," Raymond greeted the moment he was upon them.

"Hi," Charmaine greeted shyly in return.

"Raymond!  What are you doing here?" Kenneth asked jovially.

Lowering his voice, Raymond said, "I'm actually working."

Raymond's response sent a jolt of dread through Kenneth.  He grabbed Raymond's arm, his eyes scanning wildly at his surroundings as he whispered hoarsely, "Is there another killer on the loose?"

Raymond burst out in laughter upon seeing Kenneth's reaction.  He, too remember all too clearly what happened that night when the three of them were together.  Patting Kenneth's hand, he said with assurance, "Don't worry.  Nothing like last time will happen."

Relieved, Kenneth dropped Raymond's arm.  "That's good to know.  I still have nightmares from that night."

Turning to Charmaine, Raymond asked, "How is your arm?"

Charmaine held her once injured arm out and bent it slightly to show him, "It has completely healed.  It still hurts a bit when I bend it but the doctor said it's normal."

Raymond nodded in agreement.  "The pain will ease with time.  Believe me, I know."  Looking at the thinning crowd at the sales table, he asked, "Are you guys finishing up?"

Kenneth glanced down at his watch, "Almost.  We're only allowed to use this space for two hours and we've spent over an hour on the set-up."

"Any sales?" Raymond asked for the sake of conversation rather than interest.  What he really wanted to ask was whether Charmaine was available to meet him for dinner that night or any night.

"Not one at all," Kenneth groaned with disappointment.  He looked over at Charmaine and said, "I thought for sure this would work."

Charmaine gave him an encouraging smile and said, "A lot of people left their names and numbers.  I'm sure those same people will be coming to our offices soon."

Out of nowhere a woman screamed.  The scream was deafening loud and chilling.  Raymond looked up and around the surrounding three floors.  People were frozen in place as all tried to locate the source of the scream.  Suddenly a body dropped from above landing approximately twenty feet from where they stood.

Charmaine saw the body crash onto the ground and let out a muffled scream of horror.  She quickly averted her face and was grateful to find Raymond right beside her.  He placed his arms around her to shield her from the sight of the dead body.

"S-She's dead," Kenneth croaked, his body trembling at the sight in front of him.

Taking in Kenneth's pale complexion, Raymond ordered roughly, "Look the other way!"  When Kenneth remained paralyzed in place, he forcibly turned him around so that his back was now facing the dead body.  Next, Raymond scanned the floors above for signs of Nancy and Benjamin.  He saw them running down the escalators towards him.  They arrived within seconds of each other.  "What happened?" he fired, noting that a crowd has already formed around the dead body while the plaza's security guards were now trying to push the crowd back.

Nancy and Benjamin exchanged baffled looks.  It was Nancy who spoke, "I was looking down when I heard the scream."

Raymond looked over at Benjamin and asked, "Did you see anything suspicious?"

Benjamin shook his head.  "I've been standing outside the restaurant where you met with Moses Chan and Kenny Wong.  I only left when I heard the scream."

Raymond was about to say something when he felt Charmaine shift in his arms.  He had almost forgotten that he was still holding her.  Releasing her a little, he looked down at her and asked softly, "Are you alright?"

Charmaine nodded dully and even managed a faint smile despite the paleness of her face.  "I-I think so."

Raymond brought his hands down from her arms to her hands.  It was icy cold.  "You're in shock," he stated and without thinking covered her hands with his.  He gave them a gentle squeeze and said, "Don't worry.  Everything will be fine."

Charmaine searched his face and found comfort in his words.  She didn't know why but she believed him.  "I know," she agreed softly.

Still holding her hands, he turned to Nancy and Benjamin who now looked at him with an odd expression.  Ignoring it, he said to Benjamin, "Benjamin, go talk to the security guards.  Confirm that back-up has been called and make sure they don't let anyone near the body until the forensic team arrives."  Benjamin immediately trotted over to the security guards.  Raymond then turned to Nancy, "I want you to get a head start and go around and see if anyone has seen anything."

"Yes Raymond," Nancy said.  However before she left, she darted a curious glance at Charmaine.

"Come with me," Raymond said softly to Charmaine and led her and Kenneth to an area out of sight from the crime scene.  Kenneth's color has returned to normal but Charmaine's face was still as pale as a ghost.  Looking directly at Charmaine, he said, "Stay here until the police questions you.  I should be done on my end by then as well.  I'll take you home."

Charmaine nodded in response and sat down beside Kenneth on one of the benches.  When Raymond was gone, Kenneth nudged Charmaine and said lightly, "Looks like Lam Sir is very concern about your well-being."

Charmaine lowered her eyes from Kenneth's probing gaze and reasoned, "He was worried about you too."

"Sure he was," Kenneth chuckled and with a twinkle in his eyes added, "But he didn't offer to drive me home and neither did he calm my fears by holding my hands."

At a loss for a response, Charmaine quickly looked away.  She, too, realized that Raymond's concern for her was anything but ordinary.  She had sensed it the first night they met.  Just now when he held her in his arms and afterwards taken her hands in his, it had felt natural.  Not only that.  Whenever he was around her, Charmaine felt safe and protected, like he was her knight in shining armor.  These feelings were all very new and strange and it was also very confusing.  However, one thing she was sure of.  Whatever her feelings were, she can't deny that she enjoys being with him.

------------------------------------------

With arms linked, Gigi and Mandy walked down the street market.  Various vendors lined the wide street offering their goodies.  At a vegetable stand, Gigi pointed at a case of broccoli and called out, "I would like two pounds please."  The vendor immediately began stuffing large broccoli florets into an orange plastic bag.

Amazed at the amount, Mandy said, "Auntie, isn't that too much."

Gigi shook her head as she paid for her purchase.  With a glowing smile, she told Mandy, "Raymond loves broccoli.  Since he promised to be home for dinner tonight, I'm going to cook all his favorite dishes."

"Still," Mandy said as she followed Gigi to the next vendor.  "That's a lot for the three of us."

Picking up a lobster and inspecting it, Gigi said, "Then I'll have leftovers for lunch tomorrow."

Mandy smiled and bent over beside Gigi to inspect the array of lobsters.  "How do you know which ones are good Auntie?"

Beaming at the question, Gigi handed the lobster to the vendor.  Picking up another lobster she turned it over and said to Mandy, "I'll show you what to look for.  After you and Raymond get marry, it'll be up to you to cook all of Raymond's favorite dishes."

Mandy smiled shyly in response.