Chapter 7

Loving You Forever

On a normal day the Grand Central Plaza is known to be crowded.  Today, with several promotional events occurring throughout the three story plaza, it was at its maximum capacity.  Raymond made his way around the swarm of people to his post on the second floor where Nancy waited.  He leaned against the metal rail overlooking the ground floor of the plaza.  "Is everything set?" he asked in a low murmur.

Nancy was facing the other way but she heard his question.  Pretending to rub her nose she responded, "Yes.  I'm going over to the other side now."

Raymond didn't make any acknowledgment.  He continued to look down at the ground floor.  A dozen or so people were setting up tables by the big water fountain.  His eyes moved to the gigantic billboard posted at the center.  Apparently, some real estate company was going to use the plaza to market their properties.  That will definitely draw a huge crowd.  As if this place wasn't packed enough as is, Raymond thought with irritation.  He lifted his gaze and saw Nancy at the rail directly across from him.  Pretending not to notice her, he swiftly brought his gaze back to the activities below.  Models of houses were now being brought in and set upon each table.  He shifted his gaze and he saw her.  Charmaine Sheh.  She was talking to a group of people and Raymond couldn't seem to tear his gaze away from her.  There was this invisible, magnetic energy that seem to draw him to her.  It was difficult to explain and yet so simple.  Since the first time he laid eyes on Charmaine Sheh he felt something for her.  He wasn't able to describe what his feelings were but one thing for sure, he was happy, no, make that exhilarated, at seeing her.  When he dropped her home that day, he didn't think he would ever see her again.  Now fate has stepped in and Raymond was eager to say hello.  He turned from the rail and almost bumped into a guy.  "Sor…." he trailed off when he saw who it was.

Moses gave him a friendly smile, "Lam Sir, how are you?"

"I was doing well until now," Raymond snipped.  He looked behind Moses at Kenny and said, "Were you able to gather all the information about me?"  Kenny did not respond.  He kept his features blank and unreadable.

"Lam Sir, I have someone who wants to see you," Moses said in a low voice.

Raymond scanned the area around him, hoping to catch a glimpse of Ben Wong hiding somewhere, before turning back to face Moses.  "Sure, bring me to see Ben Wong."

"I always knew you were smart," Moses chuckled then abruptly his heels.  After a few steps he turned his head back to look at Raymond, "Follow me."

Raymond glanced around him once more.  This time however, he paused briefly to make eye contact with Nancy.

On the other side of the floor, Nancy watched as Raymond followed Moses Chan and Kenny Wong into a restaurant.  Once they were out of sight she quickly spoke into a small microphone clipped to the collar of her jacket.  "Hey Benjamin , Raymond is with them now.  Tell everyone to be alert and keep their eyes open for anything that doesn't look right."

---------------------------------------------

Charmaine arranged the final accents around the model houses and stepped back in admiration.  Pleased with the results of the display she can't wait for the viewing to begin.  They have truly outdone themselves this time.

"Everything looks good!" Kenneth shouted from beside her.

Startled by his sudden appearance, Charmaine pressed a hand to her pumping heart.  "You scared me," she chided softly.

"Sorry," Kenneth said apologetically but there was no mistaking the impish grin on his face.  It was very hard to control the child within him, especially when it comes to pulling pranks like the one he just pulled on Charmaine.

Looking at her watch, Charmaine asked, "Where have you been?  You were supposed to help with setting it up."

"I'm sorry," Kenneth apologized again.  "My brother insisted on driving me over and we got stuck in traffic."

Accepting his explanation with an understanding smile, Charmaine nodded in the direction of the sales desk.  "We better hurry over and get ready.  The event will start soon."

"Kenneth!" Ben called out from a short distance.  He saw his brother turned towards him but it wasn't his brother his attention was focused on.  It was the woman standing next to him.  Captivated by her serene beauty, Ben's eyes remained glued on her as he approached them.

Surprised at seeing his brother, Kenneth asked, "What are you doing here?  I thought you had a meeting."

Remembering why he was there, Ben held a bag out to Kenneth and said, "You left this in my car.  I figure you must need it for work otherwise you wouldn't have brought it out."

Kenneth quickly grabbed the bag and said to Charmaine, "All the brochures for the properties are in here."

"How could you be so forgetful?" Ben scolded but there was no anger in his tone.

Smiling sheepishly at Ben, Kenneth said, "Thanks for bringing this to me.  We need this for the event we're hosting."

Ben gradually looked over at Charmaine and asked casually, "This is?"

"Forgive my manners," Kenneth began and went on with the introductions.  "Ben, this is my co-worker Charmaine Sheh.  Charmaine, meet my brother Ben."

Ben held his hand out to Charmaine and when she placed her hand in his he felt his pulse soar at the small contact.  "Nice to meet you," he said and held her hand a moment longer than necessary before letting it go altogether.

Charmaine felt the grip of his hand longer than the customary handshake.  Without being too obvious she gently pulled her hand away.  "Nice to meet you too," she said softly and was made uncomfortable by his intense perusal.  She quickly averted her face.

Unaware of his brother's evident interest in Charmaine, Kenneth reminded, "Don't you have an important meeting to attend?"

Ben snapped his attention back on Kenneth.  "Uh yes.  I'll see you later."  He looked at Charmaine again and said softly, "I hope we'll see each other again.  And soon."

Charmaine smiled uncertainly in return.  She didn't know whether she wanted to see him again.  The way he had been eyeing her, studying her, made her skin crawl.  He gave her a feeling of fear and that is totally ridiculous since they had just met him.  Nevertheless, the fear was very real and even now, with him gone, the chill in her bones was still there.

"Hey Charmaine, let's get to work," Kenneth called out to her from the sales desk.

Taking a deep breath to calm herself, Charmaine walked over to him.

---------------------------------------------------

"Where is he?" Raymond demanded.  He glanced impatiently at his watch.  They have been sitting here for the past fifteen minutes and no sign of Ben Wong anywhere.

"He's on his way," Moses assured and signaled the waiter for another round of beers.

Raymond stood up abruptly.  "I don't like to be kept waiting.  The next time he wants to see me, tell him to look for me at the station.  He should know where it is."  He turned to leave and came face to face with Ben Wong.

"Lam Sir, where is your patience?" Ben cooed.  Giving Raymond an overly bright smile he sat down.

Raymond retook his seat.  Leaning against his chair, he said sarcastically, "I'm glad that you decided to finally show up for the meeting YOU wanted to have with me."

"I apologize for my lateness," Ben said cordially and then explained in one word, "Traffic."

Forgetting about his enemy's tardiness, Raymond went right to the point, "What do you want to talk to me about?" he asked gruffly.

Ben picked up a bottle of beer from the bucket, and as if he had all the time in the world, took a small sip.  "I want to talk business with you.  Or shall I say your cooperation."

Raymond scoffed at his words.  "You and I have no business to discuss.  If your plan is to bribe me into cooperating with you then I'm afraid I have bad news.  The answer is no."

Not taking no for an answer, Ben offered with a polite smile, "Will five million dollars change your mind?"

Raymond laughed at the monetary amount.  Locking his gaze on Ben, Raymond stood up from his chair and said forcefully, "I don't take bribes and neither will I work with people like you."  He turned and was about to leave but looked over at Ben again.  "A word of advice," he said with a sly smile, "Try not to cause trouble on my territory."

Ben watched Raymond Lam walk away.  Did Lam Sir really think he was afraid of him just because he was cop.  Nothing will prevent him from making big money.  Nothing at all.