Chapter 28

Loving You Forever

Raymond sat gloomily in a corner of Gigi's room.  She was asleep and he was thankful for it.  It allows some time for him to ponder what happened to Charmaine.  She had miraculously disappeared without a trace.  Her phone was disconnected and when he went to her building, the security guard downstairs informed him that she had moved out, leaving no forwarding address.  He was sick with worry and the uncanny feeling that something went terribly wrong in their relationship would not stop nagging him.  He thought back to the last time he saw her, which was three days ago.  She had looked sad and troubled but he never got the chance to question her about it.  Recalling her strange behavior that day, he came to the abrupt conclusion that she had set out to entice and seduce him the moment she stepped into Gigi's hospital room.  It had worked.  He had been so lost and absorbed in the ual web she weaved around him that he forgot everything but her kiss, her touch.  Waking up and finding her gone was only the beginning of his nightmare as the day wore on and went into the next and still no sign or word from her.  Raking a hand through his unkempt hair he muttered under his breath with grating frustration, "Dammit Charmaine, where in hell are you?"

The door opened and Ron stepped in with a cheerful smile.  Clapping his hands together he announced, "I have great news Raymond."

Raymond slowly got up from his chair, his heart pounding with anticipation.  "What?"

Ron took a few steps closer and clasping Raymond's shoulder said jubilantly, "We've received an anonymous donation for your mom's surgery."

"What?" Raymond gasped in shock.  An anonymous donation?  He thought a miracle like that only happens in movies.  It didn't seem real to him.

Chuckling at Raymond's reaction, Ron said with building excitement, "A good hearted person sent in the money.  A very wealthy good hearted person," amended Ron.

Still in shock, Raymond croaked, "You mean someone just decided to pay for my mom's surgery?  I can't believe it.  How did they know about it in the first place?"

The question stumped Ron.  He didn't even think about that.  Donations are sent in from kind Samaritans all the time but only when a specific cause has been publicized through the media. Gigi's situation did not fall into that category.  Frowning slightly he said, "You're right.  That is very strange."  Resuming his cheery smile, he said, "But who cares?  Auntie is saved!"

The full meaning of Ron's news finally sunk in and a pure smile of pleasure appeared on Raymond's face.  "You're right.  Who cares where the money came from.  My mom will finally be alright!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Charmaine and Ben had a small wedding ceremony with only Moses and Kenny as their witnesses.  Not even Kenneth had been told of the happy news or invited to the happy occasion.  Ben wanted to wait for the right moment to tell his brother and also give Charmaine some time to prepare herself for Kenneth's reaction.  Luckily, Kenneth rarely returns to the house, opting to spend most of his nights at his rental apartment near his office.  This alone made it easier for Charmaine to adjust to her new surroundings.  Her first night there was full of uncertainty and fear.  Ben, always the gentlemen, situated her in a room next to his own.  After showing her there he politely asked if she was hungry and whether she would like to join him for dinner.  Declining the offer, Charmaine feigned tiredness.  She saw a flash of disappointment cross Ben's features at her response before he covered it with a beaming smile.  Making sure that she had everything she needed to feel comfortable, Ben wished her a goodnight and left her alone.

Throughout the night she kept recalling the memories of her afternoon with Raymond and as a result, she spent the entire night crying.  Morning came too soon for her and with it the dread of facing Ben in her pitiful state.  However Ben did not knock on her bedroom door, choosing to send a maid instead.  The maid brought her a small breakfast platter and then left.  The hours dragged and Charmaine remained in her room.  Meals were brought up to her and every so often a maid would knock and inquire if she needed anything.  It was only when daylight faded into night that Charmaine began to wonder and worry about her arrangement with Ben.  She hasn't seen or heard from him since yesterday.  Has he forgotten that she was there?  For the first time since she entered Ben's house, Charmaine left her room.  She slowly made her way downstairs and was stunned to see Ben dining alone.  He must have heard her for he turned towards the stairs and their eyes locked.

Holding her gaze, Ben stood up and walked towards her.  "I was just about to have dinner.  Would you join me?"

Charmaine heard the soft pleading in his voice and felt compelled to nod her head in assent.  She followed him to the vast table and before she was fully seated, a maid had lay down a place setting for her.

Ben picked up a piece of beef and placed it in her bowl.  "I hate eating alone.  I’m glad to have your company from now on."

Charmaine didn't know what to say in response.  So she merely gave him a small smile and slowly ate whatever Ben placed in her bowl.  Chew and swallow, chew and swallow.  She repeated that mantra in her head and soon her bowl was empty.

"Charmaine," Ben said her name softly but firmly when the maid cleared away the bowls and dishes.

Looking up Charmaine was struck by the tenderness on his face.  "Yes?"

Ben reached out and gently took her hand.  "Please don't feel pressured to do anything you don’t want to.  Yes, I would like it very much if you join me for meals but I want you to do it only if you want to.  Promise me you won't force yourself to do anything you don't want to."

Charmaine was taken aback by Ben's words and in the following three days he had shown her that he meant every word.  He never sought her out in her room and neither did he ask her to join him in any more meals.  He left the choices to her and when she would appear suddenly at the dining table he would give her such a brilliant smile that Charmaine can't help but feel gratitude for his understanding.  However, that will all change she thought.  Standing in the middle of Ben's bedroom, she cannot stop the tremors that continuously rack her as she waited for him to emerge from the adjoining bathroom.  It was their wedding night and she was now officially and legally his wife.  As she waited for Ben her thoughts turned to Raymond.  She wondered how he was doing.  Ben had wired the money to the hospital earlier in the day under an anonymous name.  Raymond should have received the news by now and Charmaine could image seeing his face aglow with happiness by the unexpected miracle.  A miracle that Charmaine made happen.  She heard the soft click of the bathroom door open and turned towards it.

Ben stepped out of the steamy bathroom and was surprised to find Charmaine in his room.  Hiding it he walked towards her stopping a foot away.  "How does it feel to be Mrs. Wong?" he asked softly.

Charmaine's face flamed at the title.  The color making her appear even more lovely and y against the ivory silk of her nightgown.  Lowering her head shyly, she admitted, "I'm still trying to get use to it."

Ben placed a finger beneath her chin and lifted her face up.  "I like calling you Mrs. Wong," he whispered and bent his head to kiss her.  The kiss was gentle and coaxing as he pulled Charmaine closer and wrapped his arms around her.  He felt her go rigid and immediately released her.  Taking a step back he studied her.

Charmaine became embarrassed under his gaze.  Lowering her head again, she asked meekly, "Do you want to go to bed now?"

Ben's eyes were dancing with amusement as he watched the shade of her face turn even redder.  Obviously, she was still rather shy around him and this was something he would have to work on.  In the meantime, he was more concerned about her comfort.  "Yes, bed sounds like a good idea but I intend to sleep alone."

Charmaine's gaze riveted to his in astonishment.  "I-I… thought… I…" she sputtered, "we… I…  I mean...."

Ben touched a finger to Charmaine's lips to cease her gibberish.  "I already told you.  I would never force you to do anything you don't want."  Looking hard at her he asked quietly, "Do you really want to sleep with me?"

Charmaine slowly shook her head in response.  She expected to see Ben's face darken with anger but was surprised to see a warm smile instead.

"We have the rest of our lives together so there's no need to rush into things."  Ben slid his hands up her arms to her shoulders and pulled her towards him.  He pressed his lips gently to hers and kissed her softly and leisurely and then pulled away.  "I am satisfied with just this until you are ready for more."

Charmaine was again astounded by Ben's compliance.  Before she could express her appreciation, Ben was guiding her out of his room and towards hers.  He threw her door open and after giving her another soft kiss, he disappeared into his own room.